SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gander Mountain Bankrupt
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gander Mountain Bankrupt Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Looks like they stiffed their gun distributors. Or the distributors are getting cold feet.
They used to offer almost the entire S&W product line, now almost none.
Same with CZ and Sig.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
After seeing this thread I decided to check out the local Gander to see how prices were doing amidst the news....THIS IS WHY YOU ARE GOING BANKRUPT

It says used firearm..... I just wonder what the heck they used it for?

An ice pick? Or perhaps a rock hammer?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
GM prices are out of line with their consumer base.
I have only purchased .22lr ammo from GM.

Though the prices were more than I wanted to pay, they were the only game in town for .22.

Clothing sales were decent when changing seasonal stock.

Mainly looked and ordered online.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
How is it they are going bankrupt?
Judging by their prices, one would have thought they made their years profit on every sale.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And they still wouldn't deal on firearms.
Found one I was looking for in the used selection, and since it needs shipped to my location, full price + shipping+ ffl charge paid in full upfront with no chance to inspect the firearm and no refund if there's a problem with it.

More & more SIG's and a bunch of Smith & Wesson revolvers

Posts: 654 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: April 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
The gander mountain near the shopping giant Potomac Mills mall has been in "storewide clearance" mode for a while now

I asked if it was closing and was told no

Most of their clothing, etc has been discounted, but no ammo/gun deals....except

Their used guns. Way, way too reasonable for gander mountain

I got a used glock 26 with three magazines there last week for $325

My buddy bought a minty beretta 87T for $550

They had a ppq m2 for $350

Makes me think they are blowing out their used guns and will transfer new firearm inventory to stores that survive reorganization

Stopped in there on Friday. Saw zero that interested me. The store had <15 cars in the parking lot, likely half were employees. Right next to a freaking giant ass mall and you can't get traffic on a Friday afternoon? I don't need to see their financials to know it's not viable.

Gander doesn't seem to plan locations well. The Ptoomac mills location has Quantico Arms in the next strip mall over, and All Shooters just up the street. The failed Richmond location was right by Bass Pro and Greentop. Locations like that can be creat, but only if you're competitive.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I stopped in the local store today. No clearance signs up and no sale prices yet but you can tell they stopped restocking a while ago.

I will wait for the clearance sales to start which should bring the prices down into a normal range. After that I won't miss them.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked at the website today. Now lots of guns available to order, all at their usual prices.
New Distributor, maybe?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Visited my local one today; only apparel and a few select things were discounted. Grabbed a rod and reel combo, and some cartridges then went to another store to browse. Maybe a dozen cars in the parking lot. There's a Dick's Sporting Goods within a stone's throw of this shop too (the Woodbridge, VA store). Too much competition too close by.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I went back in the one by Potomac mills last Friday....they once again had stupidly priced used gun, as well as everything else....so I must just have gotten lucky.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went back in the one by Potomac mills last Friday....they once again had stupidly priced used gun, as well as everything else....so I must just have gotten lucky.

I stopped by Dawson's today also; they're closing. Didn't come home empty handed though.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Killing some time this morning went in to look around. In the used gun case they had a 229 Legion .357 SIG for $1299 Eek and label for a SIG Sauer Hk 45c with this SIG Sauer marked through with a pen. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drabfour,

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
quote:
The gander mountain near the shopping giant Potomac Mills mall has been in "storewide clearance" mode for a while now

I asked if it was closing and was told no

Most of their clothing, etc has been discounted, but no ammo/gun deals....except

Their used guns. Way, way too reasonable for gander mountain

I got a used glock 26 with three magazines there last week for $325

My buddy bought a minty beretta 87T for $550

They had a ppq m2 for $350

Makes me think they are blowing out their used guns and will transfer new firearm inventory to stores that survive reorganization

Stopped in there on Friday. Saw zero that interested me. The store had <15 cars in the parking lot, likely half were employees. Right next to a freaking giant ass mall and you can't get traffic on a Friday afternoon? I don't need to see their financials to know it's not viable.

Gander doesn't seem to plan locations well. The Ptoomac mills location has Quantico Arms in the next strip mall over, and All Shooters just up the street. The failed Richmond location was right by Bass Pro and Greentop. Locations like that can be creat, but only if you're competitive.

I thought Greentop was the old Gander Mountain.

As for Potomac Mills, I don't see Quantico Tactical as a real competitor. QT specializes in Military/LEO, and Gander is more hunting. 2 different product selections. What is hurting them is prices. And moron/jackassery behind the counter.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
After seeing this thread I decided to check out the local Gander to see how prices were doing amidst the news....THIS IS WHY YOU ARE GOING BANKRUPT

It says used firearm..... I just wonder what the heck they used it for?

An ice pick? Or perhaps a rock hammer?

"Throw down" gun.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:

I thought Greentop was the old Gander Mountain.

They moved into the GM location when it closed...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heard they are closing the GM in Greenfield, Indiana. They are not advertising that fact though. Stopped in yesterday to look around. Some apparel on sale but no sales on firearms, bows, or targets. Firearms stupidly priced. I did see a couple of used 229's in .40 S&W for $500 each I think.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Some stores will remain open, including 3 in Alabama. Complete list of stores remaining open at the link.

http://www.al.com/news/index.s...ncart_river_home_pop

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I never could figure why Dawson's moved to Woodbridge from Annandale. They did a lot of business at the old location even though their prices were high. Also there was the firing range in the same building downstairs.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
The article I read talks about the new CEO.

He bought the brand and stores but not the inventory. The new CEO is going to keep some of the stores open and stocked with a revised product lineup in an attempt to keep the business going.

A liquidator bought the inventory and that is who is running the out of business clearance.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Hard to believe it took this long considering their prices.

Posts: 2353 | Location: Vancouver WA | Registered: September 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post