SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to fall asleep when you're not tired?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to fall asleep when you're not tired? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Any tips for getting some sleep when you're not tired? I have a long drive ahead of me next week, and I'd like to go to sleep right after work, and sleep until about midnight, then get up and leave. I've tried doing this before without any luck, but maybe somebody here has a suggestion that will work.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Try reading a database programming book? Seriously, that shit always puts me right to sleep.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Try reading a database programming book? Seriously, that shit always puts me right to sleep.

Doesn't work - I read them all day long Smile

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Play golf?
Mentally review your last round. If you play like I do, you'll be exhausted by the third hole.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1054 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Xanax

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
A completely dark room, noise maker to mask the sounds of the day and an Alteril. Sometimes earplugs help with the songs the noise maker won't cover.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Masturbate

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
A cup of coffee or two, w/caffeine.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Take a couple of Benadryl pills. They make me sleepy for about 3 hours.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Masturbate

Well, I wasn't going to say it, but yes.

A large steak dinner and a couple glasses of fine scotch followed by vigorous sex will also do wonders, even if it doesn't help you sleep.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Go watch the White Sox play.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Masturbate

I'm assuming you haven't had a good night's sleep since you were 11. Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
Go watch the White Sox play Major League Baseball .

FIFY.

For me, a 1/2 a Benadryl will put me out in about 30 minutes at night with a dark room and ceiling fan running.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Listen to NPR or PBS

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

Doesn't work - I read them all day long Smile

My sympathies. But failing that, I'd second/third the Benadryl. That's what they gave me in the hospital when the usual stuff quit working, and it did the trick.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Try an audiobook, some subjects will knock you down in no time.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

For me, a 1/2 a Benadryl will put me out in about 30 minutes at night with a dark room and ceiling fan running.

Twice a month I would drive about 5 hours to a location for work. Start time was 5am.

Half a Benny around 7pm and I would be asleep by 8pm. Obviously limited your caffeine intake leading up to your nap.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Xanax

Yep

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Melatonin pills

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Magnesium works for me. I’ll take it about 30-45 mins before I need to sleep.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post