SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can An iPad Be Your Main Computer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can An iPad Be Your Main Computer? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
We have this crappy little HP Win10 laptop that I hate and got to thinking that since we barely use it and seem to use our iPhones for just about everything, why not pick up an iPad with a KB to use as our "computer" when we don't want to use our phones. Maybe like when typing up a document or going online to browse and order stuff.

How does it work with multiple users? Or does it not work with multiple logins? Or do we each need our own?

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Definitely, if you get one of the “Pro” versions with enough memory. Mine is all I use 99% of the time.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a Mac tower we have not turned on in months. My bride and each have an iPad and a phone. It seams sufficient for all we need. We use the same address on the iPads but different phone numbers.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If you are just surfing the web, emails, and typing up documents, and the occasional spreadsheet, sure. A regular iPad should be sufficient.

An iPad pro will give you more horsepower and more screen real estate if you need to do more with your documents or spreadsheets, and the occasional edited photo.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Another NO here.
Tablets have no storage capacity so basicaly they're fine for browsing but you won't collect much stuff on the go or quickly with be deciding what to dump in order to keep what you're holding.

They can be great help but IMO they won't replace main programs and storage ability any time soon. Great and practical additions to your household or work but no main computer replacement.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you use a computer for.
Much of my serious computer work requires scanning financial documents (bills, etc.), saving them in files and folders, then retrieving those documents as needed. Up until now the iPad has not had a good file management system, I understand the new version of iOS will change that.
Also I do photo and occasionally video editing of family stuff, and prefer the more powerful software on the computer (not to mention the 27 inch 4K monitor screen).
But for e-mail, surfing the internet, and occasional need for spreadsheets or word processing, yes, you can get by with an iPad.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Another NO here.
Tablets have no storage capacity so basicaly they're fine for browsing but you won't collect much stuff on the go or quickly with be deciding what to dump in order to keep what you're holding.

If you're comfortable storing your stuff in a google, outlook.com, etc. account, you can have plenty of storage, though there will be an recurring fee if the free-storage level isn't enough.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
No, its a tablet. It's not a laptop or desktop replacement.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We’re an all Apple household. Mac desktop, iPads, and iPhones. Like others have said, I used my iPad 90% of the time, but the simple fact that an iPad has no USB ports limits it’s versatility across the board. Doesn’t matter if it’s a laptop or a desktop, I just think one or the other needs to be around.

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Correct answer is that it depends on how you use a computer.

If almost all you use a computer for is to surf the net and check emails an iPad or tablet is going to be more convenient than a laptop or desktop.

If you do serious file handling, document editing, photographic work etc you need the greater power and flexibility of a real computer.

For most people an iPad or tablet can meet a large percentage of their computing needs...........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My set-up for nearly 5 years was an iMac and a iPad. It was cheaper than a PowerBook.

Used the iMac for serious business (ie complex spreadsheets) and the iPad for monkey business (travel as well as surfing the web from my recliner). I was a high tier frequent flyer, and the iPad was great for travel.

Something came up in my personal life where I need to be able to do more complex personal computing no matter where I am. I looked at the iPad Pro, but ended up with a 13” Macbook Pro. Only downside is it’s a tad heavier (3 lbs vs 1.5 lbs), and I cannot open it until the plane reaches 10000 ft. However, the pros outweigh the cons.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I have for several years. You'll want a wifi printer.

I'm far from being a computer person though. 99% of my use is as a substitute for a newspaper and access to Amazon etc.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5147 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I use my iPad for 95% of my work. I remote in to a desktop when I can’t , and only use my laptop at home if i absolutely need to.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I sure can't.
to me an iPad is an iPhone w/o the telephone. way too limited to sub out my MacBook pro.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8342 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Depends what you use a computer for.

This.

I tried to make it replacement, but it can't do everything I need it to do. It's great for a day where I don't want to bring my computer out to a job site but my computer is in the car in case I need it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
A no vote for me. I've been taking online college courses full time while on the road, and thought I could ditch the laptop. My 10.5" pro just wasn't adequate for the large amount of writing, even using Microsoft word. It's very cumbersome to edit a document or presentation, and now I just carry a Windows laptop anyway.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an 11" Mac air as main computer and a iPad mini 3 for traveling.

I found more storage larger screen and faster tying on the Air, plus plug into a printer.

So, my answer to you would be no.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
No

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
If you don't need things like office, etc, then absolutely

I haven't had a dedicated laptop for just me for the better part of a decade

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post