SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tulum mexico...anyone been there lately?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tulum mexico...anyone been there lately? Login/Join 
SF Jake
posted
Entertaining idea of taking the wife for our 20th year anniversary and looking for any info you guys may want to offer. Places to stay are numerous with varying reviews, any I should avoid? I would do an all inclusive so we can eat to our hearts desire and I can have a couple drinks with dinner...things to do? Mayan ruins would be cool to see as well as some snorkeling for me, maybe scuba for the wife. Any security concerns?...it is Mexico I understand but we wouldn’t stray too far off the beaten path for obvious reasons.
She doesn’t know I’m considering this so I need to come up with a sly way of having her get her passport....I have mine. Probably tell her we are going to drive up to Niagra Falls for a weekend maybe? Any input will be appreciated...thanks

Posts: 3118 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Use to go to Mexico all the time to dive, these days I would not get near it, to much crap going on that we know about, who knows what we don’t. I would consider caymans, bahamas, the Virgin Islands, just as nice and nicer, less chances of a bad time.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
It's been 15 years since we've been to Playa Del Carmen, but the all-inclusive where we stayed I wouldn't do again. The area is beautiful, as are the beaches, and it wasn't far to Tulum and Xel-ha.

The only thing I can tell you is to stay in one of the most expensive places. It will help insure you have a quality time. There's a Grand Hyatt there. It probably isn't an all-inclusive, but it will be more likely to give you a good, relaxing vacation.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Vieques, Puerto Rico. Beautiful, laid back, excellent snorkeling right off the beach, and no passport required:

https://www.marriott.com/hotel...wh-w-vieques-island/

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Not lately, but I was there in late spring of 2015. Stayed at Dreams-Tulum resort.

Very beautiful. Went on tour of the Mayan ruins which were cool. Rest of the time was mostly spent enjoying the pool, ocean and booze.

Reef not far offshore, so the sand was pretty sharp due to shards of coral... or maybe I just have delicate feet.

I’ve got several photos, but all still at photobucket.

Not sure if this will work...
http://s243.photobucket.com/us...ntana%20Roo%20Mexico

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwood4
posted Hide Post
Didnt go to Mexico this year due to my daughters wedding. Just didnt have the extra funds. I love the Riviera Maya. I have heard the horror stories, but we have never had any issues. But we also almost never leave the resort anymore. Tulum is awesome to see and I highly recommend it. I also think the quality of the food, drink and resorts continue to improve due to the competition for buisness. We really like the Secrets brand of resorts but there are several others that are good.

Posts: 543 | Registered: November 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Been about three years since I was down in that area. Always enjoyed my time in Tulum. We would stay in Akumal but drive into Tulum for grocers and dinner a few times.

Definitely, do the Mayan ruins in Tulum. They are right on the water and some amazing views. There are some other Mayan ruins a little further inland around Tulum. Can't remember the name of them. Worth a visit if you have time and a way to get out there. We always had a car when down there so it helped in getting around.

If you ever end up in Akumal you need to have a drink at La Buena Vida. It's a bar/restaurant right on Half Moon Bay. Cheap drinks at HH and one of the best bars/restaurants I have found in Mexico. Don't hesitate to eat there either.

Or btw if you're every lucky enough to see sea turtles hatch on the beach do not try and bet on which ones make it. Don't ask how I know this. Seriously though super cool to see them hatch and run for the water.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Playa del Carmen and Tulum in 2007. Was on a cruise so stayed on the ship. No need to do it again.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
We took a cruise to Playa Del Carmen, and a boat excursion to Tulum, just a few months ago. Aside from the *very* heavily armed soldiers at the dock in Playa Del Carmen, nothing set off my spidey senses. Tulum was more like Disneyland than I was expecting.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies folks....mixed reviews I see, I’m not locked into any decision yet so I’ll do some more looking. The wife is well traveled and I was looking for somewhere she hadn’t been yet.

Posts: 3118 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
This was my go to, went last 3 years. Starting to look outside mexico due to safety issues. This place was perfect for us and not loud at all at the casitas side. Does cost 1000-1500 more.

https://www.eldoradosparesorts.com/casitas-royale

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
The one thing I wish I would’ve done while in Riviera Maya was to tour the cenotes.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
The one thing I wish I would’ve done while in Riviera Maya was to tour the cenotes.

The cenotes are on the list of must sees if we end up there....they look awesome. Your pics looked cool as well C-Dubs....thanks!

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I was there 2 years ago and it was great. I only did a day trip as we were staying in Cancun. The ruins are fabulous

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:

The cenotes are on the list of must sees if we end up there....they look awesome. Your pics looked cool as well C-Dubs....thanks!

Cenotes are amazing in that area. Somewhere I have some video of dives down there.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My photos of Cozumel and Tulum are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157622894240716/.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I felt safe in May 2015. I stay at the Grand Mayan and would take the bus to Playa del Carmen with my wife. My Spanish is pretty good, so I felt comfortable taking to the bus driver and service staff. I don't do the night life etc, so being back at the resort at a decent hour probably eliminated any issues with thugs or punks. I did venture into the "neighborhoods" on a Sunday and found a hole in the wall taco joint. I felt comfortable.

I think I'd take my kids back there too.

I did the cenotes, ATV and zip line at Xocmel (?), just a few miles south of Playa del Carmen. Best $100 I spent on the trip. Tulum was pretty cool. I wish I would have taken time to get out to Chitzinitza (sp).

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post