SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just What Government Agencies Would YOU Shut Down?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just What Government Agencies Would YOU Shut Down? Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
DoE (both of them)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I'd start with the BATF for constitutional reasons. Leave a skeletal few, roll them into the FBI an with NO interpretive powers. Education department next. EPA. BLM. And finally, I'd suspend all benefits to congress except for an hourly wage for time actually working. No perks. No pension. I'd privatize NASA. I'd make the IRS disappear with a 20% tax on income after a base level.

This works for me.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A better question might be what ones wouldn't you shut down? Smile

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:...the evidence conclusively shows that, left to itself, industry will pollute indiscriminately.

You develop a whole new appreciation for pollution when you start pumping your own water, trust me Wink

That being said: The EPA, just like every other you-pick-the-acronym agency in the US government, has been off the reservation for years.

Smile

I wasn't questioning the reality of pollution, but wondering if with the EPA, maybe the cure is worse than the disease.

Sidenote. Solyndra was a notable Bay Area firm doing solar panels (to save the planet from greedy ugly oil companies), got ~$500M in gov't loans from Team Obama. Solyndra went bankrupt, I understand the investors got their money first, the taxpayer had to eat the loans. Then, one of their manfacturing facilities was designated a toxic waste site (I guess they didn't practice what they preached).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The government has been shutdown for "X" hours...

How has your life changed?

Me? I'm still flush with beer and internet.

What changed?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

That's my thought as well....

Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The military is enumerated.... not much else.
Most everything else should be left to the States to regulate, or not.

Getting the federal government out of social services, including welfare and Obamacare should be priority #1.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EEOC and transfer its duties to the department of justice.

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
The government has been shutdown for "X" hours...

How has your life changed?

Me? I'm still flush with beer and internet.

What changed?
Well, a significant part of my income comes from the federal government--a military pension and Social Security. (Both of which I earned and don't consider to be "entitlements"!) I suppose a shutdown could eventually impact my receiving my just rewards. Fortunately, I do have other sources of funds and as long as the postal service still runs would be able to get enough money to carry on.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ragnar
posted Hide Post
How about liquidate congress. I do mean liquidate in the James Bond/Blowfeld definition.

Live every day as if it is your last, for one day you’re sure to be right

Posts: 752 | Location: Historic Southpark, Dayton Ohio | Registered: October 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Here's the US Government's own A-Z Index of Departments and Agencies. It's a wee bit lengthy.

In my opinion there are quite a few we could do without.

However, some serious cuts need to be made in major programs to make any difference.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Beat me to it. That would definitely be the shorter list.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Hard to believe that it actually took eight posts to get to the IRS, and eleven to get to TSA.

Well, had to read the new tax laws, file taxes and get past TSA...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
HUD.

I’m hurt....Frown

Oh, wait....Smile

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
In order

IRS DOEd DOEn EPA HUD

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
USAA announced that they will advance pay to military members if they need it on next pay day.

If you are active duty and a USAA member in good standing, you can get the help.

How about that?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Hard to believe that it actually took eight posts to get to the IRS, and eleven to get to TSA.

And 12 to get to DHS. Roll Eyes

I'm still the only one to mention the DEA.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
DOJ. We might need one, but I'd damn sure burn this one down, and start over.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is "back of the napkin" with my first cup of coffee. It isn't really well-thought out.

Shut down:
Homeland Security
TSA
DEA
USAF--We haven't won a war since they've been a separate service. I seriously doubt that if you asked the AF for their top 10 priorities, "winning the war" would appear among them.
VA
Social Security--Nobody cared enough to safeguard the money. Now it's gone. It's time to stop the charade.
FEMA

Drastically prune:
Congress
--As you are a representative of your state, all expenses for your position will be funded by your state.
--You will be expected to telecommute to work so that you can live in your district and represent them to DC instead of vice-versa.
--Fines and "settlement" money will NOT be paid from public funds.

Secret Service--There's no reason our Presidency has to look like a travelling circus when he goes anywhere. Most dignitaries have a minder or two and a driver at any given time.

DoD
--The number of General Officers will be cut to pre-9/11 levels.
--Any base the military wants to close gets closed.
--Any acquisition program that goes over budget as a result of contractor misfeasance or nonfeasance will have such costs borne entirely by the contractor.
--Troops will be immediately withdrawn from any hostile area or activity unless/until there is a declaration of war from Congress.
--Fire generals who have not show sufficient progress in prosecuting the war (like we used to).
--All departments will wear the same utility uniform. We're all part of the same team. It's time we act like it.

Intelligence Community--There are WAY too many agencies doing different flavors of the same thing. Consolidate them into one department.

MISC:
--Any federal agency more than 20 years old will be immediately reviewed. Any agency determined to be outdated or ineffective will be immediately closed. (This is to cover those agencies that nobody ever thinks of.)
--Anyone caught violating their oath of office, obstructing justice, abusing their authority, or refusing to perform their job will be immediately imprisoned for the maximum allowable time and permanently banned from receiving federal compensation of any kind.
--Personnel deemed to be non-essential will be thanked for their service and provided a severance pay.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I won't start with a list agencies.

I'll start by firing everyone deemed non-essential, every political appointee save for cabinet members, every member of the Senior Executive Service, and every person at every agency that is not headed by a cabinet member.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
its funny that the shutdown happened over a weekend

doesn't the government essentially shutdown every Friday afternoon at 430?

whats the big deal?

lets have a 60 day shutdown and see what we can truly do without and use this as a budget cutting opportunity

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post