SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can An iPad Be Your Main Computer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can An iPad Be Your Main Computer? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
If you don't need things like office, etc, then absolutely

I haven't had a dedicated laptop for just me for the better part of a decade

Don’t they make Office for iOS now?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a desktop computer, I rarely turn it on. I use my iPad for most everything that I need a computer for.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're thinking about an iPad Pro, take a look at the Surface pro. It is a really good cross between a desktop (requires a dock station), a tablet, and a laptop. I haven't turned on a desktop or laptop in months. I do a lot of coding, document editing, and spreadsheets. A real keyboard and multiple monitors are a must have for what I mainly use a computer for. It also lets you use an external (USB) hard drive for disk storage. Neither are as cheap as a typical tablet.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
If you don't need things like office, etc, then absolutely

I haven't had a dedicated laptop for just me for the better part of a decade

Don’t they make Office for iOS now?

Yes and No.

MS really only offers the full featured version of their Office suite for PCs running Windows. Yes, they make a Mac version but it's severely compromised and lacks a lot of advanced features you'll only get with Windows. Fortunately for those who have a need to run Windows based software, Macs can be dual booted to run Windows side by side or in VM.

I wrote a good bit of VBA Macros for a work project at work. It was an absolute train wreck on the latest version of Office for Mac. I had to reinstall the 2011 version of Office for Mac and it still required a LOT of adjustments to run.

Based on my experience I wouldn't expect much from an iOS version of Office. I suppose it would be fine for building a checkbook ledger and checking email in Outlook on an iPad, but I sure wouldn't want to depend on it.

dj hit the nail on the head. It really depends on your intended usage. My mom does everything she wants on her iPad. If I had to rely on an iPad for work, I'd probably end up using a graphics app to make a bulls eye and I'd use it for a target at the shooting range.

Everything that I take for granted on a Mac or PC feels like simultaneously rubbing my belly and patting my head on an iPad.

They have made improvements, but the latest iOS file system is rudimentary at best. Don't have independent user accounts. Have to jump through hoops to store data externally, etc. Basically Microsoft kept beating their heads on their tablets until they got their Surface Pros to a point to where the iPad should have been from inception.

It's a different mindset. Microsoft products are of, by and for computer geeks.

Apple products are here, their queer, and their in your face... Pretty much a hipster/hippie's wet dream.

I'm pretty much all Apple at home and PC at work. They both have strengths and shortcomings. For me, an iPad is a luxury item not a real tool. I can see the newer Surface Pros raising the bar, but then again they're probably plagued by all the same stuff Windows products are famous for.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I know the iPad does not support a mouse.

For me to be productive I would need a mouse and a keyboard

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm so TOTALLY done with the iPad. Fooled once again, I bought the iPad Pro thinking the windowing and support of MS Office products would finally do it for me. The windowing is pretty much so rigid that it's fake. The support of Office is only if you have an Office 365 account and store in the cloud. And I'm sure as others have said it will be severely neutered.

I am (or was) an Apple Fanboy. I just got a MS Surface a few weeks back and using One Note, (for the first time in tablet mode) I'm a changed man. I'll never again buy an iPad. I do still like my Macbook Pro and the "Messages" app duality on the iPhone to Mac. But I'm starting to consider new options. Going "all in" on Google is a possibility for me someday.

Back to the iPad. It is (IMO) a telephone for computing power and resources. Employ those services from the cloud (and live with the limitations of windowing, screen size, and peripheral support) and it could work for you.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
No, but a Microsoft Surface can. We have the Director of IT using it exclusively for all his needs. I am saving up for one.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
You can make an iPad work. My wife uses her's exclusively. Me, I have one but only use it to read the morning paper (digital delivery) and occasionally to do web stuff. For me, a nice fast desktop with a large, bright monitor is much more comfortable to use and does more with a simpler interface.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say no - when you need an actual PC (laptop/desktop) nothing will replace it. I'd say that a Surface would come much closer to bridging that gap since you can plug in USB devices (such as backing up your phone etc) - managing your wifi router/access point etc.

Phones/tablets are fine for browsing, but anything a little more serious and they are significantly lacking.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
NO.... Not until Apple builds a decent file management system in the iPad. The file management in IOS11 is not the answer.

Posts: 828 | Registered: January 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
I'd say no - when you need an actual PC (laptop/desktop) nothing will replace it. I'd say that a Surface would come much closer to bridging that gap since you can plug in USB devices (such as backing up your phone etc) - managing your wifi router/access point etc.

Phones/tablets are fine for browsing, but anything a little more serious and they are significantly lacking.

The Surface Pro is a full fledged laptop. There shouldn't be any gaps at all, other than requiring a flat surface to use the thin keyboard (the kickstand on the surface is hard to use on your lap). I went from a Surface back to a laptop because I wanted a dedicated video card, but otherwise, it was literally laptop hardware in a tablet form factor.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
No.

Another MSFT Surface Pro user here.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Worked for me for many years. I still have a desktop (Mac Mini quad core with 16gb memory expansion, and 2 Hd slots and both will take SSD’s) that I boot up twice a month to pay bills and use for storage. So 99% is iPaD. I migrated to the large pad pro when they came out so the larger screen will be extremely beneficial if converting. Get the pro. Together with APPLE TV boxes, well the iPad serves as the controller and the remote. You can mirror the iPad on a flatscreen/tv, or use it to control the $79 Apple TV box. I’d do it tomorrow. Since leaving Microsoft I’ve spent zero time troubleshooting a g damn thing. My iPhone and iPad get backed up regularly to iTunes on my Mac mini. So if the phone or iPad ever takes a dump, I can wipe it and restore in minutes. Also helps as iOS isn’t targeted like MS Os is (virus, etc) so if it does catch a cold I can simply restore it. I very much like the simple iOS interface and light weightness of it compared to full blown OS for general surfing, buy/click stuff, and especially for Sig Forum use. I do not own a laptop and don’t need one. You can buy the wireless keyboard for the iPad and get the pen. I have a keyboard for mine but never use it. Apple stuff retains solid value as well so if you go iPad, get a hoss case that protects both sides when not in use, maintain it well, and you’ll get solid value for it when you choose to upgrade. If we looked at residual or resale value with puters then Apple kicks everyone’ ass Mike Tyson in his prime style.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Mac upstairs in my office, but use my iPad and phone for 90% of anything I personally need.

My wife, on the other hand uses her iPad and phone almost exclusively. I think she's been up and used the computer 2-3 times over the past year. She, for one, can almost definitely go without an actual computer.

It's all about your usage and needs.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3479 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with iPads, but I have trouble using anything with a display less than 17" diagonal (my laptop has one), and my desktop PC has a 27" wide monitor. (I LOVE it!) A full-sized tactile keyboard (the keys move and make noise) is also a requirement, as I'm a touch typist.

Ergo, for me an iPad would not work.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I decided to forget the iPad idea and ordered a Samsung Chromebook instead.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have an iPad Pro and a self built home computer. The iPad is great for email, games, and surfing the web but in no way could it replace my computer. I do all of my photo and video editing on my computer plus burning things to a cd, dvd, or blue-ray. Yes I can use a Photoshop or Lightroom on my iPad, but it is so much easier and better on my computer.

It is great to have both, but I don’t see the iPad replacing the computer.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post