SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Verizon phone recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verizon phone recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
removable battery

Motorola Z Force. The Moto Mods are gaining in popularity and options. But you can get a battery moto mod that is a battery. While not replaceable. I can slap the Moto Mod battery on the back and gain about 6 hours from 5%. I keep the spare battery in my laptop bag that is with me all the time.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
New Unlocked LG V20 - $350

Mine should be here Friday. I'd like the V30 but it's $900 with tax less a $200 prepaid Visa card which brings it to $700. I figure last year's model, the V20, for half that will be fine. Maybe next year the V30 will be half price. Also, the V30 doesn't have a removable battery.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Adroid (any phone) at your peril, security-wise.

Full video

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I have a Samsung Note 8 on Verizon and it is a great phone. Came from an LG G6 and the Note 8 is a better phone no question.

My vote would be in order of preference...

Samsung Note 8 (if you don't mind a large phone)
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Samsung Galaxy S8
Google Pixel 2 XL
LG V30

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
quote:
removable battery

Motorola Z Force. The Moto Mods are gaining in popularity and options. But you can get a battery moto mod that is a battery. While not replaceable. I can slap the Moto Mod battery on the back and gain about 6 hours from 5%. I keep the spare battery in my laptop bag that is with me all the time.

Can you just leave the battery on the phone? I have an iPhone 7 with the apple battery case (extra battery and case combined) that stays on the phone 24/7 and the charger charges both the phone battery and the battery case, then the battery case is worn down before the phone battery wears down, I could pull the case off of the phone and throw it on the charger while I still carry the phone around.

Best Verizon phone I had for durability and battery life was the ruggerdized Casio G shock (Kyocera) phone.....waterproof (not resistant), indestructible screen, needed no case at all. Android based.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation for the Note 8. I had a Note 3 and 5 prior. I am a remote field service engineer, and I use my phone extensively. I've had this phone since Saturday, It was 150 off at best buy and the gave me 140 for my note 5. While waiting for it, I ordered a zizo bolt cover from Amazon Prime. It came in Monday. Bad ass cover with glass protector. I like it better than the Otterbox Defender that i ran on my other notes.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moto g5S+ is an awesome phone for $250. Get it at B&H.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
quote:

Adroid (any phone) at your peril, security-wise.

Full video

Hands on hacks are one thing, and you get to see Photos (which I don't even use). Androids are being pwned by the thousands, remotely, by malicious apps, and are walking time bombs. One part of the problem is the lack of OS support (security fixes) for older versions.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hands on hacks are one thing, and you get to see Photos (which I don't even use). Androids are being pwned by the thousands, remotely, by malicious apps, and are walking time bombs. One part of the problem is the lack of OS support (security fixes) for older versions.

Note what he said - this was the 21st hack bypasses that he has reported on his channel. He said that Apple is a repeated offender in this. There are other channels as well that has reported other bypasses and hacks. And we have embarrassing celebrity nude photos from their iPhones hacked as well. Twice.

Most Android malwares are from foreign (mostly Chinese) app stores. Android does allow you to install other app stores onto the phone if you check the box for Allow from Unknown sources in the Settings. Only use Google Play store and you should be OK.

My clunky old Galaxy S5 just had a recent Android security patch after more than 3 years. Don't use it anymore though.

AFAIK Donald Trump's old Galaxy S3 and S4 (5 year old phones) weren't hacked during the campaign and you know almost everybody in the world was trying their best.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello all, I am looking for recommendations on which Verizon smartphone to pick.

I tend to gravitate toward:

removable battery

Yeah, good luck with that. They all are going to sealed, non-removable batteries.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Hello all, I am looking for recommendations on which Verizon smartphone to pick.

removable battery

Yeah, good luck with that. They all are going to sealed, non-removable batteries.

The high end phones seem to be gravitating to water resistance as the next big thing. There's a plethora of mid range and low end phones that have both removable batteries and take micro SD cards. The LG K8V that I paid $75 at Walmart for example has both. Once the V20 gets here, the K8V will be my backup phone.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
quote:
removable battery

Can you just leave the battery on the phone? I have an iPhone 7 with the apple battery case (extra battery and case combined) that stays on the phone 24/7 and the charger charges both the phone battery and the battery case, then the battery case is worn down before the phone battery wears down, I could pull the case off of the phone and throw it on the charger while I still carry the phone around.

Best Verizon phone I had for durability and battery life was the ruggerdized Casio G shock (Kyocera) phone.....waterproof (not resistant), indestructible screen, needed no case at all. Android based.

Yes.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Just to bring closure to thus thread, I ended up with the Samsung Galaxy S7.

What I had left out was that it is a work phone. They Asked What I wanted, I said an S8, but didn't expect them to get it as it was newish. A few days later the S7 showed up.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
The LG K8V that I paid $75 at Walmart for example has both. Once the V20 gets here, the K8V will be my backup phone.

Is that a prepaid phone?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Motorola Z Force

Spare removable battery, speaker if you watch videos or enjoy music, Removable memory card and the camera takes pictures like no cellphone I've ever owned. There's even a projector to watch movies with...

22 hours of talk time, 17 more with removable battery installed.

Unbreakable glass is what sold me.

More versatility, duration and durability.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello all, I am looking for recommendations on which Verizon smartphone to pick. In the past, I have had LG and Motorola. My current one is the Samsung S5.

Android (do not want iphone)
removable battery
ability to add storage

What do you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance. Smile

I just got the Pixel XL (not the Pixel 2 XL) as a replacement to my Nexus 6p and it's the best phone ever. Doesn't meet your battery/storage requirements but it has 128GB of local storage that I'll never come close to filling. Incredible camera, people can hear me every time i make a call, bluetooth connects to the car flawlessly. Battery lasts all day and more for me.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
quote:
Motorola Z Force

Spare removable battery, speaker if you watch videos or enjoy music, Removable memory card and the camera takes pictures like no cellphone I've ever owned. There's even a projector to watch movies with...

22 hours of talk time, 17 more with removable battery installed.

Unbreakable glass is what sold me.

More versatility, duration and durability.

Looking very strongly at this for my next phone to replace my 4 year old Motorola Droid which has proven nearly indestructible.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
Most Android malwares are from foreign (mostly Chinese) app stores. Android does allow you to install other app stores onto the phone if you check the box for Allow from Unknown sources in the Settings. Only use Google Play store and you should be OK.

Malicious apps removed from Google Play Store.

Google purges malicious Android apps with millions of downloads.

Just the first two hits on a hasty Google search. I actually like the Android OS, except for this niggling security problem. iPhone is not perfect, but its tighter control of apps makes for a more secure platform. Just don't let someone else get hands on your phone. Smile

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes there have been security holes on Android, just as on Apple app store, and earlier. However Google now scans the installed apps on YOUR phone on a regular basis to prevent this.

Though none of the security lapses has resulted in personal photos leaked all over 4chan from iPhones, and they did not have to get their hands on the iPhones either.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
The LG K8V that I paid $75 at Walmart for example has both. Once the V20 gets here, the K8V will be my backup phone.

Is that a prepaid phone?

It is. Will it not work with post paid Verizon? I switched to Verizon prepaid now that I no longer have a subsidized phone or contract. It's cheaper. For $50 a month I get 8GB if I buy the card at Wal-Mart; whatever I don't use of the first 7GB rolls over. Post paid was $90 a month for my wife and myself plus the crap fees and we shared only 4GB.

My V20 arrived and all I had to do was backup the K8V, restore it to the V20, and plug the sim from the K8V into the V20. I'm up and running. One thing I didn't plan on or realize was losing all my saved voicemails when I made the switch. Another slight hiccup is not all of my contacts made the transition. For some reason, my wife's information didn't transfer. I think I had two address books, Google and Exchange, and only the Google one transferred. I'll figure it out eventually.