SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amtrak train derails in Washington state onto Interstate 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amtrak train derails in Washington state onto Interstate 5 Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
An inaugural ride on Amtrak's new line meant to speed train service in Washington state turned deadly Monday after a train carrying more than 80 people derailed outside of Tacoma — causing several train cars to tumble from an overpass onto an interstate highway, officials said.

"Multiple fatalities" were reported after Amtrak train 501 derailed about 7:30 a.m. along Interstate 5 as it was leaving the new Tacoma station, Pierce County Sheriff's Spokesman Ed Troyer said. He did not specify the number of people killed.

The train was traveling southbound from Seattle when it derailed.

Police previously said several cars were struck by the Amtrak train cars, injuring multiple drivers on the highway. No motorists’ deaths were reported, according to Pierce County officials.

Amtrak said it was "aware of an incident involving Amtrak train 501," its "Cascades" service from Seattle to Portland, Ore. Service heading south of Seattle is temporarily suspended as of 8 a.m.

A highway camera showed at least one train car toppled onto the road, causing a traffic jam. Photos tweeted by Washington State Patrol Public Information Officer Brooke Bova showed one car detached and smashed on the ground. Another car was dangling from the overpass.

Chris Karnes, who was on the train — three or four cars back from the front — told The Associated Press: "I'm not sure what got hit. I'm not sure what happened."

Bova told Fox News' "Happening Now" that people are advised to avoid Interstate 5 and that clearing the area will be an “all day” process.

Chris Kaines, the chair of Pierce Transit's advisory board, said on Twitter "The train has derailed. Emergency crews are on the scene. Massive damage. People are hurt." He said the train appeared to have hit a truck, adding that the car was "destroyed."

The derailment caused all southbound lanes of Interstate 5 near Mounts Road in Pierce County to be closed, the Washington State Department of Transportation tweeted.

WSDOT tweeted that drivers should expect long delays and avoid the area. Southbound Interstate 5 near DuPont was closed shortly after the derailment after traffic backed up for miles.

Monday was the first day of schedule changes to include two new round trips between Seattle and Portland, according to the Amtrak website. Amtrak train 501 is part of the new route running between Portland and Seattle daily. Washington Department of Transportation spent $800 million on passenger train improvement.

The southbound lanes of Interstate 5, which see about 60,000 vehicles per day, are expected to be closed for "an extended period," according to the WSDOT.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...ks-interstate-5.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Chalk up another one for AMTRACK

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Greyhound on rails.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First day on the new route. 77 people transported to hospitals. What a mess.

Amazing that there were no fatalities on the ground but multiple reported on the train. From what I have seen on the TV, 4 train cars are on the freeway with most of those upside down.

Reporting 6 dead.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Ironically, the mayor of nearby Lakewood predicted a major problem with the new route and said he was worried about a serious accident 2 weeks ago. He got a lot of grief for his comments regarding the 800 million dollar project.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Fox is saying at least 6 dead. I'll be amazed if it's not a lot more than that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
What mess is right

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chris Karnes, who was on the train — three or four cars back from the front — told The Associated Press: "I'm not sure what got hit. I'm not sure what happened."

God I love when they add these useless quotes into the story.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:

God I love when they add these useless quotes into the story.

same article -

"A U.S. official who was briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press preliminary signs indicate the Amtrak train may have struck something before going off the tracks."

wait for it - see who claims credit... Even if it was mere incompetence, claiming it was an intentional act will reverberate.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Trains strike shit all the time, from rocks to tractor trailers. It's very rare for that to cause a derailment.

But I get what you're saying though.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who owns the tracks?

Just heard a small news clippette saying Amtrack does not own them

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Who owns the tracks?

I'm not sure that Amtrak owns hardly any track... Last I heard 95% of the tracks they use are leased.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
The city mayor predicted deadly accidents and harm to citizens just two weeks ago today (that article is dated 12/4/17).

He saw it coming.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Who owns the tracks?

I'm not sure that Amtrak owns hardly any track... Last I heard 95% of the tracks they use are leased.

The only place I know that AMTK owns the tracks is the Northeast Corridor. I know this because as one who rides NJ Transit every day, I am on the short stick when AMTK gets priority over NJT.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the NTSB will drop the ball like they did in the May 12th 2015 Amtrak derailment in Philadelphia PA where the engineer "was distracted" by radio chatter so much that he entered a curve at over 100 mph (twice the speed limit)...instead they laid the blame on that section of track not having PTC which would have slowed the train down when the operator didn't do his job, for whatever reason Confused ...the NTSB didn't want to charge that bastard with not doing his job Mad

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With an inaugural ride on a new route, one would think that the proper track and train inspections, test runs and signaling, etc., would all be worked out.

I thought that I read after the last big train accident, that throttle control / train speed was primarily managed automatically by computer, thus reducing the chances of human error.

I wonder if some type of foul play may have contributed to this unfortunate and deadly event. Maybe an extremist environmental group worried about little frogs and such?

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Live coverage from KIRO 7 which includes Tweets from President Trump and Goofener Inslee

What President Trump probably does not understand is that even if the Federal government gave Washington the money to improve the I-5 and I-405 mess, the state would just use it for some elaborate, impractical mass transportation scheme.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
the state would just use it for some elaborate, impractical mass transportation scheme.

You're being very kind. I might have said that the state would just piss it away and then cry for more. You are more gracious than I.

And in the meantime... the local news is carrying a non-stop monologue on this with still very little to update. I truly hope the list of fatalities and serious injuries does not grow.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If this was predictable (by mayor, et al), then criminal negligence charges should be brought on those that are accountable.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
What President Trump probably does not understand is that even if the Federal government gave Washington the money to improve the I-5 and I-405 mess, the state would just use it for some elaborate, impractical mass transportation scheme.

A mass transportation scheme to and from safe heroin injection sites...

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post