SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooper's Hawk came to visit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooper's Hawk came to visit Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
Today my youngest son was looking out the French doors and asked what kind of bird was on the fence.

I looked out and saw a small hawk. Usually by the time I grab the camera they have flown away, but today I was able to grab the camera, open the French Doors, and take a few shots of this Cooper's Hawk:

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great photo. What camera did you use?

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Look at those needle-sharp talons!
Coops are serious bird catchers.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Great picture, and a beautiful bird!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We have a Harris Hawk with jesses attached, flying wild, The poor bird is starving, the jesses are wrapped around its tail. My wife has tried to engage the AZ hawking people, but no joy there. Is there anything you hawking people can do to save this bird. She will not let it starve.

Location, 34.033816, -112.833967, (our house), but we see her flying around our area.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xray 99:
Great photo. What camera did you use?

This was taken with a Pentax K-1 (full frame DSLR) and my Sigma 50-500mm lens at about 50 feet today in overcast conditions.

And thank you all for the comments.

We have many hawks, falcons and eagles in this area.

We put out seed and plant outside plants that attract many sparrows, finches, doves, magpies, Tow-Hees, and Juncos which in turn attracts the smaller hawks.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

We have a Harris Hawk with jesses attached, flying wild, The poor bird is starving, the jesses are wrapped around its tail. My wife has tried to engage the AZ hawking people, but no joy there. Is there anything you hawking people can do to save this bird. She will not let it starve.

Location, 34.033816, -112.833967, (our house), but we see her flying around our area.

Harris Hawks are great birds for falconry.

For the bird you're asking about, put on a glove and grab some raw meat. Grasp the meat in the glove, making it easy to see.

If you have a whistle, like a referee's whistle, tweet that a couple of times and hold your fist out.

Hawks are trained to the whistle, they hear that and think 'food time'.

Once on your fist, grab the jesses and take it from there. If you're going to cut them loose, do it carefully not to damage the hawk's legs, probably using scissors.

I would suggest feeding the bird first, before freeing it.

You can buy some chicken hearts at the store, and let them warm up a bit. That'll do in a pinch. Let him or her eat all they want.

ETA: Make sure you have the feet under control while you're feeding the bird. If you use your ungloved hand to add more meat to the glove, do it carefully. If the bird sees it, it might grab your hand with one of it's feet. That's going to hurt a lot.

Better to bring the meat to the glove carefully, under the glove, so the bird can't see it.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Beautful bird. Thank you for sharing! We have a lot of red tailed hawks around here. Love to watch them soar!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5297 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Excellent photo!

That may overcome my procrastination at getting a K-1.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Beautiful image!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that could be a Sharpie.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1171 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Great photo and beautiful bird.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

What's a "jesse"?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I had to Google it.
jess (falconry)
A jess (plural "jesses") is a thin strap, traditionally made from leather, used to tether a hawk or falcon in falconry.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Jesses are the cords connected to the anklets, used to tether the bird.

See if she can get a heavy glove and call it down to eat.

Harris Hawks are very docile and he should readily come to a call.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Terrific photo, beautiful bird! We have them around us, on occasion but I never get a really good photo.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Very cool, what a badass bird! Thanks for taking the time to share it!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Thanks for the replies on the Harris Hawk. We have not seen her since Saturday.

lizardman_u, my apologies for the thread derailment. That is a beautiful Cooper's Hawk, and a stunning photo.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Great photo! It would make great wallpaper for someone's computer.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone one else here, that's a very nice photo! The detail and color are fantastic - nice job!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous photo.

Makes me want a K-1 that much more.

Shot wide open? Or stopped-down a bit?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post