SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Spray Is Best For Dandelions & Fruit Trees?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Spray Is Best For Dandelions & Fruit Trees? Login/Join 
Picture of jtedescucci
posted
I'm really wanting to spray my fruit trees - apple, pear, & peach - this year to TRY to protect them & get a little better yield. I only have one of each but each year a blight or bugs, I don't know which, comes along and just destroys the leaves & most of the fruit. Of course I could go exploring on the net & find out what others think is best - but I prefer to come here & ask those I KNOW have had first-hand, direct experience with this problem & solution. So which "poison"is BEST for these trees?........
And which spray is best for dandelions? I have about 2 acres that seem to be more dandelion infested every year.... And what would be the best way to apply the spray in both of these scenarios? Pump-up sprayer or 20 gallon broadcast sprayer on the back of my riding mower? As I said, I TRUST the advice of this forum over any other. THANKS IN ADVANCE...... FredT

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on your fruit trees but simple Weed B Gone works for me on dandelions. I follow the label and usually apply twice with a 25 gallon sprayer on my ATV.

If your weeds get tougher than dandelions, I would use Curtail.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trimec is a spray that is very good for broadleaf weeds (dandelions) in a yard. you won't find it at walmart... I would broadcast spray 2 acres, but I'm lazy... Pump up will work. You might need 2 doses 2 weeks apart for tough weeds (and dandelions are tough). Sooner is better - if they're small & growing, any chem will work better.

I don't have a rec for fruit trees. Your local ag store would be a good place to start - a lot of family run stores sell bulk chemicals to farmers & have a lot of knowledge. I just 'call Moe' whom we have bought 100s of thousands of dollars in chemicals from over the years.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Spraying to kill dandelions will also kill the bees. That's bad. No bees, no pollination, no food, and of course poor quality and quantity fruit.

You might want to read up on spraying with dormant oil way early on to smother certain insects that affect the fruit. That's safe.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was going to recommend Miracle Grow® but I see now that was misguided....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Spraying to kill dandelions will also kill the bees. That's bad. No bees, no pollination, no food, and of course poor quality and quantity fruit.

You might want to read up on spraying with dormant oil way early on to smother certain insects that affect the fruit. That's safe.

How does spraying for Dandelions kill bees? Are there herbicides that are also insecticides or are Dandelions an important source of food for the bees?

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had similar issues with Fruit trees. Where I live the County Agent often has these answers. The local nursery not the big box stores generally are pretty intelligent when it comes to diagnosing these things. Sometimes it is just not cost effective to treat them. Take some good pictures and bring them to the County Agent or local nursery that sells fruit trees. I wish I could help more. There are huge regional differences with these trees.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
You need to put a name on your problem. Look up fire blight, as that sorta sounds like what you're describing.

Once you know what it is you can treat it. Dormant oil spray is a pretty basic treatment and very common. I would start there ( I'm thinking too late for this year but maybe not).

You need to figure on multiple applications of multiple products, insecticides, fungicides, and fertilizer. Pruning, don't underestimate pruning. Peach pruning is an art and science unto itself. The fruit grows on two year old growth only, IIRC.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5145 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about peaches, but for apple and pear trees to bear fruit, you need a pollinator of the same species. If you only have one apple tree, you're not going to get much fruit.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post