SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Francisco airport officials say there's a 'surge' of homeless people taking shelter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Francisco airport officials say there's a 'surge' of homeless people taking shelter Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
This city has this kind of homeless problem but they're quite proud to call themselves a "sanctuary city" and routinely flaunt that fact. Great - send them a whole bunch of illegals Mr. Trump! Let's see what results from this special kind of reasoning.

Officials at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) are evaluating how to best address the growing issue of homeless people taking shelter in the air hub, the latest challenge stemming from the northern California city’s homelessness crisis.

Earlier this week, Fox 2 KTVU reported that SFO is experiencing a recent “surge” of homeless people taking refuge in the busy airport; many are said to arrive in the middle of the night via BART trains south from the city, as per the San Francisco Chronicle.

Though reps for SFO did not immediately return Fox News’ request for comment on the story, spokesperson Doug Yagel told KTVU that administrators are working hard to produce effective short and long-term solutions to the matter.

"We might make SamTrans tokens available to them. We might, if they're eligible, transport them to a nearby homeless shelter, if BART is still running we can give them a token to a BART train,” Yagel said of possible, immediate resolutions.

"Ultimately we want to develop advocacy that finds the proper channels for these individuals," he continued. "So, we're starting to reach out to homeless advocacy in San Mateo County. We're looking to set up something with the city of San Francisco as well."

For example, a former airport employee told the outlet that she went everywhere with a “buddy” in the early hours of her shifts – apparently as a safety precaution – given the amount of homeless people she’d encounter, especially during bad weather.

An official with the San Francisco Coalition on Homelessness, Jennifer Freidenbach, said it wasn’t a shock that homeless populations would take refuge in SFO, given the deficit of affordable housing in San Fran and lack of room in many shelters.

“I mean, there's just nowhere else for people to go,” Freidenbach told KTVU. “So, we're going to see them at the airport, we're going to see them on the busses we're going to see them out. There's just literally nowhere else for people to go.”

According to a report published earlier this month by the Bay Area Council Economic Institute, a local think tank, the San Francisco Bay Area has the third-largest homeless population in the nation, behind New York and Los Angeles.

The report found that 28,200 people in the Bay Area are "experiencing homelessness," compared to 76,500 in New York and 55,200 in Los Angeles. The report also found that two-thirds of the Bay Area's homeless are unsheltered, living on the streets or in cars.

"The absolute size of the Bay Area’s homeless population, combined with the region’s dearth of temporary shelter options and an insufficient supply of supportive housing, desensitizes the public and condemns the homeless to lives of hardship," the report's executive summary detailed, which also estimated that it would take until 2037 for every homeless person in the Bay Area to receive a bed, given current rates of low-income housing construction and "inflows into homelessness."

Over the summer, one travel expert acknowledged that San Francisco's homelessness crisis has intensified to the point of hurting the city’s $9 billion tourism industry on a grand scale.

"We are losing business," Joe D'Alessandro, head of the San Francisco Travel Association, told Fox News in July. "We have groups who say they can't come to San Francisco as long as the streets are like this."

Though the exact impact of the critical homelessness situation on San Fran’s billion-dollar tourism profits remain unclear, things are reportedly not looking good. In June, a major medical association withdrew from hosting its annual convention in San Francisco, claiming its members no longer felt safe there. The cancellation of that one five-day trade show represented a loss of $40 million to the local economy.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel...eople-taking-shelter

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I love it

they're getting what they wanted

good for them

warms my heart when someone or some group is successful in their goals

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
SFO should be ecstatic over this!! Put your money where your mouth is! I thank the good Lord above I didn't choose SFO as my base...

Bullet - Dodged

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Pretty, yes. Or at least it was when I visited 30-35 years ago. But I did not like the atmosphere. I'd probably like it even less, now.

My wife and I are thinking of someday taking a rail tour across the northern-most U.S. states. (Wisconsin -> Washington?) Once-upon-a-time we probably would've then gone on to visit California, via Oregon. No longer. Even my wife is no longer interested in going anywhere near the state.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
San Francisco invited illegals. The homeless said #metoo. Now the city is seeing the consequences.

The last time I was in San Francisco was in 1995. It was becoming a pit even back then. The most beautiful state and city is reaping what it sows.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
#ZEROFUCKS

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
It seems that the old adage, "Be careful what your wish for" is relevant.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The politicos are finally seeing the results of their policies. Hopefully the folks who keep electing them wake up to what their votes are responsible for. Not counting on it because everything gets nuttier by the year. The bums will always find a way.

I wish Trump would actually send the illegals to sanctuary cities. My life would become a little more chaotic but it would be worth it to watch the smug drain off my neighbors faces when they actually have to confront their policy preferences head on.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
The politicos are finally seeing the results of their policies. Hopefully the folks who keep electing them wake up ...

I wouldn't hold my breath. If they'd had any damn sense they would not have elected the people they did in the first place.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
given current rates of low-income housing construction

Well, when you have rent control, there's not much money in building low-cost housing. There are better margins in the luxury end. Thus, rent control, designed to help the less fortunate actually inhibits the very goal they claim they want and exacerbates the housing disparity.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
quote:
given current rates of low-income housing construction

Well, when you have rent control, there's not much money in building low-cost housing. There are better margins in the luxury end. Thus, rent control, designed to help the less fortunate actually inhibits the very goal they claim they want and exacerbates the housing disparity.
What? You mean government intervention and destruction of a free market actually has negative consequences?!?! Who could ever have imagined that?

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Drop them off in front of Pelosi's hotel.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Pretty, yes. Or at least it was when I visited 30-35 years ago. But I did not like the atmosphere. I'd probably like it even less, now.

My wife and I are thinking of someday taking a rail tour across the northern-most U.S. states. (Wisconsin -> Washington?) Once-upon-a-time we probably would've then gone on to visit California, via Oregon. No longer. Even my wife is no longer interested in going anywhere near the state.
It's probably not what you are looking for, but in 2013 I did the AMTRAK guided tour from Chicago to Seattle, with 4 days and nights at Glacier National Park. It was great! Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157635037593408/.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d chuckle if they start to congregate outside Google and Apple’s campuses. Trek over to Stanford while you’re at it.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Should be plenty of room at the Cow Palace now.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I’ll have a Coke.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Drop them off in front of Pelosi's house.
hotel

Fixed it for you!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Homelessness in San Francisco, Seattle, New York, L.A., etc has NOTHING to do with affordable housing.

It is all about an alternative lifestyle of sloth, addiction, and entitlements.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
And the left tolerating/condoning/encouraging that shit.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Same thing happens in Anchorage. We get quite a few every week brought in that are too intoxicated for sleep off. If they have a suitcase or a backpack they kind of blend in, like a traveler that missed their connecting flight. They also like to get on the shuttle busses that circle the airport and long term parking lots.

My personal favorite was one of our regulars who was brought in from the main terminal. Seems he passed out in one of the seating areas. Someone got out a Sharpie and lipstick, he came in decorated with little hearts and penises all over his face.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post