SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pairing your Girl Scout Cookies with beer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pairing your Girl Scout Cookies with beer Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
At last, the answer to the age old question, "Which beer do I drink with which cookie" Razz

Girl Scout cookie season is (finally) here, and if there is one thing that could make the little delicacies any better, it's beer.

But which beer should be paired with which cookie? I asked Catherine Kogos, store manager of the Casual Pint - Northshore, to sophisticate my palate with some of the best pairings.

Samoas & bold, full-flavored Scotch ales.

This caramel and toasted coconut cookie with dark chocolate is always the first empty box in my pantry.

To ensure the rich flavor of the Samoa doesn't overshadow the beer, Kogos pairs it with a bold, full-flavored Scotch ale. She suggests Yeehaw's Velvet Charmer, a "maltbomb of a sweetness" that will enhance the coconut and chocolate of the cookie. The Yeehaw Eighty is a good less sweet option, she said.

"Scotch Ales traditionally go through a long boil in the kettle for a caramelization of the wort," Kogos said. "This produces a deep copper to brown in colored brew. This creates an ale that is sweeter and fuller-bodied, with a much more pronounced malty caramel and roasted malt flavor."

Thin Mints & dark, roasty stouts

Oh, Thin Mints. They're delicious, come with like 1,000 cookies in one box AND their crispiness is perfect for dunking into beer.

"Chocolate infused stouts or porters are good for dunking," Kogos said. "They have a bold enough flavor that balances well with the minty freshness of the Thin Mint."

Kogos recommends a Boulder Shake Chocolate Porter or local Hexagon Chocolate Jesus with this one.

Tagalongs & dark, malty lager.

It was tough for Kogos to find a beer worthy of the vanilla, chocolate and peanut butter flavor fusion, but she said to start with a dark, malty lager.

"A slightly heavier bodied, colored version of a pale lager," Kogos said. "The beer's darkness is sometimes the result of roasted malts, it is often artificial and made with dark caramel syrups. The taste may include mild sweetness from caramel."

Kogos said YeeHaw's Dunkel is perfect for this pairing, with a Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan brown ale trailing close behind.

Trefoils & IPAs

The classic shortbread cookie's butter and vanilla flavor pairs well with almost any beer, Kogos said, but she suggests trying it with an IPA.

"The subtle sweetness of the Trefoil will make the hops pop and shine, bringing out their citrusy brightness," she said. "Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA would be an excellent choice with the Trefoil. It’s a session beer with a lot of citrusy hop character. Dogfish has mastered this popular style of beer."

IPAs aren't for everyone, though. Kogos said the Blackhorse Vanilla Cream Ale is a great alternative pairing.

Do-si-dos & Hefeweizen.

Pair this peanut butter classic with a golden Hefeweizen, a great option for craft beer newbies, Kogos said.

"A Hefeweizen is an easy to drink, smooth wheaty German style beer," Kogos said. "Notes of clove and banana are signatures of this traditional style, complemented by a subtle bready malt character."

Kogos suggested Yazoo's Hefeweizen, as well as Starrhill Brewery's.

"Another one that would be wonderful with the Do-Si-Do is the Wells Banana Bread Beer," Kogos said. "How can you go wrong with peanut butter and banana?"

S’mores & coffee milk stouts

The new S'mores cookie had me thinking, "Why didn't they think of this before?" last season. Luckily S'mores returned this year and is just waiting to be paired with a coffee milk stout.
"Dark, roasted and with the right amount of sweetness, this type of beer brings up memories of sitting by the fire at camp with a hot cup of coffee and a s’more in hand," Kogos said.

She suggests Blackhorse Brewery's Coffee Milk Stout, an English style sweet stout with fresh roasted beans from Knoxville's Three Bears Coffee Company.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story...have-try/1036628001/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Never thought about specific beer to a specific cookie but one thing is I LOVE chocolate paired with beer. Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really don't care for sweets with beer (or spirits for that matter). The two flavors clash way too much for me.

shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
No way, frozen Thin Mints and milk.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Never thought about specific beer to a specific cookie but one thing is I LOVE chocolate paired with beer. Cool

Peanut M&M with a Samuel Adams Oktoberfest...

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thin Mints and a nice Stout? I'm all over it! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried any parings yet?

It's strange how the cookies are named differently - here locally

Samoa's = Carmel Delights
Tagalong's = Peanut Butter Patties
Trefoil's = Shortbread Cookies
Do Si Do's = Peanut Butter Sandwich

The others are the same... Hmmm...

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post