SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooper's Hawk came to visit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooper's Hawk came to visit Login/Join 
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Great Shot.. and what an awesome bird. I Love Coopers, they are great for rodent control.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Gorgeous photo.

Makes me want a K-1 that much more.

Shot wide open? Or stopped-down a bit?

Thank you very kindly boss Smile

This was shot with the Sigma 50-500mm lens which is 1:4-6.7 on the Pentax bodies (Sigma has it marked 1:4-6.3).

So this was wide open at 6.7 at the 500mm focal length, and then cropped. Distance from me to the fence was around 40-50 feet.

Also I would like to thank all of you for your appreciation; it means a lot.

Henryaz, never you mind about thread derailment as I like most animals better than I like most people.

Dave

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
What a great photo. I need to buy a new digital SLR. I still have my old Nikon film camera and lenses, and have been using lesser digital cameras for years. Your picture is giving me a good reason to get a quality digital SLR.

Also, I love birds.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Does the K-1 have wireless strobe capability?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Does the K-1 have wireless strobe capability?

Yes and no. Unlike the Pentax bodies with the built in strobe that have the ability to slave an off site strobe to use a strobe wirelessly with the K-1 one would need to put either a strobe or a trigger in the hotshoe.

So if you only wanted off camera flash you would have to buy a trigger, but if you were to use a hot shoe mounted strobe then you can wirelessly control an off camera strobe or two.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Beautiful creature, and a great shot. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Nice picture. They also LOVE SQUIRRELS and have just about cleaned them out at one place.

I have another one in Loudoun County that is tame and will fly down the roadway in the woods hoping to catch a squirrel. He also checks out the squirrel nests in the trees.

He will also eat dead squirrels placed on a post.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah , great for rodent control, but they don't share the wild bird feeding area in the back yard, for shit.

I used to count a dozen different birds, out back, now only 4 .

there ore three hawks for the south side of tiny town, but they make bird watching Suck!

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post