SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Climate Alarmists Caught Faking Sea Level Rise
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Climate Alarmists Caught Faking Sea Level Rise Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Alarmist scientists have been caught red-handed tampering with raw data in order to exaggerate sea level rise.
The raw (unadjusted) data from three Indian Ocean gauges – Aden, Karachi and Mumbai – showed that local sea level trends in the last 140 years had been very gently rising, neutral or negative (ie sea levels had fallen).

advertisement
But after the evidence had been adjusted by tidal records gatekeepers at the global databank Permanent Service for Mean Sea Level (PSMSL) it suddenly showed a sharp and dramatic rise.

The whistle was blown by two Australian scientists Dr. Albert Parker and Dr. Clifford Ollier in a paper for Earth Systems and Environment.

The paper – Is the Sea Level Stable at Aden, Yemen? – examines the discrepancies between raw and adjusted sea level data in Aden, Karachi and Mumbai.

Kenneth Richard at No Tricks Zone reports:

advertisement
The authors expose how PSMSL data-adjusters make it appear that stable sea levels can be rendered to look like they are nonetheless rising at an accelerated pace.

The data-adjusters take misaligned and incomplete sea level data from tide gauges that show no sea level rise (or even a falling trend). Then, they subjectively and arbitrarily cobble them together, or realign them. In each case assessed, PSMSL data-adjusters lower the earlier misaligned rates and raise the more recent measurements. By doing so, they concoct a new linearly-rising trend.

Here is a before/after from Karachi:

The authors do not mince their words. They refer to these adjustments as “highly questionable” and “suspicious.”

That’s because they can find no plausible scientific explanation for the adjustments.

As they explain at the beginning of their paper, it is hard to put together consistent sea level records covering a long time period. This is because tide gauges are often the result of multiple sets of data, taken over different time periods using different instruments, which are then spliced together.

advertisement
What is proposed as a single record in databases such as the Permanent Service for Mean Sea Level (PSMSL) (PSMSL 2017a) is often the composition of data collected by different instruments, sometimes in different locations or over different time windows, with significant gaps in between one measurement and the others. This is the case of the Aden, Yemen tide gauge that is the only tidal location of the Arabian Peninsula spanning a time window long enough to infer a trend and acceleration of the relative sea level (assuming there was continuous measurement and no quality issue). In Aden, similar to Karachi and Mumbai and other tide gauges of the area, a single-tide gauge record is the result of multiple sets of data subjectively coupled together. While a new tide gauge is recording since about 2007, the alignment of the previous data is continuously changing.

So there is nothing per se wrong with PSMSL making adjustments in order to make the different datasets align.

What is wrong is the way that the scientists at PSMSL have adjusted them. In every case, they have revised them in order to make them produce a sharp upward trend in sea level rise – despite the fact that global records do not support this.

The truth, Parker and Ollier conclude in their paper, is that sea level has changed very little in the three sites examined:

The reconstructed tide gauge records of Aden, Mumbai and Karachi are perfectly consistent with multiple lines of evidence from other key sites of the Indian Ocean including Qatar, Maldives, Bangladesh and Visakhapatnam. The sea levels have been stable since the start of the twentieth century in Aden similar to Karachi and Mumbai.

But the official PSMSL data – as used by other global data-keeping bodies such as NOAA – claims that there has been a sharp increase.

In Aden, for example, the alarmists have turned a modest 1.21 mm/year rise into a 3.02 mm/year rise.

In Aden, with data 1880–1969, the trend was + 1.21 mm/year.

Per the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Centre for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services (NOAA 2017a), with data from an intermediate version of a single-tide gauge record by PSMSL we may call (n-1), the sea-level trend in Aden is + 3.02 mm/year based on the monthly average mean sea-level (MSL) results 1879–2011, Fig. 6a (image from NOAA(2017b) downloaded on September 13, 2017).[graph in link]

Using the online analysis tool of Burton’s sealevel.info (Sealevel.info 2017a), with data from the latest update of the PSMSL database that we may call version n, with 2 more years of data, but also with some other corrections, see the data before the year 1900 shifted up, the sea-level trend in Aden is + 1.35 mm/year based on the MSL results 1879–2013, Fig. 6b (image from Sealevel.info (2017b) downloaded on September 13, 2017). [graph in link] Worthy of note, the acceleration is now large and positive.

Again, there is no plausible scientific explanation for these adjustments.

As the authors put it:

“It is always highly questionable to shift data collected in the far past without any proven new supporting material.”

Indeed, but it is perfectly consistent with the behavior of alarmist scientists in other fields, notably those concerning surface temperature data records. As we have reported here before, there is copious evidence to suggest that the gatekeepers of global warming have consistently and shamelessly cooked the books and rigged the data in order to give the impression that “climate change” is a major and unprecedented phenomenon.

A major part of the global warming scare narrative is that melting ice caps will cause sea levels to rise at a dangerous and unprecedented rate, enveloping low-lying Pacific islands, flooding vulnerable countries like Bangladesh and perhaps one day drowning even places like Manhattan.

There is little if any scientific evidence that this is actually happening.

What’s extraordinary is the desperation of scientists at what ought to be impeccably neutral and trustworthy institutions such as NASA, NOAA and PSMSL to pretend that it is.

When alarmists in charge of surface temperature datasets make dishonest adjustments to exaggerate the appearance of global warming, it looks like corruption.

When alarmists in the entirely separate field of sea level measurement make precisely the same sort of dishonest adjustments in order to accord with the same global warming narrative, it starts to look like a conspiracy.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt about what the article is saying but I want to look at this stratigically and see how it fits in the discussion of global warming.

If I throw this article into a discussion, I'll be sure to get the following:

1) It's from Breitbart - a neo-con climate change denier site.

2) Who are these authors? Just some non-scientist climate change deniers.

3) Why isn't this discussed in the mainstream media? If it was so true, then it would be more widely discussed because news thrive on controversy.

So is this article more for preaching to the choir?

And I'm not attacking you, Jallen. I do appreciate you posting this article.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
You can't use logic and reason against liberals. Despite overwhelming evidence that they are wrong (on ANY topic), they just revert to their 'feelings.' They 'feel' they are right, and no force on heaven or earth will convince them otherwise.

It's useless to argue with most of them. For the remainder, that DO use at least some of their brains, articles such as these may make a dent in their (wrong) beliefs.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without even discussing "man-made global warming" these are the facts regarding sea level rise:

1. Since the last Glacial Maximum sea level has risen over 300'

2. At the end of the last Interglacial period sea level was about 30' higher than it is today, and that was consistent with the prior interglacial period

3. over the last 2.5 million years we can document fairly consistent Glacial/Interglacial cycles.

Opinion now, I have yet to read anywhere that says this current interglacial period has ended, or that our planet has now, somehow, entered into a static climate period. Or that the Earth has stopped its cyclic changes in its orbit. Therefore, logically, even without us on the planet, we could be in for an additional sea level rise. Regardless of what we may read in Breitbart News.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I have no doubt about what the article is saying but I want to look at this stratigically and see how it fits in the discussion of global warming.

3) Why isn't this discussed in the mainstream media? If it was so true, then it would be more widely discussed because news thrive on controversy.

And I'm not attacking you, Jallen. I do appreciate you posting this article.

Thanks for not attacking me, although it would make little difference if you had. I’m old, quite secure, have spent my entire professional life being attacked, and only post such articles as I hope will stimulate useful discussion amongst some who know more about this stuff than I do.

I was under the impression that Breitbart was cuts above the click bait haranguer sites, but that the MSM has taken a position and contrary views such as these are unwelcome and to be avoided at nearly all costs.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
This is my surprise face..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Being a former Marine Biologist I can speak with some experience..
The question I would immediately have is what is the variance in measurements..to be able to measure sea levels to within a hundredth of a millimeter would statistically require literally thousands of measurements using the same instruments over that time....The problem is that the instruments have changed over the last several decades and it is really not fair to compare one methodology against another...(a dirty little secret no one talks about..)

It has been the same with sea surface temperature measurements...There are two basic ways that temperatures are taken at sea; from a stationary buoy and from a ship. I read an article a couple of years ago that compared the tow types of measurements and generalized that the ship temperatures were higher than the stationary buoys so the "scientists" smoothed the data by raising the buoy temperatures to match the ships data. The problem is that when a ship is stationary for any length of time it's engines and generators give off heat into the surrounding waters ( we're talking hundredths of a degree here) and tend to skew the data)

Just frustrating and don't get me started on analyzing core samples either!!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I 'm SHOCKED I say! SHOCKED! There's gambling at the Casbah?? There's' adjustment ' of climate related data to fit an alarmist agenda?? Who' dda thunk it??

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Gilligan was moving the Professor's stake in the lagoon.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Ha, yeah, that's essentially it. I think I'll start referring to all of these climate alarmist scientists as Gilligan for short.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tell me Bob, was the Professor's stake buried in the Ginger?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Can somebody explain to me just how measurements of approximately ONE MILLIMETER on constantly moving, rising and falling, waves, etc, etc can be documented, especially over centuries?

I know about the faking of data to meet some cockamamie theory, or to get another truck load of grant money.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, science is largely for sale these days. The alarmist have been caught again and again with their thumbs on the scale, but the great money spewing field of AGW rolls along. Or I guess I should change that to Climate Change these days. What a great name! When has the climate NOT changed? That'll keep the grant money coming in.

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Can somebody explain to me just how measurements of approximately ONE MILLIMETER on constantly moving, rising and falling, waves, etc, etc can be documented, especially over centuries?

They can't, but you already knew that. The whole temperature thing is extrapolated as well. If you were conducting a modern day experiment to measure the temperature of a room over the course of a month, you'd use the same thermometer or two that were calibrated EXACTLY the same. That obviously doesn't exist with temperatures from thousands of years ago. Instead, you measure the temperature in the room today and decide that it must have been XX a month ago based on the rate of paint fading. It's total BS.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

I know about the faking of data to meet some cockamamie theory, or to get another truck load of grant money.

Don't ask questions, just drink the kool-aid. Roll Eyes

As to grant money, I once worked in the energy research field (on the business side, not tech side). From my experience, the primary goal of any gov't funded research is to create the need for continued funding, a follow-on contract.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hit me with the
high beams, baby
Picture of wheeler10k
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Ha, yeah, that's essentially it. I think I'll start referring to all of these climate alarmist scientists as Gilligan for short.

Cool

Posts: 1007 | Location: Fortune's Happy Acre | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that would be unfair to Gilligan

Gilligan had a skill set...not sure these so called 'scientists' are worth the value of their lab coat

most of them seem to fringe, undesirables, unhireables...you get the point - not smart enough to get a real honest job so they resort to lying under the name of science

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

So I take it you are not a choir member? Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Whenever I read about the rising sea levels I am reminded of the Gilligan's Island episode where the professor though the island was sinking because of the measuring stick he had in the lagoon.

Which Gillian was also using to stake his lobster trap.

Which had better results when it was deeper in the lagoon. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post