SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Applying for new job after two months
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Applying for new job after two months Login/Join 
posted
Looking for a little career advice here.

Starting working for an organization two months ago right after graduating from college (I served 6 years in the military before going to school so I’m older). It’s not a bad job but it pays the absolute minimum that I’m willing to work for and I feel very much underemployed.

There’s a job opening within the organization but different department that pays better and is more inline with what I went to college for. I’m thinking about applying for it but not sure how it would look.

Thoughts?

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
My opinion is, you're in it for the money, that's why we work, so do what's best for you.

I got promoted to supervisor back in January and start a new job with a different agency tomorrow. I'm sure it pissed some people off that they went through the hiring/testing process to promote me and I left a short time later, but I simply don't care. I did a good job while there, but I'm after pay, benefits, work environment, and opportunity.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Some companies have a minimum time requirement in a position before you can transfer to another position in the company. Assuming the company you work for does not have a prohibition against it, I don't see a problem with applying and seeing what happens.

If they saw fit to transfer you to another position or fire you they would not hesitate in doing so. Never forget that.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
An opening in the same organization with a pay raise should be considered a move up the ladder.
No one should look down on you. Hope you get it!
Thanks for your service!

Posts: 1182 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I'll give you some advice. The best way to increase your salary is to change organizations. Perhaps every 5-7 years. You have much more bargaining power as a potential employee with needed skills, than as an employee.

And it's near impossible in the private sector to get access to someone's current pay, so most people lie and add several thousand to their current salary as a bargaining chip. (You currently make $50k, you tell them you make $58k, and ask for $65k)

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even if your company has a policy about minimum times at a position before a move, I'd look into it. Claim Noobie Status and state your qualifications. If you're turned down, stay in touch with the new department so they think of you when you become eligible.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will look like you want to move up within the company. Even if you don't get the job, you've sent the signal that you want to promote. The suits will likely start grooming you if nothing else, because if they don't, another organization likely will. Go for it.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Talk to someone in the other department or the other department' supervisor off the record before officially applying.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
jc...thanks for your service! Keep in mind that NO ONE except jc is going to look out for jc. Get some forward intel from someone in that department and apply. I started living life some years ago by the mantra, "The answer is ALWAYS 'no' unless you ask".

Good luck in your career!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Some companies have a minimum time requirement in a position before you can transfer to another position in the company. Assuming the company you work for does not have a prohibition against it, I don't see a problem with applying and seeing what happens.

If they saw fit to transfer you to another position or fire you they would not hesitate in doing so. Never forget that.

^^^
Good advise!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see no real issue with you pursuing internal positions. If there is a minimum time in position (my co has one at 1 year) it can be waived. I've seen us do just that for the right candidate.
I always inform my current boss if I apply internal. You don't want them blindsided.

The only word of caution I'd note is if you decide to go external. You can explain 1-2 "short term" positions early on. But, as a hiring manager, I won't even consider someone with a "job hopping" resume. Multiple firms at less than 4-5 years at each. Screams that the person isn't real good at decision making skills if they can't be happy at a company for longer than 4-5 years at a time. A company invests too much training time and costs to take a chance on someone who is looking to get out the door from day one.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
There’s a job opening within the organization but different department that pays better and is more inline with what I went to college for. I’m thinking about applying for it but not sure how it would look.

It would look like you are chasing the American Dream to better yourself.
Do what is in your best interest.
Especially for jobs in the beginning of your career.
Any decent employer will understand that.
GO FOR IT!

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I would go for it. The company will be happy either way as they are retaining your talent.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I'll give you some advice. The best way to increase your salary is to change organizations. Perhaps every 5-7 years. You have much more bargaining power as a potential employee with needed skills, than as an employee.

Wise advice there. I'm filing that one away for strategic use in the future.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are underemployed and this new opening better matches your education and experience, go for it! It isn’t like you are fresh out of college with no life experience, and they can fill your current position again no problem.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you're on top of this but watch how you phrase things to your current boss and to folks in the other department. Saying (or implying) you're underemployed will be viewed dimly. Saying the position looks exciting, appears to be a promotion, and you're qualified based on your education shows you're a go getter. (Don't discuss the pay difference - implied when you say it appears to be a promotion.)

Remember that some jobs are posted but the candidate has already been selected. (I hate when company have required postings.) You want to be careful how you approach any internal job least you accidently damage current relationships.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Be careful.....

Some companies who learn that you want to apply to move from one department to another may consider that tantamount to a resignation while your application is being prepared or considered. Westinghouse Electric had that policy back in the '70s as an example. So if your target department isn't hiring or doesn't take you on, you'd be out of a job. Why? The old department considers you now disinterested in them and a loss risk anyhow so they act preemptively.

Best to look at a different company for a more satisfying position.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice so far.

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Be careful.....

Some companies who learn that you want to apply to move from one department to another may consider that tantamount to a resignation while your application is being prepared or considered. Westinghouse Electric had that policy back in the '70s as an example. So if your target department isn't hiring or doesn't take you on, you'd be out of a job. Why? The old department considers you now disinterested in them and a loss risk anyhow so they act preemptively.

Best to look at a different company for a more satisfying position.

Which is what I might end up doing...

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

And it's near impossible in the private sector to get access to someone's current pay, so most people lie and add several thousand to their current salary as a bargaining chip. (You currently make $50k, you tell them you make $58k, and ask for $65k)

I agree. The days when loyalty and longevity with a company were rewarded is long gone... most don't offer any type of a pension, so if the grass is greener, go.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I was in a situation similar to yours when I got out. I found that the job I took was not really in my wheelhouse and that my strengths were not being used. It was not the companies fault, it just was. A couple months in I ended up hearing about another position opening up while on a smoke break and wanted it.

I went and talked to my boss first. I told him that I enjoyed working for him and enjoyed the position and could see myself doing it for a long time but that I was just really interested in this new position and the product it focused on. It was a new technology for the company which also interested me. I liked the idea of getting in on the ground floor.

He understood and gave me the go ahead so I went for it and got it. I still work for that company today in the same division, although I have got promoted several times.

Bubbatime is correct that typically moving companies is the best way to make more money but it isn't all about the money either. I have been offered some really nice salaries but rarely from a company who I felt could offer me the same stability and work environment. Plus I get a whole lot of vacation time.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post