SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best way to ship expensive guns?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to ship expensive guns? Login/Join 
Picture of fnforme
posted
My transferable HK sear’s timing is off and destroyed a couple locking pieces and a bolt in my MP5 host.i need to ship $40,000 worth of sear and hosts for repair and have been holding off for months because the stress of shipping it is bothering me.

Whats The best way to mitigate my risk? Best carrier for guns?

Posts: 3419 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, what you have now is a $40,000 paperweight.

Where do you have to ship it to? That would determine HOW you should ship it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'd buy a Storm case, and keep the cardboard box it comes in. Cut the foam for your MP5, insert your gun, close the case, put the case into the original cardboard box, and tape the crap out of it. I'd ship the gun FEDEX to your smith.

I have both a Pelican 1750 and a Storm 3300, and the Storm is slightly better (e.g. 6 latches instead of 4).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'd drive them myself, given those prices.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I don't know if a common carrier will insure it for that much, and if so it would be costly. I'd have a policy covering it and make sure it covers off premises theft/disappearance.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I'd drive them myself, given those prices.

Me, too.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fnforme
posted Hide Post
None of those options are plausible. I can’t drive from Miami to Oklahoma. Simply don’t have the time. I’ve tried insuring my collection but it’s more than 5% per annum and my collection is worth a lot (I have some badass safes and a surveillance system)

Posts: 3419 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

OK, IF cost is not a priority,

how about flying it over and back on a private aircraft?

There are several companies that share flights across the US and world.

One I know of is Clay Lacy aviation based in California.

Just a thought, if you can, make a mini vacation with family.

Posts: 1200 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Tatortodd's suggestion is the best offered so far. You might consider a Pelican case as an alternative to a Storm case.

Are you equally worried about the return shipment? If not, why not?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the folks you are sending the items to can make a suggestion

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
I believe FedEx is your only option UPS doesn't ship Full Auto

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
I would call the repair facility and get their input on this. I'm fairly sure you would not be their first out of state customer.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Perhaps the folks you are sending the items to can make a suggestion

Best answer. Smile

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fnforme:
None of those options are plausible.
Why isn't my FEDEX shipping in a Storm case viable? I just did a quote from Miami to Tulsa on their website with $40k insurance and it was $583.22 for FedEx Express Saver (had a few more expensive options up to $778.11 for quicker shipping).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fnforme:
None of those options are plausible. I can’t drive from Miami to Oklahoma. Simply don’t have the time. I’ve tried insuring my collection but it’s more than 5% per annum and my collection is worth a lot (I have some badass safes and a surveillance system)
Ah, well we are all out of suggestions then.

Do what you feel is best.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Private common/contract carrier would seem to be a tighter "chain of custody", and maybe the most secure and least likely to be "lost".

That's my best Holiday Inn Express answer.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I don't know if a common carrier will insure it for that much, and if so it would be costly. I'd have a policy covering it and make sure it covers off premises theft/disappearance.

They absolutely will. I know a guy who lives in a pretty remote location but is a highly respected art appraiser/authenticator. I think he's retired now, but he used to have FedEx dropping off art valued at 6-7 figures at his house in the middle of nowhere all the time.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
That's my best Holiday Inn Express answer.

Comeon, we all know you were the guy getting the upgrade to the Hampton Inn.

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post