SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would you travel to Egypt this summer?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you travel to Egypt this summer? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I don't have the fear and loathing of travel a lot of people here seem to, but Egypt at this point should be a no-go for any westerner. It's both too internally unstable and has too many people with anti-western/anti-non-islamic sentiment.

I was Googling for a link to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_massacre

but also randomly found this.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/...e-tourist-attraction

And this post sums up my most recent concerns, and the reason I started this topic.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'll wait to see if Egypt calms down a bit. Hopefully within a year or two, before I start a family.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Looks like I'll wait to see if Egypt calms down a bit. Hopefully within a year or two, before I start a family.

best of luck in the search, enjoy the honeymoon and congrats again!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The U.S. has just enacted a ban of laptops and tablets on flights originating from 10 Middle East countries, Egypt included. The UK enacted a similar ban.

I guess Homeland Security knows something we don't.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
The U.S. has just enacted a ban of laptops and tablets on flights originating from 10 Middle East countries, Egypt included. The UK enacted a similar ban.

I guess Homeland Security knows something we don't.

Wow! Do you have a link to this? That is a huge move.

Jim

Never mind, I just saw this on Fox. This will get the leftists panties tied up in a knot. Smile

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm sure you've seen the news, but looks like you made a good choice. Al-Sisi has declared a 3 month state of emergency after the bombing of Christian churches this weekend.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-39548645

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I spent a week in Cairo 20 years ago. It was interesting, indeed, but no way I would go now.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hawkins
posted Hide Post
Absolutely.

I went in 2009, a few days after this:
https://www.theguardian.com/wo...kills-french-student and i'm clearly still alive. I was in Cairo for work during the Tahrir square protests in 2011.

Clearly, even Stockholm and Nice can be hit, as can Florida and California and New York.

As long as you're smart, you can minimize risk, but risk will never be zero. You can either never leave the house, or go.

(Petty crime is a bigger thing though. Watch your wallet and attempts to pickpocket you in crowded areas.)

edit: saw you decided to wait.

I'd like to suggest Istanbul as "Middle-east lite".

--------------
July NoVA Sigshoot: Shooter's Paradise; 0900 (9AM) 23July05

My Signature is almost a decade out of date!

Posts: 4686 | Location: VA | Registered: April 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
One of my son's is in Beijing. Ironically that is one of the safest places to be.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Egypt declares state of emergency after Palm Sunday church bombings

Updated 9:59 AM ET, Mon April 10, 2017

Tanta, Egypt (CNN) A day after brazen ISIS attacks killed dozens at two Coptic Christian churches on Palm Sunday, Egypt declared a three-month state of emergency, a measure designed to help authorities root out the killers. . . . .

"The state of emergency means absolutely nothing to me," said Andrew Abdel Shaheed, an Egyptian Copt in Brussels. . . . I personally do not feel safe to return to Egypt."

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
In the unlikely event that I could be convinced to board an airplane for ANY reason, Egypt in particular and the Middle East in general would be roughly on a par with North Korea.

Europe would not be high on the list.

Australia and New Zealand would be good.
Just got back from Australia and New Zealand--you'd like it. Spain was last summer and will be again next Summer (2018).

Egypt? Not right now. Someday, if they get their act together better.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
As background, I'm 67. The only out of country experience I have is Canada for work reasons.

Europe is a "No".
Africa or the ME is a HELL NO!

There are plenty of really nice places in the U.S. that I've seen or would like to see. The chances of getting snatched off the street and abused are certainly less here than there. Besides I can carry most places I'd care to visit right here in the U.S. Over there, not so much.

Besides, you said honeymoon. You ain't going for the sights....come on, be honest. If you want to impress her, take care of her and show her some awesome sights here, like Yosemite, Grand Canyon or the Tetons.
Well--the Grand Tetons ARE inspirational....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
No

Why? No se me ha perdido nada allí.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the past 40+ years I've traveled extensively through the Middle East on both business and pleasure. Today there are only two countries I'd go to: Israel and Jordan. Pass on all the others, but that's just me.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
One of my son's is in Beijing. Ironically that is one of the safest places to be.
Yeah, Chinamen don't Fuck around with security, nor have a problem doling out beat downs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fau:
Where else in Africa are you going?

We'd like to go to Tanzania, but for whatever reason, it's really much more expensive than an equivalent trip to South Africa.

If you do decide to go to SA, you're more than welcome to contact me if you need any information.

Posts: 101 | Location: Jhb, South Africa | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
As others have said, I wouldn't go anywhere in the ME, even if the trip was free.

I spent a year as military advisor to Iran, back in 1961-62. My assignment was out in Kurdistan, very near the Iraqi border. So close in fact that we were over flown a couple times by Iraqi jets.

I found the people to be friendly, welcoming, and trustworthy.

Would I go there now? Doubtful. To Egypt? Not a chance. But then I am old, and my knees will not let me run very much. Not to mention the concealed carry issues.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post