SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone still using your old 35mm camera?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still using your old 35mm camera? Login/Join 
posted
While I recently bought a Sony RX100m2 digital camera, I still have a Canon AE-1 35mm camera that I bought back in the 80’s. I’ll have to dig it out tomorrow but I think I have a 75-200 zoom lens and another zoom lens, but I can’t remember which as I sit here sleepless tonight.

I didn’t know you could still get 35mm film developed at CVS and Walgreens these days.

So I am just curious who else still uses these ancient devices. I’m going to dig mine out and have some fun with my new fangled digital camera and an old film camera.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Kodak recently brought back Ektachrome film. There is also a new Super 8mm movie camera.

https://www.kodak.com/consumer...s/super8/default.htm

I'm not sure who will want to pay $2,500-$3,000 for that.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I hung on to my Canon F1n, with power winder, assorted lenses, and flash till this last spring. Traded them in at a camera store in a nearby college town (Ann Arbor). Was given a Nikon 5600, which I thought was a damn good deal. Seems like there is a niche market for film camera's around college campuses.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I found my old Ricoh. The lenses are clouded and everything seems to be locked up. I should probably toss it.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I'm not using a 35mm right now - I'm using a Polaroid 600!

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Speaking of that Cannon AE-1... back in the 70's while in college and taking photography I had a friend who bought one (I was using a Pentax back then even though I moved up to Nikon later)... I told him I would never buy a camera that would not work if the battery went dead which was part of the design of the AE-1.

Boy was I wrong.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have a pile of old film cameras. Unfortunately there’s nobody local that processes film.

Never had any interest in digital cameras until I got an iphone. I use the camera in it frequently.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I still have my Nikon FM, and an ancient Nikon F with the photonic head. I haven't used them in 20 years.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My Nikomat EL sits in the closet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My Minolta SRT-101 is still around.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I have several that I use, but the two I prefer the most and love the most are my Yashica Electro35 GTN rangefinder (rare all-black variant of the common silver GSN), and my Minolta X-570, both in mint condition, and both loaded with Ilford Delta 400 B&W film... my long-time favorite!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have two Minolta bodies and several lenses, I hold on to them thinking I'll shoot film again. I'm probably just kidding myself.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an old Minolta body and lenses. Supposedly the Sony Alpha camera can use the old Minolta lenses, but I've not got around to checking into it.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I use my old Olympus OM-2 quite regularly. I bought it in 1983 and used it my last two years of high school as the yearbook photographer. It's starting to develop a light leak, and I don't think the seals are available anymore. Might be time to retire it.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Were you by chance in SE Asia? I also still have my Yashica that I bought at the PX in LongBinh in 1970.

quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
I have several that I use, but the two I prefer the most and love the most are my Yashica Electro35 GTN rangefinder (rare all-black variant of the common silver GSN), and my Minolta X-570, both in mint condition, and both loaded with Ilford Delta 400 B&W film... my long-time favorite!

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Same here. I used to shoot training slides and photos(about 500 rolls year). I haven’t even picked up my AE-1s in years. The camera in my cell phone works well enough for the shots I need these days.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon D200 digital that I use most of the time, although the cell phone camera is proving to be more convenient. I also have an old F-2AS body, but I haven't actually used it in years. I've got a stash of film in a tupperware box in the fridge, but it's 18+ years old now (I was using an F-4 at the time I bought it) and probably isn't good to use anymore. I should probably get rid of it - make room in the fridge for more leftovers.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Nikon F3. I crank it up every now and then just to hear the motor....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I still have a Pentax ME Super with 3 lenses, auto winder and flash. I haven't even looked at it in 25 years or so. I'll have to see if it still works.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have a Canon T-90 with two lenses (1.4 50mm and a 135mm).

Been debating about either buying a darkroom setup or selling and updating to a digital.

Still - it always cracks me up when a [digital] photographer has to look at his/her view screen after each shot to determine if they got the desired shot. To my wife's chagrin, I will typically point it out to my wife and comment, in a louder than typical voice, "gee, can imagine how bad those photos might be if they relied on film?"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post