SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got my MRI results back and...(knee related)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my MRI results back and...(knee related) Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
Left knee
Torn lateral Menuscus
Torn Medial meniscus. Detached and floating around.
Peripheral blood clot in calf. (Ultra sound found this)
Torn ACL
Severe arthritic changes.

Been riding my bike 75-90 miles a week and one morning couldn't walk.
Don't remember injuring it.

Any body had a knee replaced?
How is it? I'm extremely active and really want to be able to ride again.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had three surgeries but still have the original knee, what's left of it.

My mother in law had knee replacement and had the option of therupy at home or going to a treatment center. She choose the center, stayed there for three weeks and had therupy three times a day. Worked well for her.

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pantera1994
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'm sorry to hear of your injuries. Did the Dr. give any idea as to what may have caused them? Good luck with your recovery!

Posts: 1306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pantera1994:
Wow, I'm sorry to hear of your injuries. Did the Dr. give any idea as to what may have caused them? Good luck with your recovery!

Not yet. Have yet to meet surgeon. My GP got me the MRI and ultrasound stat. Surgeon is supposed to call tomorrow.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My 75 year old mother had a knee replaced. She was a disciplined participant in rehab, and five years later, her knee is serving her very well. She isn't a bike rider, but she has excellent function.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your fit enough to recover from the knee replacement...you'll ride again!

With the injuries you've suffered, depending on your age, they'll repair or remove the damaged parts.Depending on your age, they may not want to reconstruct the ACL. Having said that, you'll end up having the knee replaced at some point. Arthritic, damaged, torn ACL,torn cartilage...it'll show up again sooner than you think. The torn ACL is usually caused by physical torque. If they recommend an ACL reconstruct, long recovery, again age depending.

Good Luck, if it were my decision, I'd get a new knee, You'll be back quicker,and able to do the activities that keep you young Smile

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

Any body had a knee replaced?

I had my left knee replaced in January of 2014. 95%-100% recovery is likely somewhere in the 9-10 week range...if you do what you are supposed to in post-op therapy.

I am well pleased...I can do everything I choose to do, including ride a bike.

How old are you? I was 61, and they figure these things are only good for 20 years or so before they have to be re-done. Something to consider...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My wife has had both knees replaced. She discribed the replacement as "mechanical" in feel. Previous treatments included shots ans scraping. By the time of the replacement her knee was bone on bone.
Surgery was a couple of hours. They had her stand once she got to her room. Discharge was when she could go up and down some stairs.
I got to be the home health care person. What was a great help was a "game ready" ice therapy unit. It was a contract issue through the Army. I rotated blue ice containers instead of ice. Wonderful help.
We went to the OT clinic and got a long shoehorn, back scrubber, and a next device to put socks on.
PT was with a perky, cute, sadist. My wife swore I was bribing her. We also bought a recombine bicycle for home. My wife is a very determine woman. She didn't cheat on her exercises.
I'd say a month before she could move well. The first two weeks were the worse.
A year later we did it again.

http://www.3rdstonedesign.com/work/game-ready/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the cleats on your shoes may not be aligned correctly. The shoe should point forward or slightly inward. If the foot has any external rotation, the ligaments and menisci can wear dramatically.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I suspect that the cleats on your shoes may not be aligned correctly. The shoe should point forward or slightly inward. If the foot has any external rotation, the ligaments and menisci can wear dramatically.

Good point! Personally I don't wear clip ins for that very reason. I've always went with wide platform pedals. I normally ride 80 -90 miles per week. I wanted a knee replacement, DX stated " your too fit, come back when you can't stand the pain" that was 2 years ago. Bike riding for me, keeps me out of the Orthopeadic office. In this case, I'd still make the call for a knee replacement. If your 20-40 years of age, go for the repair and hammer the rehab. If your my age, 61...go for the new stuff. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just passionate about this subject. Smile

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Had one replaced in February 2016. Weeks 1-4 just suck then things start getting better. Like so many, I wish I had done it sooner. It was a big quality of life issue and I was dicking around with injections and therapy. I was bone on bone and kidding myself.

I would have to trust my Doc with respect to clipless pedals and lateral play. I was permitted to do anything that was non-impact. PT may also play a part in evaluating the pedal stroke and positioning.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I keep the pedals (SPD-SL) pretty loose. Have good side to side play. My GP who is also a cyclist doubts it was done one the bike. Thinks it was a pretty mean twist. I just don't remember hurting the knee.
It's a bit odd.

TCB all the time...

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:

I keep the pedals (SPD-SL) pretty loose. Have good side to side play. My GP who is also a cyclist doubts it was done one the bike. Thinks it was a pretty mean twist. I just don't remember hurting the knee.
It's a bit odd.

Torn ACL and meniscus. Three or four years ago, rode 80+ miles a week on a mountain bike then. My knee is still screwed up after surgery. Don't ride any longer Frown

Took a bad spill going over a jump, got up and was fine minus the cuts and raspberries. Three days later, doing laundry felt it go, actually made a popping noise when it tore.

I hope your surgery/replacement goes smoothly.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20807 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prepsheriff:
Sounds like your fit enough to recover from the knee replacement...you'll ride again!

With the injuries you've suffered, depending on your age, they'll repair or remove the damaged parts.Depending on your age, they may not want to reconstruct the ACL. Having said that, you'll end up having the knee replaced at some point. Arthritic, damaged, torn ACL,torn cartilage...it'll show up again sooner than you think. The torn ACL is usually caused by physical torque. If they recommend an ACL reconstruct, long recovery, again age depending.

Good Luck, if it were my decision, I'd get a new knee, You'll be back quicker,and able to do the activities that keep you young Smile

Seven knee surgeries here including multiple reconstructions to ACL/MCL and this is pretty accurate, except that knee replacements work best for older less active folks. Younger folks (< 50's) who are very active can wear them out in as short as 12-14 years, and revision surgery is significantly less successful, much more invasive, and much harder to come back from.

Rehab from ACL reconstruction is a real bitch, taking 2 years to really get back to 90%+, but there's a reason it's the standard of care for most younger folks and athletes. However, they don't usually have arthritis complicating the damage, and that's likely a deciding factor in your case.

My mom just had her knee replaced, and I was not optimistic because she's 80, very sedentary, not fit, and has a very low pain threshold. She came through with flying colors. I was shocked.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
Sorry. To hear about your knee issues.
I was the first outpatient total knee ever in Charlotte in 2010, performed by one of the best. I was 52 yrs old. Surgery was at 8am , I went for four walks that day and home that evening. I maxed out my oxycodone dosage daily in order to do very aggressive rehab. Still had tears running down my cheeks at times. Very tough but worth it. My range of motion is full and the knee is in great shape.

I was in decent shape prior and was on a recumbent bike in three weeks post op. Prior to surgery, my cardio was on an elliptical. Since surgery, I have discovered the rowing machine (Concept II) and now do 35+ minutes three times/wk. with zero issues. I have also used various stationery bikes at times and would suggest that riding a street bike should not pose a problem. High impact exercise like running could be problematic for sure, however

I hope that an Orthopedic Surgeon will weigh in here. Take my contribution for what it is worth.

Go for it, man. Rehab to the maximum as recommended by your surgeon and therapist. I hope you return to the bike soon. Please update and keep us informed.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Smithnsig, hope you recover quickly and completely.

I had knee surgery a couple of years ago:

Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my left knee replaced at age 73 (four years ago) and,not only am I fine today, I am FAR better off than I was before. Not a fun operation, but if you do what you are supposed to afterward, you will be better than fine. Don't be a whimp and work through the pain afterward and you will be thrilled.

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Damn Jim, you sure have short legs!

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The key on this is your age. I would always (and did) go for reconstructing my knee till they couldn't do it anymore. An acl repair is really not that bad and there is no way id have a knee replacement over that. Big issue is getting over the cadaver part Smile. A few more biographical details would tune my thinking.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10992 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The key on this is your age. I would always (and did) go for reconstructing my knee till they couldn't do it anymore. An acl repair is really not that bad and there is no way id have a knee replacement over that. Big issue is getting over the cadaver part Smile. A few more biographical details would tune my thinking.

Just turned 50. Got a hottie 40 year old wife, been married 18 years. An 11 year old boy and a 3 year old boy. Wanted to ride a 100 miler in the spring. Coach baseball and a little football.
Like to hunt, fish, and shoot guns.

Had neck surgery last year. Used cadaver bone for the ACDF. No biggie to me.

TCB all the time...