SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's Talk Ladders!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's Talk Ladders! Login/Join 
posted
So, as some know, my garage was broken into a month ago and I lost some tools...one of them being a 22' Little Giant ladder I inherited from my FIL. Now that I am close to settling insurance claim I am going to stay replacing things and I see there are other choices besides Little Giant, specifically Gorilla and Werner and was curious if anyone knew if one was better than another?

I am looking at the 22' and use will be general household.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Go with the Gorilla.

I use them as staging for work.

Little Giants are nice, but too heavy.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Go with the Gorilla.

I use them as staging for work.

Little Giants are nice, but too heavy.

Thanks Arc, the Gorilla is what got me thinking about others. Back when my FIL bought the Little Giant I dont think there was much competition but now it looks like there are options

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I have the aluminum knock off ladder from Harbor Freight. I think it was $100 or so and has been great for me. It is a bit heavy but the flexibility is nice.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The little giants are beasts. Werner gets a lot more use around my house. Go with the Werner or Gorilla

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the Werner a few years back. I was very impressed with how sturdy it is, especially at full extension vs my other traditional fiberglass extension ladder.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Stay the hell away from little giants. Heavy, awkward, and likely to give you a blood blister when you pinch your finger.

Werner is GTG. Unless you're overweight get second tier not top as they weigh less.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Werner. The ladders my dad and grandad used, and still good.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Some newer Werner ladders (the LG knockoff 1AA) have been recalled, FYI.

I have several Werner 300-lb rated, and a 22’ LG 1AA-rated ladder. The LG is a beast.

I wouldn’t have any hesitation buying a Gorilla.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Stay the hell away from little giants. Heavy, awkward, and likely to give you a blood blister when you pinch your finger.

Werner is GTG. Unless you're overweight get second tier not top as they weigh less.

Funny, all the reasons you listed to avoid LG are issues I had with it

Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Speaking from experience, don't buy anything close to your weight in capacity. I have gone flying off a ladder that was rated 250lbs and I was 240 a the time. I like good strong safe ladders. I pretty much only buy fiberglass Werner rated at least 300lbs. I have found them extremely sturdy for my weight especially when you get out to the limits of extension. Also like the fiberglass in case you are near wires.

Having said that, I also have a Little Giant multi-ladder I use for things like up stairs and other not so flat areas.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The Gorilla little giant ripoffs came first, which is why I have several. Then Werner came out with their version, but I didn't need it, because we haven't broken/worn out the Gorillas.

All of the extension ladders I've practically ever touched have been Werner, of various grades and lengths.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
The Gorilla little giant ripoffs came first, which is why I have several. Then Werner came out with their version, but I didn't need it, because we haven't broken/worn out the Gorillas.

All of the extension ladders I've practically ever touched have been Werner, of various grades and lengths.

I know on all the grip/production trucks I use we only have Werner step ladders and have never had an issue die to the ladder. The one I am getting is strictly a home ladder for small projects and after some more research it would seem that, dollar for dollar, the Gorilla seems to be the best value and best decison

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Considering that I and coworkers have abused them and left them out in the weather for years, I think they're fine.

Arc.

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the bigger ones, but I have a house sized Gorilla and just love that thing.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Little Giant, except for the fact that it gets heavier every single year Mad

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have a Little Giant circa 1995. Weighs a lot but has never failed me. I have needed to keep the hinge point greased and, at times, use a punch to unfreeze the lock after being stowed. I'd had to spend the gold required to replace it. Wink
Truth is though, for 98% of the household jobs I use it for, it's overkill. But the other 2%...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure they are all Type 1A...rated for 300lbs. Go for best price. I have an original Little Giant. They must have owned original patent....all of a sudden 10yrs ago the knockoffs popped up. They all seem good, go for price/weight.

Dmac

Posts: 22 | Location: Coastal Massachusetts | Registered: July 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Home Depot sells a Gorilla MPX 22 ft. ladder which went on sale a few months ago for $99. The same model with a free accessory kit (wheels) was $99 this past Black Friday. It was also on sale for the same price in March of 2017.

It is currently $170. If you are able to wait, perhaps it will go on sale again in a few months.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Go...-GLA-MPX22/300330222

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a Werner guy. My home ladders, work ladders all Werner. None have ever failed me even with my 200 lb body, a full tool belt, and full sheets of 3/4 plywood.
I vote for what I know and trust.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post