SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    And GUNS are the problem?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And GUNS are the problem? Login/Join 
Picture of rexles
posted
Got this from the CDCs web page about drug over- doses.
Why do not the politicians address the real problems in America. How much money does the pharm companies give to politicians each year?

Drug overdose deaths in the United States continue to increase in 2016

Drug overdose deaths and opioid-involved deaths continue to increase in the United States. The majority of drug overdose deaths (66%) involve an opioid. In 2016, the number of overdose deaths involving opioids (including prescription opioids and heroin) was 5 times higher than in 1999. From 2000 to 2016, more than 600,000 people died from drug overdoses. On average, 115 Americans die every day from an opioid overdose. 1

We now know that overdoses from prescription opioids are a driving factor in the 16-year increase in opioid overdose deaths. The amount of prescription opioids sold to pharmacies, hospitals, and doctors’ offices nearly quadrupled from 1999 to 2010,3,4 yet there had not been an overall change in the amount of pain that Americans reported.5,6 Deaths from prescription opioids—drugs like oxycodone, hydrocodone, and methadone—have more than quadrupled since 1999.7

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
here, hold my fentanyl while I light up...

Cigarette smoking causes about one of every five deaths in the United States each year.

Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause more than 480,000 deaths annually

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/da..._mortality/index.htm

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Thread title could be more informative...just sayin'.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
Look at the age groups most at risk. Youths are far more likely (4x) to be killed by OD than by gun fire. Yet apparently they don't feel safe at school because of gun laws.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The opioid epidemic is taking a huge toll. Bigger than guns and autos combined. OTOH, there is a difference between dying from a voluntary behavior and a criminal act. The reaction to a school shooting is WAY overboard, just like it is to a terrorist attack.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
Put into perspective with regards to the other causes:

According to the CDC:

Leading Causes of Death

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

Heart disease: 633,842
• Cancer: 595,930
• Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
• Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
• Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
• Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
• Diabetes: 79,535
• Influenza and pneumonia: 57,062
• Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 49,959
• Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193

You don't even see an area where weapons could come into the picture until #4, Accidents. But you can't be certain there as there is no further breakdown.

What I see is the leading causes of death is still diseases. Some of there are preventable such as diabetes, heart disease, etc. But even these are subject to genetics and inheriting a predisposition from parents/grandparents.

These folks are proving yet again facts don't matter only their opinions, and no one else.

The are the righteous, self appointed purveyors of all the is good and true in the world and like Kahn in Star Trek, 'theirs is the superior intellect' and we shouldn't challenge these intellects. The same ones who want dialogue, refuse true dialogue, and refuse to let a lack of facts (for their POV) get in the way of a good argument.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Opioids is the cause de jure. Even FOX has their own doctor/commentator that preaches this theme.

I caught a segment on the local news this morning that doctors are beginning to experiment with non-opioid alternatives during surgery. Some sort of herbal substance instead of the usual anathesia. [sarcasm]I’m sure those who have awakened during surgeries are glad to hear this[/sarcasm].

My wife said she read an article yesterday that stated medical malpractice causes many times more deaths per year than any gun related events.

[sarcasm]So, yeah, we need to do something about guns! It’s so much more important![/sarcasm]

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife said she read an article yesterday that stated medical malpractice causes many times more deaths per year than any gun related events.

That topic has been repeated hundreds of times in past 20 years in news print. Poor sanitary conditions, mislabeled medications, medications side effects, improper surgery, etc...

An estimated 400,000 patient deaths each year. The Medical profession is sacred, but, by golly, we gotta' do something about gun violence.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yes they are. I can help by asking you to gather up all those evil firearms and send them with proper postage to my FFL. Might take a while for me to fill out all the transfer forms, but I'll bring an extra pen in case there is trouble.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fnforme
posted Hide Post
The drug companies and the distributors have gotten away with murder in causing this epidemic. I've recently attended a few conferences where I spoke with the plaintiff's lawyers spearheading this litigation and there's a general consensus that this is going to be the next big tobacco lawsuit.

One distributor that I'm aware of had a $150,000,000 fine levied (the biggest ever) with the caveat that no one would go to jail but they had to institute serious changes. That was back in 2008. Their corporate minutes reveal that they tabled the issue of compliance and never readdressed in the subsequent ten years. People should be in prison for that kind of flagrant disregard of the law. I've also heard about info such as the discovery of e-mails originating from marketing departments that instructed doctors about how long term opioid prescriptions were safe. The marketing departments were making medical decisions for the manufacturers and doctors!

People need to go to prison for causing this fiasco.

Posts: 3419 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have always been very reluctant to take pain killers. I've seen addiction, and want no part of it.

Oh, wait... Is that a donut?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Test1968:
Put into perspective with regards to the other causes:

According to the CDC:

Leading Causes of Death

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

Heart disease: 633,842
• Cancer: 595,930
• Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
• Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
• Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
• Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
• Diabetes: 79,535
• Influenza and pneumonia: 57,062
• Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 49,959
• Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193

You don't even see an area where weapons could come into the picture until #4, Accidents. But you can't be certain there as there is no further breakdown.

What I see is the leading causes of death is still diseases. Some of there are preventable such as diabetes, heart disease, etc. But even these are subject to genetics and inheriting a predisposition from parents/grandparents.

These folks are proving yet again facts don't matter only their opinions, and no one else.

The are the righteous, self appointed purveyors of all the is good and true in the world and like Kahn in Star Trek, 'theirs is the superior intellect' and we shouldn't challenge these intellects. The same ones who want dialogue, refuse true dialogue, and refuse to let a lack of facts (for their POV) get in the way of a good argument.

From CDC also 2015. 12,979 homicides. If we divide 12,979 homicides by 2,712,630 and multiply 100 we get .478% off all deaths are gun violence (still yet to witness a violent gun, mine don't even move).

Let's focus on the import stuff first. There are way more effective ways to cut deaths in the country. Here is a visual representation of homicides vs all deaths.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

See that one X there, that's what everyone is spending their energy on? Even if we did pass inconceivably restrictive gun laws and made every citizen turn their guns in it would hardly dent the homicide by gun rate and whatever effects it would have would just be shifted to baseball bats and knives anyways.

Yep guns are the problem. Roll Eyes

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, if these people treated this like guns their study would have included every person that OD'd, every person in a hospital that had their pain managed until they passed, every person who used any combinations of drugs to kill themselves, every person who was high and was killed by doing something stupid and every person executed by lethal injection.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post