SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Porridge is as effective as statins
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Porridge is as effective as statins Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
A good article on the health benefits of porridge:

"…Studies have found that eating 3g of beta glucan a day (around what you’d get in a 70g bowl of oats) can reduce your levels of harmful LDL cholesterol by around seven per cent.

‘That’s similar to the results you might get from taking a statin,’ says Dr George Grimble, principal research fellow in the division of medicine at University College London. Yet unlike a statin it has no potential side-effects. Dr Grimble, who is also a researcher in nutrition has porridge ‘occasionally’ but his wife has it every day…"

I'm a bit different – I eat oatmeal dry. I put some on a plate, take a pinch between thumb and fingers, and toss it into my mouth, while holding the plate under my chin to collect droppage. Almost no prep time, and I find it tasty that way.

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/art...-better-STATINS.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds great. I hope it holds true for my porridge recipe which is flavoured with a little whiskey, honey and served with cream Smile

"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose. - Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart, VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ireland | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
porridge

Haven't heard that word in so long, I thought only orphans and members of Our Gang ate that stuff.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I like oatmeal. I really do. But it makes me fart a lot.
Like a badly tuned Calliope

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Eat your gruel.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I eat oatmeal every day (it's easy to make at work with my Keurig for hot water), usually with fresh strawberries and blueberries mixed in with it.
It's cheaper, healthier, and better tasting than most of the crap that people eat for breakfast.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:

Ummmm, TMI!! Eek

Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Quaker Instant for breakfast. Every. Single. Day.

I tried the sooper dooper steel cut designer oatmeal, didn't care for it and definitely didn't like the fuss factor in preparing it.

Open package, dump in bowl, pour in hot water, eat. That's about as complex as I care to get in the morning.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Do you put broccoli in it? I like farting on my wife!

quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I eat minute oats about 3x/4x a week for breakfast.

I make mine with milk instead of water. After heating, I typically mix in a small amount of fruit jam/preserves or honey, and put a handful of raisins or occasionally other fruit or granola on top.

Mixing a spoonful of peanut butter into hot oatmeal is also good, if you want more protein.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Oatmeal cookies are essentially oatmeal. Cookies for breakfast!

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been doing that for 15 years. Doc wanted me on statins, I went with outmeal. Problem solved itself in 3 months. Now I throw a scoop in my fruit and yogurt smoothie every day. Rye flakes work, too.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold
Peas porridge in the pot 9 days old
Some like it hot, some like it cold
Some like it in the pot 9 days old.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
If you're using the packet stuff, it would serve you well to compare the nutritional information to the real thing.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Steel cut oats 3-4 times a week, and I don't buy the high price McCains Irish Oatmeal, 50# bag at the local amish health food store costs me $17.89

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Looks like there's more than one kind/source of beta glucan, each with possibly different benefits.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Irish oatmeal for me. McCanns in the box. Nuked for two minutes.

Yummm.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once the weather turns I'll be switching back to rolled oats instead of cheerios. I make it with water, then stir in a splash of milk and a handful of dried berries.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
May sound nasty, but once you become accustomed to it, they're pretty good: take about 1.5 cups steel cut oats, pour 1% milk over them and a squeeze of honey, drop in a couple blueberries, and into the fridge before bedtime. Next am, they're softened and taste sweet, and filling. Good stuff.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
A long time ago my father showed me how steel cut oats are very tasty with buttermilk and brown sugar. It may not sound appetizing, but the tartness of the buttermilk marries nicely with the more neutral oatmeal.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post