SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gotta love it! One of the hottest weekends of the year so far and guess what opts to completely fail?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gotta love it! One of the hottest weekends of the year so far and guess what opts to completely fail? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
If you guessed our HVAC system, you win a prize. It failed around 6pm yesterday, so last night was not very enjoyable. Right now, I'm sitting in the family room with the rear doors open to the patio and two fans running, and the thermostat on the table behind me shows 88 degrees. Had an emergency service call done a few hours ago and his verdict.....He had no clue what was wrong with the system. However, I somehow owned his company a $130 diagnostic call. I'll take that up with the service manager tomorrow morning when I schedule a 'senior' tech back out here to start over again. So Monday will be another hurry up and wait day for me where I get little to nothing doen. Oh, and did I mention how happy my wife is right now to consider another night without A/C? We old people like our A/C. Mad

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Hotel/motel time!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Had an emergency service call done a few hours ago and his verdict.....He had no clue what was wrong with the system. However, I somehow owned his company a $130 diagnostic call.
I have a special deal for you. If you want a diagnostic visit from somebody who has no clue whatsoever, I'll do it for half their price. Special, today only. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try a reset with the breaker?

I have a split unit in my downstairs apt I sometimes need to do this with

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
He had no clue what was wrong with the system.

Top men!

Sorry about your AC woes...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
Hotel/motel time!
Maybe not so easy. I think he has a few doggies.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I wish I could charge my customers for showing up and doing nothing.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
There are so many things to hate about this time of year. Heat is one of the worst. Sorry for the trouble.
Hope you can get a quality fix. Soon.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So the first guy came out and said "Yep, it's broke, nope I don't know why. $130 please?"

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
walmart or something similar near by with small window units on sale??

walmart and sears show a 5000 btu for little over a huindred,

put it in a bedroom window and turn it all the way down,

keep the door closed, you will at least get some sleep,

I took a similar unit to Camp Perry one year, ran it 24/7 for a week, kept the hut in the mid 60's at night, and just below 80 during the day,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
Hotel/motel time!

For several days during the summer of '07 (I think it was) in NY, we had a power outage. It was so damned hot and humid it was intolerable for someone used to nothing better than about 90F (at best) and 30% humidity (at worst). I was dying and the pooch was even worse off. One night was enough. I went and rented a hotel room until it was over.

For the life of me I don't know how some of you folks can live in that weather.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
AC made the South livable.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
walmart or something similar near by with small window units on sale??

walmart and sears show a 5000 btu for little over a huindred,

put it in a bedroom window and turn it all the way down,

keep the door closed, you will at least get some sleep,

I took a similar unit to Camp Perry one year, ran it 24/7 for a week, kept the hut in the mid 60's at night, and just below 80 during the day,

This is what I’ve done in the past.

Posts: 4107 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
For several days during the summer of '07 (I think it was) in NY, we had a power outage. It was so damned hot and humid it was intolerable for someone used to nothing better than about 90F (at best) and 30% humidity (at worst). I was dying and the pooch was even worse off. One night was enough. I went and rented a hotel room until it was over.

For the life of me I don't know how some of you folks can live in that weather.

Unfortunately AC has made it livable for far too many people. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain, a year and a week ago same thing happened to me on a Friday night. 6 days and $5,600 later the problem was fixed. If it was just me I would have sucked it up with a small portable from work till fall to save a bit from the summer “got you by the balls” pricing. With dogs and a wife that wasn’t going to fly.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Had about the same thing happen two weeks ago at my in-laws house. After the $155 service call, the guy said it was a frozen fan motor: $750 for the motor, 10 days to arrive... plus another service call fee = "No thanks." Being somewhat handy, I pulled the fan motor and went down to the local electrical repair shop which had them new in-stock for $210. But that didn't fix the problem, so back I went for some advice. They advised me to take the access panel off the air handler in the attic and check the 3-amp fuse (looks like a car fuse) on the circuit. I did, and sure enough it was blown. This was preventing the 24 VDC demand signal to the coil on the outside unit. So $210 to replace an admittedly hard-to-turn fan motor and $4 for a six-pack of 3 amp fuses and their house was back to being cool again.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain, ours took a dump around noon yesterday. We got a couple of those floor units that vent out the window, so at least we can sleep. I deal with the zero or below so much better than the heat and humidity.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
We had the control unit for our water (well pump, etc) system crap out a few days ago. Twelve year old unit...saw some smoke and that was all she wrote.

$1204 and two days later we have water. The joys of rural living and home ownership.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Well, its midnight here in the "Sunshine State", six fans are running, and its 86 degrees in the house. Needless to stay no one is getting any real sleep tonight. This sucks on a monumental level.

And a piece of trivia. lLst year at this time we were on vacation in Red Lodge Montana (one of my favorite places on the planet) where its currently 52 degrees. Oh to be there tonight.... Frown

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I would not pay for something you could’ve told him! No service was rendered. No payment. Plain and simple.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post