SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would you travel to Egypt this summer?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you travel to Egypt this summer? Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
In the unlikely event that I could be convinced to board an airplane for ANY reason, Egypt in particular and the Middle East in general would be roughly on a par with North Korea.

Europe would not be high on the list.

Australia and New Zealand would be good.

Beat me to it!

I was in the northern part of that region many years ago now, and we were warned about the political situations in the several countries we visited as part of a trouble shooting trip.

Now days? Other than not flying as a personal choice, I doubt there is enough money to convince me/us to go the Egypt or other places in that region.

Mrs. Elk is talking about going to Germany in a couple of months to visit family and long, long time friends. I am not going! We get some on-scene reports about what is REALLY happening in Germany with these "immigrants". It is not pretty, and their gubbermint is doing their absolute best to keep even the Germans from finding out about the criminal behavior, rape, robbery, arson, etc etc etc. And the media is encouraged not to print about it.

I am seldom more than a single arm's reach from my pistol, and there is no way I would go somewhere where I am prevented from defending myself.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Advising military commanders on such questions was one of my responsibilities before I retired. Always check the US Dept of State for advisories on where you are going. There is a current advisory on Egypt, read and decide for yourself.

https://travel.state.gov/conte...n/country/egypt.html

I would not travel to Egypt for tourism simply because terrorist groups target popular tourist destinations, because they know they will get lots of news coverage with a successful attack. You roll the dice when you go.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I would not go. I have an Egyptian friend and he won't even go. If you do leave your MAGA hat at home.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our daughter (27) was there for about a week a few months ago and had no problems. She spent a couple days in Cairo and a couple days at a seaside resort. However, she was always with co-workers, Egyptians who know the area.

This was an add on trip after working in Kuwait for a few weeks. No problems there either, but she also had locals helping her out.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Egypt is a bucket list country for me - I've been fascinated by archaeology and Egyptology since I was a kid

I would love to go there but given the current political climate and unrest, no way in hell would I venture to go there

my life is worth more than a couple of photos I might get to take

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Hell, I won't even go to Paris ... much less North Africa !!!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I wouldnt go because it is not safe and i feel that ship has sailed. Even if you are feeling brave a honeymoon shouldnt be one where you are constantly looking over your shoulder. I am not an adventurous type but i do travel to mexico each year willingly to the resort locations only.

Heres another outlook.
http://www.livingthedreamrtw.c...sian-backpacker.html

Unless it was you asking, quite a few asian americans asking the same question online.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not even on a bet.
Same would be true for all of Africa that I can think of for that matter. Sure some of the Safari type stuff sounds neat but you still have to deal with Africa. BTW, I'm part of a small/select group who has traveled there (Nigeria 1985-6) in a non military or aide related capacity.
Too many beautiful and cool places to see in the world first.
From the expats I met while in Nigeria the only worse place on the face of the earth would be INDIA (I'd Never Do It Again, according to those who have spent time there)

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Even if it might be OK, I wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy the experience.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go there if you paid me. In fact I just don't have any appetite for international travel right now....or in the near future.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
assholes everywhere want to kill Americans.
But, you don't look American. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
How does your bride to be feel about it? I would take no chances at all for a honeymoon.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I would not.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
My buddy (government employee) and his wife were assigned there for a bit over a year and were evaced when the revolution started.

He says there's no way in hell he'd go back. Unless it was to paint lines once the glass cools.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I think I would take a chance on starting Salman Rushdie's car everyday before I would go to Egypt now. But that's just me.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
No. Nor the Franco/German Caliphate.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
Since I refuse to fly (I have no fear of flying but refuse to be treated the way they treat paying passengers) and the highway to Egypt is not constructed yet I'll stay in the US of A.
I have no fear of traveling anywhere because at 74 years old I don't have much fear of anything.

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Go to Israel.

I can hook you up with an incredible guide and you will have the experience of a lifetime. It is by far the safest place in the middle east.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Jeff, let me cross shop destinations, but I appreciate the recommendations.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Go to Israel.

I can hook you up with an incredible guide and you will have the experience of a lifetime. It is by far the safest place in the middle east.

Agreed.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post