SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend A Good Pocket Knife
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend A Good Pocket Knife Login/Join 
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I’ve carried a Gerber Paraframe knife for years. It fits into the watch pocket of my jeans. It’s amazing how often I bring it out to use. Small, lightweight and cheap.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kershaw fanboy here. Also our shop sells 'em. Solid knives, affordable prices...even the USA models.

I EDC a Kershaw Blur. Great all-around Made in USA knife but it's a bit above your declared budget (around $60 to $65 these days). My wife carries Kershaw's Scallion, also a nice USA knife that's a fair bit smaller (2.3" blade) than the Blur and should be able to be found for under $50. Both are assisted-opening folders; the Blur uses a thumb stud for activation, the Scallion a flipper protrusion towards the bottom of the blade near the hinge. Only real knock is that the blade steel for both is on the soft side, so regular sharpening is a must to maintain a sharp edge. More durable S30V steel is available on certain variants, but the price jumps as a result.

Another Kershaw knife I like is their Link; also a USA knife that's more budget-friendly and is sized more like the Blur (about a 3.25" blade to the Blur's 3.4"). I prefer the Blur over the Link because of the Blur's embedded rubberized texturing on the handle panels that provides a very positive anti-slip finish, especially with wet or sweaty hands. But the Link can be found for around $40-45, depending on color and/or blade finish. At this price you'll wind up with a softer stainless blade steel as well.

I saw the recommendation for the Kershaw Leek earlier; that one's an acquired taste to me. The natural finish version is slick in the hand, whereas the anodized (colored) examples offer a faint amount of texture so the fingers don't slip quite so easily. Another USA knife, usually under $50 for most versions. Our #1 selling Kershaw...mostly because people keep buying them as replacements for the last Leek that they lost!

Spyderco has a few units that fit your budget, but those are mostly PRC-sourced and not USA-made. Their Tenacious is our best-selling model from them and is available in a number of variants, most priced around $50. From a build standpoint it feels A LOT like their Colorado-made models, though the blade steel on all but a few variants is clearly a Chinese-spec (8Cr13MoV) material (the US steel versions typically double the price).

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Kershaw Leek

This

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Endela.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Unless you need a heavy duty knife, a Swiss Army Alox Cadet should handle all your daily cutting chores.

They have a 2 1/2" blade; screwdriver/bottle opener/prybar/wire stripper; can opener/small standard/phillips driver; and file, but it's so slim you'll hardly know it's in your pocket.

They're so useful there's no reason not to carry one, even if you carry a larger knife. About $30.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My Kershaw Leek has replaced my Mini Grip. It's slim, doesn't dig into my waist, and is a great little blade.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Keyshawn Scallion here. The plastic scales are a gripper than the metal scales. Besides, some places in Ohio have a 2 1/2” blade limit. I had to bail someone out one nite when their gf got a DUI and he was carrying a SAK. Charged him with CCW. Bullshit charge. They just wanted to fuck with him. He was probably running his mouth and they decided he needed a time out too. Cost $400 for lawyer to get it dropped. Lost the knife.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve carried a Spyderco Delica with a FRN handle and a plain edge blade for years and it’s never let me down. Easy one handed opening and closing. Great little knife.

Posts: 234 | Location: GA. | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Ambitious - about $45. Not the greatest steel, but good for an under $50 quality knife. If you can go a few more bucks the Spyderco Delica is a great knife available in various steels which dictates the pricing starting at about $80.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
I’ve carried a Gerber Paraframe knife for years. It fits into the watch pocket of my jeans. It’s amazing how often I bring it out to use. Small, lightweight and cheap.

I will second this, normally it my is clipped to my house shorts/pants, it is thin and lightweight...holds a decent edge

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
Just curious why a pocket clip?

I have a couple and after having them accidentally dislodged too many times just put them in my pocket. Then the clip is just a nuisance.

I'm that case I recommend a Victorinox Swiss Army. It has a blade plus all the other useful gadgets.

Agree here. I have lots of very nice knives ( every thing from Swiss army basics to microtech autosand never use the clips. Can keep secure and deploy from pocket more effectively, and it does not telegraph to everyone hey look I have a knife!

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I went from clipped folders to Swiss Army ALOX in the little 5th pocket in my jeans.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
You may have to spend a little bit more, but for a small light knife, Spyderco makes some nice knives. Not the Chinese made ones. I got a couple of these when they came out because they were cheap and I see why.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
Just curious why a pocket clip?

I have a couple and after having them accidentally dislodged too many times just put them in my pocket. Then the clip is just a nuisance.

I'm that case I recommend a Victorinox Swiss Army. It has a blade plus all the other useful gadgets.

Agree here. I have lots of very nice knives ( every thing from Swiss army basics to microtech autosand never use the clips. Can keep secure and deploy from pocket more effectively, and it does not telegraph to everyone hey look I have a knife!

I like the clips for easy access, one negative I found out I ended up scratching the door jamb getting in/out of my car, now I am cautious of it and don't let it scrape.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I almost lost my new Chris Reeve Umnumzaan at work due to the pocket clip snagging on a pallet wrapped in plastic. It bent the clip 45 degrees outward.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Check WOOT under handtools I think, had some kershaws on sale.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Delica or Endura.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Light and under fifty bucks?

Kershaw Emerson.

My vote. You can grab one off amazon for around $35-$50 depending on model. Super quick out of the pocket.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The Gerber STL 2.0 Knife is a nice little Chinese made pocket knife. It takes an edge well, and does not cost much.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post