SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The American Flag: A Symbol of Hate Speech on Campuses?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The American Flag: A Symbol of Hate Speech on Campuses? Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:...
The raptor in me got a little riled up...

Amen.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how hate-filled the United States is. How dare we give his parents (first generation immigrants) the opportunity to raise one very successful child and send another to UC Irvine. America is not the land of opportunity, if it were he'd be going to Harvard. Instead he's in a school that only cost $30,000 a year to attend.

How can he in a matter of sentences go from saying there is no class mobility and US is a place of oppression to his parents came her for the American dream? WTF, he is actually living the American dream while bashing the United States? I wish someone would point out the irony to him.

Hey fuckstick go ask your parents if they regret coming here. Go ask them if you would have been afforded the same opportunities had they stayed.

I hope you choke to death while eating a bag of dicks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
There are people from every race, creed and color in this country that have made it to the top of every industry and class. They achieved that through drive, determination, and at times sacrifice.

They did not make it by sitting around on their butts, taking public money, and demanding that society change so that they can get everything for nothing.

amen to that. 99% of my clients are very wealthy.. I'd say I have less white clients than hispanic, black, and Indian.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I posted a while ago, it might fit here. Last Fall at a college staff day to open the school year, the school's Pres hand picked "minority" told the entire auditorium "it is more important for a student to get and use political power while in college than it is to gain marketable skills".

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I posted a while ago, it might fit here. Last Fall at a college staff day to open the school year, the school's Pres hand picked "minority" told the entire auditorium "it is more important for a student to get and use political power while in college than it is to gain marketable skills".

Well, views like that being espoused by a college president may make his assertion that almost every professor he talked to supported him more likely to be true.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:...Well, views like that being espoused by a college president may make his assertion that almost every professor he talked to supported him more likely to be true.

Sidenote, also posted quite a while ago.

Some years ago I interviewed for a full time college teaching position (in accounting). They extended the application deadline because, in the words of the admin asst (off the record), "we didn't get enough of the right kinds of applications".

I made it to the final round to interview with the Dean, Head of Dept, Academic VP, and the Districts "diversity" officer. The dominant question was "how do you promote diversity in the classroom?"

I told them I treat everyone the same, with decency, respect and encouragement. I don't favor or disfavor anyone because of their status or background or life choices (other than the choice to attend and study, or not). We are all there to learn and grow.

Wrong answer.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Most failure is rooted in bad decisions. I see a lot of people complaining about how tough things are for them financially, yet they are wearing $200 tennis shoes, gold rings and necklaces, have $10,000 in tattoos on their skin, are smoking, and drinking. Yet somehow they don't have enough money to pay their bills or buy food.

Bad decisions....just bad decisions...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
[ The dominant question was "how do you promote diversity in the classroom?"

I told them I treat everyone the same, with decency, respect and encouragement. I don't favor or disfavor anyone because of their status or background or life choices (other than the choice to attend and study, or not). We are all there to learn and grow.

Wrong answer.

How sad that such a reasonable, well thought out answer to such an unreasonable question has come to be universally decried as wrong.

I, for one, feel that your answer was, and always will be, correct.

I also suspect that you knew very well at the time you gave that answer that it would be considered 'wrong' and yet you gave it anyway. For that, I hold you in the highest esteem.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post