SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    whats the worst place you have gone to for work
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
whats the worst place you have gone to for work Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It's a tie between a pediatric oncology ward and a burn unit.

I don't recommend either.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Matamoros, Mexico.

My company had an integrated circuit assembly plant there about 20 years ago.

What a shit hole.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Report This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I went to charm school in Manhattan, down in Wall Street. Wall Street wasn't particularly scary but getting there from mid Manhattan could be.

what is charm school for men ? what is taught ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Poultry rendering plant in he middle of MS in August.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Report This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
My first hourly job, at 15 years old, my direct supervisor was an old, past due retirement black man, who absolutely hated white people, and he had it in for me in particular. what I never understood though was that I worked hard and did good job, but he still hated me, and nothing I did was good enough for him, and only him. I did not like that old man. On the days he was off, the job was great. He didn't know that I was mostly ignorant of racial issues, and my best childhood best friend was black. Later as a professional, I had a young woman supervisor who hated men, and just like the old guy, picked me out of a line for special treatment. she even tried to get me fired for sexual harassment, which was a crazy nuts complete deceptive fabrication. Fortunately she was not my only supervisor on that job, as the job itself was great. When I was a manager at another company, a young black woman filed a formal complaint with the Government that I was discriminating against her because of her race, after I had asked her to change her work habits as her peers and direct complained to me that she wasn't actually working at all. I was scheduled to appear with her at a hearing, but my boss, a woman, stepped in last minute and went in my place. The case was dropped immediately, for what I gather, was stupidity on her part. Other than that, that was a great job as well. So for me it's been bad hires that made my job tough, not the actual job itself.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I992 or 1993. My first real job out of college. I did indoor air quality work (quasi-science). We were supposed to check the air quality of the US Coast Guard HQ in South East Washington, DC. Horrible neighborhood. Urban blight central. There was no room inside the walled parking lot and they said we could park on the street. We said "see you tomorrow." I have no doubt our van would have been fucked with at the very least, and maybe us. I remember thinking in broad daylight it was scary-bad.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I went to charm school in Manhattan, down in Wall Street. Wall Street wasn't particularly scary but getting there from mid Manhattan could be.

what is charm school for men ? what is taught ?

That is my cynical reference to stock broker training. Back then, you had to spend 6 months in training to get your licenses, NYSE, state, NASD, etc, pass the exams to be a broker. The big wire houses, Merrill Lynch, E.F.Hutton, Goodbody, Smith Barney, sent their newbs to Manhattan for several months. It was mostly sales training, not financial or investment stuff.

I didn't like selling. While I didn't like it, the DJIA went from about 920 to about 620, and that scared off the customers. I left and went to law school.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Toss up
DOD as a Electronic Tech All paper work, Bad pay,
Not possible for any promotion. Plus it just sucked daily, my bosses were no nothings and do nothings. Frustrating situation

Standard Oil Co. as a Shipping expediter.
the pay was not enough to live on.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A city job! Boss ended up being a lazy asshole. His department oversaw the treatment plant construction and remodeling. Everybody there disliked him, and he disliked them. One of the engineers that was doing design on a large portion of one of the reconstruction projects, saw me there one day, and asked what I was doing there, we had worked together on another project. He told me his firm considered that place to be the most dangerous site they had, and they had projects all over the world. While digging up old water lines in another portions the contractor kept finding other water lines not shown in the documents. Found out from another worker, that my boss had been the PM on those projects 10 -15 years ago. He claimed no knowledge of the lines. I was to find the drawings and work it out! I found the asbuilts in his office hidden under a pile of documents that had never been revised or sent to the designers for inclusion in the drawings. He denied knowing anything about it.
I asked him WTF was wrong with him! He called the cops on me! Cops came and there were too many witnesses in my favor. Cops left the site, I returned to my job trailer, deleted my stuff from the computer and left the site forever. Retired right after that, enjoying every minute of it!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm an electrician so my place of work is different every day, sometimes 6-7 different places in one day.

The number one place I hate to go is hoarder homes. Gross!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Capital One.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Djibouti, Horn of Africa. What a shithole.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Report This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
After three hours sleep, out too late, worked on an unheated garbage truck in sub-zero temps for half a day , cleared about six bucks. I don't know what they were thinking when they asked me to come back after lunch and clean some bins.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Female combative ward state psychiatric hospital vs factory warehouse work loading 55 pound boxes every five seconds for eight hours.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Bamako, Mali.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Special education teacher in a high school.
I'd retired from the military and was working as a substitute. The district I liked offered me a job and I took it.
My class was one main group of 20 kids and I taught multiple subjects during the day, plus had students come n for classes. I didn't have an aide while all the others teachers did. Half way through the year I discovered a actually had one. She didn't want to work with that class and it was agreed by the teachers not to tell me.
My students didn't last. It seemed any violation got them kicked out. My main class went from 20 to 2. Speaking to the principal, I discovered all my students were disruptors. Teachers were asked "Which student, if removed would let you teach the class?" Those I got. I was told "We sacrifice the few to help the many."
Talking some more to the principal, he said "Your job is safe. It's the worse in the school and nobody wants it."
I left in June.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Twin Towers Correctional Facility, downtown Los Angeles. It was particularly fun when the power failed and the emergency lighting went on.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Northern New Jersey.....shithole, corrupt, expensive, cops were as dangerous as the hoods.

I would rather go back to Liberia, Northern Iraq or Haiti....or anywhere

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Poultry rendering plant in he middle of MS in August.

Yeah, BTDT. IT SUCKS!

For me, it was the Republic of Colombia. You never knew who you could trust and who would throw you under the bus.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I worked in a welding shop for two years for the biggest asshole and his butt kissing sidekick 35 years ago, to this day I still have nightmares about that place, soon after I quit I started my own business. there were no jobs at the time or I would have got out of there, Everyday felt like pure hell.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Report This Post