SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    House Oversight Committee slams Holder over Fast and Furious...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House Oversight Committee slams Holder over Fast and Furious... Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/politic...running-scandal.html

The House Oversight Committee released a scathing report Wednesday that accuses former Attorney General Eric Holder and his Department of Justice of covering up Operation Fast and Furious and misleading Congress’ investigation into the botched gun-running operation.

The nearly 300-page report states that the Justice Department under Holder actively tried to hide the facts from the loved ones of slain Border Patrol Brian Terry – seeing his family as more of a “nuisance” than one deserving straight answers -- and at times being openly hostile to them.

Terry was killed on Dec. 14, 2010, in a gunfight between Border Patrol agents and members of a six-man cartel "rip crew," which regularly patrolled the desert along the U.S.-Mexico border looking for drug dealers to rob. The cartel member suspected of slaying the Border Patrol agent, Heraclio Osorio-Arellanes, was apprehended in April by a joint U.S.-Mexico law enforcement task force.

Terry’s death exposed Operation Fast and Furious, which was a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) operation in which the federal government allowed criminals to buy guns in Phoenix-area shops with the intention of tracking them once they made their way into Mexico. But the agency lost track of more than 1,400 of the 2,000 guns they allowed smugglers to buy. Two of those guns were found at the scene of Terry's killing.

“More than five years after Brian’s murder, the Terry family still wonders about key details of Operation Fast and Furious,” the report states. “The Justice Department’s obstruction of Congress’s investigation contributed to the Terry family’s inability to find answers.”

The new report states that the Justice Department knew before Terry’s death in 2010 that the ATF was “walking” firearms to Mexico and knew the day after the agent’s death that weapons from Fast and Furious were involved in the shootout, despite denying these facts to the media.

The report also says that Holder’s Justice Department stonewalled inquiries from Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and deceptively told him that the “ATF makes every effort to interdict” firearms purchased by straw buyers. The controversial act of straw purchases – where a person who is prohibited from buying firearms uses another person to buy a gun on his or her behalf – has been a popular method that Mexico’s drug cartels use to obtain guns.

The House Oversight Committee, chaired by Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, was holding a hearing Wednesday on the panel’s lengthy report.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
it seems like nobody at any level was really held accountable for this.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Yet...

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Yet...

As much as they need to held accountable, I'd be very surprised if anyone ever is.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Holder held in contempt of Congress for refusing to provide information on this?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Wasn't Holder held in contempt of Congress for refusing to provide information on this?

As I recall, he was.

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Yeah and O'buttmunch pardoned him...for the contempt. Maybe some charges will be filed for the actual criminality of the transferring of weapons. Are the deaths resulting from it also able to be attached to the firearms violations?

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Yes... And nothing came of it.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Yeah and O'buttmunch pardoned him...for the contempt. Maybe some charges will be filed for the actual criminality of the transferring of weapons. Are the deaths resulting from it also able to be attached to the firearms violations?

There was no pardon. There was no prosecution, because contempts of Congress are prosectued by the Department of Justice, headed by uhhh, errr, ahhh, Eric Holder.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. I think it's important to remember the context of 2008-2010... the Obama administration was poised to make significant anti-gun legislation and we were hearing all the rumbling about how our lax gun laws were fueling the chaos in mexico. Didn't their shitty president come here and lecture our congress? Anyway, I continue to believe that F&F releasing guns was part of a wider scheme to facilitate a political environment where increased gun legislation was more palatable.

I know that sounds conspiratorial, and I certainly have nothing more than my own speculation. But the context of many speeches, coordinated democrat events, F&F, all those things have lead me to believe that the previous administration had a plan to allow Mexican violence to pressure us into increasing gun laws here, and the whole thing blew up in their faces. Just my opinion.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Tempest in a tea pot. Light, smoke and mirrors. Congress seems to have no teeth and no stomach for tough stuff.

Just pretty hearings to make us think they are working on our behalf.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
The agency lost track of more than 1,400 of the 2,000 guns they allowed smugglers to buy.

Beyond the absurdity of the idea itself, the execution was a monumental failure.

It would be nice to know the current employment and legal status of every single person involved in this mass cluster fuck. Was *anyone* with the ATF or DOJ fired or prosecuted?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
These betrayals will continue as long as all that results is talk and scowling .

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29694 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps, I repeat, perhaps it is a start.....we can always hope!!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
<p>[URL=https://giphy.com/gifs/off-capture-jerking-FICogzS6iahYA]via GIPHY[/URL]</p>

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How were the guns supposed to be tracked? What was the failure in tracking them?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
How were the guns supposed to be tracked? What was the failure in tracking them?

The plan was to track the guns when they were recovered at crime scenes in Mexico. No kidding. The dead Mexicans were just collateral damage. In the end the BATFE tracked a few hundred guns found at the site of murders and other crimes in Mexico, but only did so after F&F was exposed.

The entire operational plan was never intended to break up cartels or smuggling, it was to create a the grounds to create a new assault weapons ban that really banned them and to undermine our Rights.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig2340 nails it.

Sound? Check.
Fury? Check.
Smoke? Check.
Mirrors? Check.
Prosecution? Nope? Check.
Back to my nap? Che.......zzzzzzzz

Posts: 517 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
At least one "holder" gun was recovered at the scene of one of the Paris attacks.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post