SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big Oops - wrong Eugene taken to hospital files suit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Oops - wrong Eugene taken to hospital files suit Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted
Some pockets are going to get emptied over this...

Eugene Wright of Meadville says police and medical workers got the wrong man when they transported him to the local hospital this summer and injected him with anti-psychotic drugs against his will, thinking he was someone else.
>>>
Mr. Wright said he was walking to his car near his home after completing his shift at an auto parts store on June 15 when two Meadville police officers and a representative of the crisis center confronted him.

The officers told him he'd been at his orthopedic doctor's office that morning and made threats to harm himself and others.
This is what Mr. Wright says happened next, according to his complaint:
Mr. Wright said they had the wrong guy.

But he said they refused to check his identity or call his employer, then handcuffed him and drove him to Meadville Medical Center

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Forgot to add the link.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Incredible.

Those maroons need to be thankful that injection didn't either trigger an adverse reaction that left a permanent disability or kill him.

Everyone involved should lose their job, medical licenses, police authorities, pensions, houses, bank accounts, in sum be left destitute and homeless, after first serving 25 years for kidnapping and wrongful injury under color of authority.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Every time I been to any form of medical treatment, whether it was a doctor's visit, blood test or a procedure done in the hospital, they check my id several times and ask questions to verify it. This staff must have been complete idiots.

Any wonder mistaken identity by a patient causes a large number of incidents.

This report is a bit nearvewracking.

https://www.ecri.org/Resources...Literature_final.pdf

4 statistics that prove there’s a patient identification crisis
Feb 26, 2016
Hospitals are suffering a patient identity error crisis and they don’t even know it
A patient identification crisis is gripping hospitals’ EMPI and EHR systems. Patient identification errors threaten to harm patient safety, impact revenue cycle efficiency, and reduce profit margin and market share. Here are 4 statistics that illustrate how patient identification errors have become a critical issue for hospitals:

7-10% of patients are misidentified when their EMPI and EHR records are being searched and 6% of these patients experience an adverse event. AHIMA reports that 8-12% of EHR records are duplicates. Still more patients may suffer medical errors due to missing health information in their records, or overlays that mingle multiple patients’ records together.
Roughly 2.3 million Americans were victims of medical identity theft in 2014, and had to pay an average of $13,450 in out-of-pocket expenses. Medical identity theft is estimated to cost the healthcare industry over $30 billion a year.
Traditional patient identifiers, such as oral demographic data, Social Security Numbers, and patients’ addresses, can be easily mistyped and cause preventable medical errors. Preventable medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the United States, causing an estimated 440,000 deaths per year.
Cleansing inaccurate patient records can be costly for hospitals. The average cost to resolve a single duplicate medical record is $1,000. If 8% of a hospital’s records are duplicates, the costs to clean their EMPI database and EHR records increase exponentially.

Over the summer I read a book recommended by a friend..The Checklist Manifesto. Dealing mainly with the medical profession, seeing the issues in healthcare due to mistakes is alarming.

But there is no way in hell my department would have made that apprehension without a court order from a judge and identification being made. It was easy enough to do using several means.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much punitive damages will be over the inevitable medmal.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The police should be held responsible too.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
The police should be held criminally responsible too.

I think you left out a word.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bullshit.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
But they gave him $75 in gift cards so it's all good, right?

Stupid people.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't understand this...did they think this guy is suddenly going to feel his life is back to normal after this experience because he got a couple of gift cards? Eek

quote:

Mr. Wright said the hospital later apologized to him and gave him a $50 gift card for a restaurant. The crisis center also apologized and gave him a $25 Walmart gift card.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
But they gave him $75 in gift cards so it's all good, right?

Stupid people.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Dude hit the lotto Eek

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Dude hit the lotto Eek

Yup, he sure did. Lucky bastard.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
[url=https://imgflip.com/memegenerator][/url]

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I doubt it will ever get to trial. If it did, the award would likely not be as much as you might think (especially after the judge adjusts it and it gets reduced on appeal.)

quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I wonder how much punitive damages will be over the inevitable medmal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Every time I been to any form of medical treatment, whether it was a doctor's visit, blood test or a procedure done in the hospital, they check my id several times and ask questions to verify it. This staff must have been complete idiots.

I wonder how in the hell the police handcuffed and transported WITHOUT checking his ID. I can't even remember the last time I saw a cop talking to someone in an official capacity that didn't have to produce ID.
I get that it happens when there isn't one present but this guy was asking them to check!

Jesusinatortilla! We would check IDs just to fill out EMS paperwork. I have a feeling they will regret a BUNCH the info they took as true & correct from the "representative of the crisis center".

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thinking the police department should have thrown in a 25 dollar Chili's gift card as well.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder how in the hell the police handcuffed and transported WITHOUT checking his ID.

The article made it sound like one of the officers personally knew Eugene Wright, the auto parts person, and assumed it was the same Eugene Wright that made the threats.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So all of this raises the question...what happened to the guy they were actually looking for?

Hmmmm...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wright has hit the LOTTO. What a cluster ****.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
He he psychotic? No? Then it worked! Motion to dismiss your honor.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Thinking the police department should have thrown in a 25 dollar Chili's gift card as well.

You cheap bastards! What's he supposed to do for dessert? Why no gift cards to the local ice cream parlor? If you want your screw up to just go away, its going to cost you dessert, too.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post