SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We just bought a log cabin in the mountains (Warning: huge photos)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We just bought a log cabin in the mountains (Warning: huge photos) Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted
To relax & have peace out of town on the weekends. We couldn't be more thrilled. I've been holding off posting it until it was a done deal. This is from last winter:

Current photos of the inside:

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

I adore mountain living, and the mountains in general.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Congratulations!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Very nice congrats on the new vacation home, any plans to change anything did you get the furniture as well?

Posts: 23402 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so jealous !!!

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
HRK, yes we got it as you see it minus a few personal effects & family photos of the previous owner. I may add a wood stove in the future though I'm not wild about cutting a hole in the roof. It's on propane central heat now.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I was going to ask about a wood stove! Looks fantastic!!!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
That's an awesome little get away...congrats. I don't see a chimney does it have a fireplace or wood burning stove?

Doh...guess I need to finish reading post b4 asking questions.

Anyhow, you'll have a lot of fun with that place.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Vinny,
Congratulations on the new place. We have done some looking for a similar up around Cedar City. Is that the vicinity of the new place?

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
where is that?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
In my neck of the Rockies, a cabin, by definition, does not have amenities such as running water or maybe indoor toilet.
But, yours is definitely nice for a weekend away from the madness.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Near Pahrump.

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Very nice. We were in the Kalispell, MT area a couple of weeks ago and I have the bug for a cabin too. It's probably just a pipe dream, but you never know!

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
A wood burning stove would be a nice addition, great that it comes furnished, all you have to do is add your touches to it...

Posts: 23402 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Soweet

Congrats! That's a nice area. Looks like you have a little berm not far away for target practice Big Grin

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Looks mighty peaceful.
My mom lives about 45 minutes north of Vegas, just south of Mesquite, nice with how quiet it is out there.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cookin' with gas, too, I see! That's great!

How far off the beaten path did you manage to get? Will the propane supplier be able to get to you during the winter, or do you have to stock up? Our tank was about 30 feet off the road, so not a problem.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
It's fourteen miles of dirt road off the highway. The last mile or so is private road. The propane truck goes up twice a week in winter. I'll never need that much.

posted Hide Post
I love log structures and love the mountains. After a lot of years doing wildland fire, however, I have two bits of strong counsel: ensure your house is and stays defensible (maintenance). Keep fuels away and have a safe zone to get from the house and off the mountain. Two is better.

Know that it's a temporary structure and that nature will take it back at some point. Plan and finance accordingly.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Congratulations!

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post