SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gotta love it! One of the hottest weekends of the year so far and guess what opts to completely fail?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gotta love it! One of the hottest weekends of the year so far and guess what opts to completely fail? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
bigdeal,

I have a window AC unit you can use for a few days. It's a small unit (that's what my wife says, at least) but it will cool a bedroom down to be able to sleep.

I'm by UCF.

E-mail is in profile.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that has happened to me a few times. The last time was just last month but it was an easy fix as some rodent or ants got into the outside unit and chewed a few wires. A small cheap window unit might be a reasonable fix until they get it figured out.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My deepest sympathy, since I see you live in FL. 88 here in AZ would be very tolerable with fans.

Don't know what your HVAC system is, but if it involves mini-splits, one troubleshooting step I learned from our installer is, if the power went off (or the breaker tripped), you have to go to the unit's disconnect box, usually on the wall right next to the compressor. Pull the disconnect contacts "fuse" and wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in. You can hear some clicking noises from the compressor as the circuit board resets itself. I've had to do that a few times, and in the case of power loss, it works every time.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
So $210 to replace an admittedly hard-to-turn fan motor a

Probably what caused the breaker to blow so you really didn't lose that money.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Dude, a window AC unit is $120. Go buy one. Now. And the store will even take it back when you are done with it, if you are a cheap bastard. I keep a working window unit in my garage at all times. If the power goes out, I can hook up my generator and window unit and sleep in comfort while the less prepared (idiots?) bitch and moan and complain.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Dude, a window AC unit is $120. Go buy one. Now. And the store will even take it back when you are done with it, if you are a cheap bastard. I keep a working window unit in my garage at all times. If the power goes out, I can hook up my generator and window unit and sleep in comfort while the less prepared (idiots?) bitch and moan and complain.

This is what we did during the Hurricanes when power was out for several days, even the generator was fine with it, closed the MB door and turned the AC on, nice, fresh cool air, plus the hum just puts me right to sleep.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I would pick a portable AC in the meantime. They are generally 10,000-15,000 VTU and should be able to do a couple rooms.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Backup window units are a must have.

We have a dual zone setup, but the upstairs still gets warm in the Florida Heat. So we have 2 units for the kids rooms and can move one to a guest room if need be.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in NW Pennsylvania so I never had AC to deal with until I moved to NC in ‘88. And issues do crop up, it’s unavoidable. But I never had some dumb fuck show up and say “I dunno.....”. Maybe you should try another repair service or vendor.
Ours crashed 5 days after bringing home a newborn, in late June, at 1 AM. So much fun.
But it was diagnosed and fixed within 12 hours, during 8 of which the company was closed.
Good luck, but try to affect that luck.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Murphy's a bastard sometimes. My AC crapped out right in the middle of a heat wave last month. I know, what we call a heat wave isn't what you guys in the southeast get, but for us it's bad enough. The AC failed on a Friday night or Saturday morning, so it would have been an emergency call to get a guy out to look at it (at twice the normal rate) and he'd likely have to order a part anyway, so it would be a the middle of the week before it was working again. So I opted to not pay the emergency charge and suffered through the weekend. On Monday he showed up and fortunately it turned out to be a failed startup capacitor, not the fan motor itself, so he was able to get it going right away. Still about a $400 bill including the capacitor, which is like a $160 part all by itself.

Far as I'm concerned, the ONLY good thing about summer is women's wardrobe changes.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen to me 3 weeks ago. I picked up a cheap Wal Mart 6k BTU window unit and put it in my bedroom window. During the day I left the door open, and it managed to knock the whole house down a few degrees at least. An hour before I went to bed, I closed the bedroom door, and when I went back in there it was a comfortable 65 degrees to sleep in, and as someone else said earlier the hum puts you right to sleep. It got me through until I managed to replace the whole HVAC system.

After this, I don't think I will ever be without a window unit again. It kept the house liveable, and any time I need supplemental cooling for any reason I can just plug it in.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
So $210 to replace an admittedly hard-to-turn fan motor a

Probably what caused the breaker to blow so you really didn't lose that money.

Nope, the 3 amp fuse protects the 24 volt control circuit, not the blower.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
He had no clue what was wrong with the system.

Sorry to hear you found a rookie, but at least they didn't condemn the equipment because they couldn't repair it. That's what most HVAC company's do when they don't know "jack shit" about how things work.

Make and model numbers?

What's the symptoms?
Indoor blower running?
Does the outdoor unit run?
Anything else you can tell me? (As in, trips breaker, humming sound, freezes up, etc)

posted Hide Post
88 degrees?

Try 109 degrees in Tucson, but it's a dry heat.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any update?

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
He had no clue what was wrong with the system.

Sorry to hear you found a rookie, but at least they didn't condemn the equipment because they couldn't repair it. That's what most HVAC company's do when they don't know "jack shit" about how things work.

Make and model numbers?

What's the symptoms?
Indoor blower running?
Does the outdoor unit run?
Anything else you can tell me? (As in, trips breaker, humming sound, freezes up, etc)
Its a Bryant 5 ton Evolution system, about 14-15 years old. The air handler in the garage functions without issue, but the heat pump on the pad outside won't kick on. Had a senior tech look at it yesterday and he condemned the compressor as being bad. With the system as old as it is, and a new compressor for the old system being stupidly expensive, I'm pricing a new 5 ton system right now.

Any recommendations on brands? Since we plan to sell this house in the next couple years I really don't want to bury any more cash in this than necessary. Through just a bit of conversation with my neighbors, it appears darn near everyone (four and counting) who've replaced an AC system in the past couple years used Goodman equipment.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I sold Goodman (Janitrol) for a number of years at the distributor level. It was a no frills brand. Did not have the brand recognition of the big namers but we did well with it. It was a bit cheaper but functioned well. Goodman rebranded it self many times over.
I won't say it was as good as the best. But as has been said over and over and over in these threads. It is about 80% the installer and 20% the equipment when it comes to a good job or a bad one. Equipment aside, imho.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Check with the company you are using to replace your a/c about window units.

When our a/c went out the earliest they could schedule us was 9 days out. They gave us 2 loaner window units to help us get by until they could install the new unit.

Fortunately they had a few cancellations and were able to get to us sooner.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its a Bryant 5 ton Evolution system, about 14-15 years old. The air handler in the garage functions without issue, but the heat pump on the pad outside won't kick on. Had a senior tech look at it yesterday and he condemned the compressor as being bad. With the system as old as it is, and a new compressor for the old system being stupidly expensive, I'm pricing a new 5 ton system right now.

Was the electrical breaker for the outside condenser tripping?
If not, does the outside fan operate?

At this point, I would recommend getting a second opinion. Without telling the second company that it was already condemned by the first company.

quote:
Any recommendations on brands? Since we plan to sell this house in the next couple years I really don't want to bury any more cash in this than necessary. Through just a bit of conversation with my neighbors, it appears darn near everyone (four and counting) who've replaced an AC system in the past couple years used Goodman equipment.

Goodman dealers are normally cheaper than the rest. Equipment is cheaper (lack of advertisement), easier to get, often installed by new contractors (lack of proper installing technics and/or lack of knowing cost of business exspenses) and other factors lend a hand to the cheaper overall price.

*If* installed by a competent HVAC tech, it can and will last several years. Although, it's harder to find a competent tech selling this particular brand of equipment.

Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
I worked in HVAC for about 8 years at a Nuclear plant. I will add, to always ask for an explanation. Sometimes it's easy to smell the BS.

If they are condemning the compressor ask how they tested it? At a minimum check for shorts to ground and resistance check across all the windings of the compressor. I would also megger (megaohmmeter) the compressor motor leads to ground. That checks the varnish/insulation on the motor windings that a regular ohm meter would not detect.

I agree with Excam_Man, just condemning things with out a reason is not a good sign usually.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1184 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post