SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Verizon phone recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verizon phone recommendations Login/Join 
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted
Hello all, I am looking for recommendations on which Verizon smartphone to pick. In the past, I have had LG and Motorola. My current one is the Samsung S5.

I tend to gravitate toward:
Android (do not want iphone)
removable battery
ability to add storage

What do you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance. Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Pixel 2 or 2XL. It's the best Android phone going at the moment. Pure Android, good hardware, good design, no stupid, bloated skin or carrierware if you buy direct from Google. Planned as having 3 years of software support, straight from Google, and you aren't tied to any one network if you buy from Google.

No removable battery (won't find many of those these days) and no external storage, though. Initial size and cloud support means you probably don't need external storage, though.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd wait until this Black Friday.. Analysts are expecting Samsung to be very aggressive with S8 and S8+ pricing to fight the iPhone X.

Note 8 and Pixel 2 are pricy.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Removable battery and Micro SD Card is a rare combo these days, but is same combo my wife likes. When she replaced her phone last winter, she went with a LG V20 as it had those two features. It's been a good phone for her so far.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a problem with the Pixel 2. Hold off on that for a while. There are production issues and screen burn-in issues that Google is struggling with right now. It is widely being reported on the various cell phone tech sites.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
There is a problem with the Pixel 2. Hold off on that for a while. There are production issues and screen burn-in issues that Google is struggling with right now. It is widely being reported on the various cell phone tech sites.

I thought that was limited to the XL.

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had not heard it was limited to only 1 model.

Personally, until they figure what is causing the issues with the 1, I would not purchase the other. The screen technology is the same in both I believe, so I would imagine similar components driving the screens.

Just wanted to let the OP know that the Pixel, Pixel XL or both are going through some teething pains. That's all.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Note 8 is great. Wasn't cheap, but it blows my old Note 3 out of the water. I miss my removable battery but it still has removable storage.

The new features with the S pen are awesome too. I use it a lot more than I did with the 3. Right when you take out the S pen, even if the screen is locked, you can right a note and save it to the phone. You can also draw notes and send them to people as gifs, and you can use it to translate by hovering the S pen over the text you want to translate.

People were criticizing Samsung for putting the fingerprint scanner on the back, but I have a junk iphone for work and I prefer the scanner on the back. It's a natural spot for your finger when you pick up the phone anyway. With my iphone it takes two or three scans a lot of times to unlock (that is, if it doesn't ask for my password randomly). Never had that problem with the Note.

I bought it unlocked with no carrier bloatware from Best Buy. I would definitely buy it again. As for the iphone, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:

I thought that was limited to the XL.

Even better. Google support is awesome. They were replacing out-of-warranty Nexus 6P a couple of months ago with new Pixel XLs because of a battery issue.

I imagine if you ended up with a defective XL, they'll hook you up with something mo' bettah.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:

Personally, until they figure what is causing the issues with the 1, I would not purchase the other. The screen technology is the same in both I believe, so I would imagine similar components driving the screens.

Just wanted to let the OP know that the Pixel, Pixel XL or both are going through some teething pains. That's all.

The Pixel2 and XL are made by different vendors. It's unlikely that the same problem exists on both.

Posts: 3655 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Hello all, I am looking for recommendations on which Verizon smartphone to pick. In the past, I have had LG and Motorola. My current one is the Samsung S5.

removable battery
ability to add storage

Thanks in advance. Smile

I'll be visiting your thread in the future. If you do decide on one of the Pixel phones as your final choice, when you get it post a review as I'm interested. I currently have an iPhone 6S and will likely be upgrading in the near future also. I was giving consideration to the upcoming iPhone "X". If you do decide on a Pixel, please post a photo or two in the Smartphone photo thread in the Gallery section. I'm more of a camera fan in the smartphones than just features and software alone these days and would love to see some images from them. Thanks.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:

Different manufacturers and screens in each phone. Pixel 2 is manufactured by HTC, the 2XL by Lg. To be clear, the only phone experiencing issues is the XL.

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
Got it... I thought I had read that Google was shutting down both production lines while they investigated.

Must have misread or assumed both lines were with the same vendor. My bad...

The "Boz"

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:

removable battery
ability to add storage

Thanks in advance. Smile

I'll be visiting your thread in the future. If you do decide on one of the Pixel phones as your final choice, when you get it post a review as I'm interested. I currently have an iPhone 6S and will likely be upgrading in the near future also. I was giving consideration to the upcoming iPhone "X". If you do decide on a Pixel, please post a photo or two in the Smartphone photo thread in the Gallery section. I'm more of a camera fan in the smartphones than just features and software alone these days and would love to see some images from them. Thanks.

I've had my Pixel 2 for almost a week. In short, it's the bee's knees.

-ShneaSIG

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:

removable battery
ability to add storage

Thanks in advance. Smile

Will do. Also, for those helping, while it would be nice to be bleeding/cutting edge, I would rather save some $$ and have a proven device.

I hate that manufacturers are moving toward non-removable batteries and no storage slot. Planned/forced obsolescence really chaps me arse.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
I was OG Motorola Droid right through the 2015 Pure. This go around I went with the Essential PH-1 and have been pleasantly surprised. The camera was crap at first but that's been updated since. Build quality is like no other I've ever seen (titanium and ceramic). Downside is no removable battery or removable storage but it does come with 128GB internal and the battery life is amazing.

Posts: 1536 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Different manufacturers and screens in each phone. Pixel 2 is manufactured by HTC, the 2XL by Lg. To be clear, the only phone experiencing issues is the XL.

Yeah the smaller Pixel 2 is built by HTC and has a Samsung AMOLED panel, similar to last year's Pixel.

The one having display issues are the Pixel 2 XL. Google support claimed on Reddit that the first batch of 2 XL had display from a bad batch from LG.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the Pixel 2, upgraded from an S6, couldn't be happier so far.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the iPhone 8+ and love it. I was going to wait for the X but after all the research I have done I went with the 8. Fantastic phone and fast as hell. Camera is amazing.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Adroid (any phone) at your peril, security-wise.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post