SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tom Petty Taken to Hospital - Full Cardiac Arrest. UPDATE: CBS Screws Pooch - Nobody Knows Truth Yet
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tom Petty Taken to Hospital - Full Cardiac Arrest. UPDATE: CBS Screws Pooch - Nobody Knows Truth Yet Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Just read it on Fox News. Frown

http://www.foxnews.com/enterta...ort-report-says.html

quote:

Tom Petty rushed to hospital in full cardiac arrest, on life support, report says

Tom Petty was reportedly taken off of life support after he was found unconscious in his California home on Sunday.

According to TMZ, the 66-year-old star was found in cardiac arrest, not breathing.

His personal appearances manager told Fox News the office had “no comment at this time.”

The Florida native, who rose to fame in the ‘70s as the lead of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, has had a busy year. He’s been touring to celebrate the 40th anniversary of his band. Last week, he wrapped up a long leg of the tour with three sold-out shows at the Hollywood Bowl, according to Forbes.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/t...ocker-is-dead-at-66/

quote:
Tom Petty, legendary rocker, is dead at 66

Tom Petty, the rocker best known as the frontman of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, is dead at 66, CBS News has confirmed.

The legendary musician suffered a full cardiac arrest and was found unconscious and not breathing in his Malibu home Sunday night. He was taken to UCLA Santa Monica Hospital and put on life support, reports TMZ.

Petty rose to fame in the 1970s with his band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The group put out several hits, including "American Girl," "Free Fallin'," "Breakdown," "Listen to Her Heart" and more. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

Though Petty and his band debuted their first self-titled record in 1976, they continued to perform over the past four decades. Petty played his last show last Monday, performing three sold-out shows at the Hollywood Bowl to conclude their 40th anniversary tour. The band wrote on their website that the tour included 53 shows in 24 states.

In December, Petty told Rolling Stone that he thought this would be the group's last tour together. He said, "It's very likely we'll keep playing, but will we take on 50 shows in one tour? I don't think so. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was thinking this might be the last big one. We're all on the backside of our sixties. I have a granddaughter now I'd like to see as much as I can. I don't want to spend my life on the road. This tour will take me away for four months. With a little kid, that's a lot of time."

Petty, who released three solo albums and 13 albums with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, also took part in the 1980s supergroup the Traveling Wilburys with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne. He told Rolling Stone he was hoping to release a deluxe version of his 1994 solo album "Wildflowers" with a bonus disc of unreleased material. He had also hoped to play a special "Wildflowers" tour.

The rocker kept his hands full with his SiriusXM channel, Tom Petty Radio, as well. He personally oversaw the station and had his own interview show called "Tom Talks to Cool People" where he interviewed musicians like Micky Dolenz of the Monkees and former Rolling Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LS1 GTO,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the other news today.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Reports that he had no brain activity, so life support was removed.

Frown

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43877 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the music. Godspeed.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aogOR8c8Q4

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Just saw this when I went online to check for updates re Las Vegas.

Sorry to hear this. Even though I never saw him live, he was one of my favorite rock musicians.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's really a shame. 66 isn't that old either.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Just saw that as well.
I met Tom Petty in Gainesville in the 1990s. My friends tell me I made him laugh. Sadly, I cannot recall the meeting.

I do remember meeting Tom Petty's father in Rexall Drugs in Gainesville. I was talking to one of the pharmacy technicians when he came in. My friend filled the prescription while chatting with Mr. Petty. He kept referring to Tom as, "That boy" as in, "Aw, that boy is out in California making music."

I enjoyed Tom Petty's music quite a bit. RIP Tom.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pantera1994
posted Hide Post
Wow that sucks. I've been a fan of his for decades RIP.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Me too. He was a good artist that will be missed. I've enjoyed his Heartbreakers albums as well as the iconic Traveling Wilburys pair.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Hoax?

http://en.mediamass.net/people...petty/deathhoax.html

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that...I watch this video dam near every week.
https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
RIP Tom Petty

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aowSGxim_O8

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
In a world gone mad....
Yer So Bad

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Hoax?

http://en.mediamass.net/people...petty/deathhoax.html

His official website has nothing as yet. I don't know, but a lot of major news outlets are saying he died.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
RIP for sure...was one of my favorites. Saw him twice over the years; both at MSG in NY. Two of the best live shows I have ever been too.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's official. RIP

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
He was the best, RIP

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm getting tired of all this bad news. This sucks. RIP

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Damnit! Frown

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow another of the greats gone. That sucks!
RIP!

Posts: 1219 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post