SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Herters ammo being discontinued?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Herters ammo being discontinued? Login/Join 
posted
I read that Cabelas line of Herters ammo is being discontinued. It's all on sale right now. Has anyone else heard about this? It really sucks if it's true, it was usually a little cheaper than the other brands.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
Does Bass Pro have a cheaper line of ammo? It may be due to the acquisition of Cabelas.

Posts: 3364 | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen any BP exclusive ammo. I'm my experience, Cabelas almost always had cheaper ammo than BP, no matter what brand it was. I wouldn't be surprised if BP was gradually phasing Cabelas out as a store and a brand.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
The Bass Pro acquisition of Cabelas has been a sad turn of events. I tried to be positive, but I felt that Cabelas would suffer after this.
There is a Bass Pro in Opry Mills, 10 or so miles from my house. I became so disgusted with the prices, atmosphere, etc. that I started traveling to Bowling Green, KY to visit the Cabelas store when I wanted to visit an interesting outdoors store. The last time I went to Cabelas (before Christmas), I realized that Cabelas had basically morphed into a Bass Pro without the actual name.
I won't be back to Cabelas anytime in the near future...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Confused Herter's is just Cabela's house brand of repackaged ammunition. It's not as though a manufacturer is going out of buisness; the odds are that the same ammo will be available under the manufacturer's brand or through companies like RWS and Wolf. At the same time, Cabela's has never been a cheap source of ammunition and I find it hard to believe that Cabela's ever really offered anything you couldn't find elsewhere - that was certainly never the case at the one nearest to me!

For some reference: http://www.americanhunter.org/...s-select-grade-ammo/

Cabela's may now be just Bass Pro in something more than just corporate terms, but this doesn't really seem like a catastrophe. A quick look at the Cabela's website shows something less than a dozen different types of ammunition on sale.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
They have the .30-06 on sale for $10 a box so I ordered a whole bunch the other day for the 1903 I got for Christmas.
I gave their .270 a try awhile back and it was a wee bit inconsistent.
It will do just fine for the likes of the 1903 thought at .50 a round. Then I’ll have plenty of bras to just roll my own.

Yes, Bass Pro is absolutely killing Cabelas. I really like Cabelas GuideGear Line it is as high quality as I need at a pretty good price.
More and more is on clearance each time I go and they do not appear to be replacing it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's like everything else in that it will soon have both Bass Pro and Cabelas on the label.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have not heard of it being discontinued here in Va,

most of it, if not all is made by S&B IIRC

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Cabella's..Everything a Sportsman could want, except for a good deal.

Don't understand the folks that pay full retail in these places. I know there's the occasional deal with coupons, etc. But overall...a rip off.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

Don't understand the folks that pay full retail in these places. I know there's the occasional deal with coupons, etc. But overall...a rip off.

Ammo prices are pretty consistent everywhere I go. Cabelas has as good or better selection than other B&M stores, imo.

I certainly do not buy guns from them, though.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

Ammo prices are pretty consistent everywhere I go. Cabelas has as good or better selection than other B&M stores, imo.

Buy cases online, it's soooo much cheaper if you can do that.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I was in the Cabelas in Acworth last month and I was surprised on how many items had Bass Pro tags on them. I thought the ammunition was at a good price. I regret not buying it when I was there.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I was in the Cabelas in Acworth last month and I was surprised on how many items had Bass Pro tags on them. I thought the ammunition was at a good price. I regret not buying it when I was there.

Have you ever checked prices at SGammo.com, TargetSportsUSA.com, or any one of a number of great online retailers?

When I went into a Cabela’s in Spokane many years ago after only having been exposed to Commiefornia LGS prices I thought they were okay. When I later started purchasing online I revised my opinion of Cabela’s prices.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

Have you ever checked prices at SGammo.com, TargetSportsUSA.com, or any one of a number of great online retailers?

When I went into a Cabela’s in Spokane many years ago after only having been exposed to Commiefornia LGS prices I thought they were okay. When I later started purchasing online I revised my opinion of Cabela’s prices.

I shop when I buy ammunition. I would say 1 out of 5 purchases are made from Cabela's. Sometimes they have good sales. When I was there last, they had a good deal on Federal 22Lr in a steel 30cal ammo box IIRC 1600 rounds for $69. My brother shoots a lot of 22Lr and I should have picked up a box for him and for me although (I know you can never have enough) I have enough, I hesitated and didn't get it. I visit Georgia a few times a year so there is always next time.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I buy shotgun shells from rogerssportinggoods.com usually. But sometimes you need them right now. 16 ga shells are more and more readily available now but for awhile they were not. Cabelas typically had a few cases of Herters #7.5's or #8's for $70.

Someone have me a Bass Pro gift card for Christmas... wonder if they would accept it at Cabelas?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Yes they will accept it.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
quote:
I buy shotgun shells from rogerssportinggoods.com usually. But sometimes you need them right now. 16 ga shells are more and more readily available now but for awhile they were not. Cabelas typically had a few cases of Herters #7.5's or #8's for $70.

Someone have me a Bass Pro gift card for Christmas... wonder if they would accept it at Cabelas?

Your Bass Pro gift card will work at Cabelas. The problem will be in finding something worth purchasing. Yeah, I have a rather intense dislike for Bass Pro, customer service is horrible and the products they sell under their house brands are JUNK. I stopped driving to Bass Pro for a good reason, I always left that store in a lousy mood and after just two visits I've never gone back.

Now they are not so slowly turning Cabelas into another Bass Pro. Bit of a shame that, they spent a fortune building the new Cabelas in Chesterfield Michigan and I expect it close within the next 3 years. Now all those millions of dollars will end up being flushed down the toilet. Frankly I hope to see Bass Pro circling the drain soon.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post