SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mace for Wife and 16 year old Daughter.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mace for Wife and 16 year old Daughter. Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
In the county we live in CCW is not easily gotten.

Me it is a folder.

Our town has really gotten bad lately.

Wife had an experience today little uncomfortable at a Target parking lot.

So I am going to order two Mace dispensers real soon. Only quality ones that come to mind is the one Kimber makes. Maybe it is just their ads in the magazine I recall.

What should I get them and from who?

Thanks
Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I know this won't be the thing you wanted to hear.

If you are concerned enough for their safety that you ask (mostly) people you do not personally know on the Internet for life safety recommendations, it is a serious indicator that you need to move from where you are, to a place they you can outfit them, and help them seek adequate training to protect themselves.

And, yes I understand the logistics of careers, property and all of that, but I have never and will never let those things get in front of liberty, freedom and the ability to fend for loved ones and myself.

It is not some BS Internet posting. I seriously have walked away from riches, power, position over the things I believe to be most important.

Your folder and their mace against people who have no concern for life or law and will likely be armed with greater force?

Spend some time soul searching and ask if where you are is worth what you are gambling.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
I've taught Women's Self Defense for a number of years, and am an OC Instructor. I am a very vocal advocate for the ASP Defender series of OC sprays. They are quality and more importantly, the design is one that women will carry. They can be had from Amazon. Here

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
sigmonkey

I agree real heartily. I am 61 and pretty sure to exit here (California) real soon. Our youngest is tenth grade with two years high school left. It is getting to the point I am sure I will not stay at my job until the full S/S Retirement. We don’t own a home in California. I have two 401K’s that should make a 15 year house note somewhere affordable real easy. Have two small pensions.

Nobody is going to hire an old worn out truck mechanic with bad knees. So it may be an auto parts sales counter for me on the exit. Both of us have Medical Needs. We have looked real deep and if it had to happen tomorrow we could make it work.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I hope you are able to find a way to move.

Having been born in Chula Vista, and having a lot of history in SoCal and Vallejo, I am saddened by how it has turned out.

I do wish you all the best in your future and that you find sufficient means to take care of yourselves with the hope that you find a decent place to retire in peace.

One "old mechanic" to another.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I was born in South Central Los Angeles in 1956. 74th St and Hoover Area. 77th precinct LAPD the best.

Seen the flames from the Watts Riot from our front yard as a kid.

A Graduate, (barely) from the Los Angeles Unified School District Gardena High Class of ‘74. My older brother there in ’68.

Been thru the Rodney King Riots then living in Lawndale and working in Gardena Area.

Los Angeles Sheriffs in Lawndale were four to a car with helmets on during the Rodney King Riots.

I think Vallejo is still ok. But the Girls are getting worried.

Sig Monkey, I have probably seen you at OCIR, Irwindale, Lyons, and Riverside. Probably maybe even Ascot Park in Gardena. Those were the days.

Thanks Again.

One Old Mechanic to another. Wink

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Sigmonkey, as always, is wise. I hope you manage the move sooner rather than later, and that you have a great retirement. Smile

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not just getting mace but giving them the tools to avoid using the mace. Get them some real personal protection training, situational awareness etc.

NRA, Gun store- lots of places with women giving the courses.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Most of the OC (not mace) threads wind up with two clear recommendations from the forum's LEOs:
  • Fox Labs - Here is the keychain version of their police strength
  • Sabre Red - Here is the keychain version of their police strength and it includes an inert can for practice

If you're going to carry OC spray then you should carry Sudecon decontamination wipes since it may blowback on the good guy/gal

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    In the yahd, not too
    fah from the cah
    Picture of ryan81986
    posted Hide Post
    Vexor is the hottest stuff on the market at 15mil SHUs. They make civilian OC containers as well as LE.

http://corp.zarc.com/PersonalPepperSpray

Posts: 6346 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have 4 oz. cans of Fox 5.3 in our cars, and 3 oz. cans of same for carry use.

Fox recommends replacement every three or maybe five years, not because the pepper solution goes bad, but due the propellent losing its energy.

Anyway, I recently purchased the above to replace at least five year old Fox product that I have.

Curious about this, I tested one of the old three oz canisters, and the stream came out strong and went about 8' feet out.

With no wind blowing and holding the can out at arms length and no felt residual overspray on me, my eyes, nostrils and lips felt a decent burn soon thereafter. I actually had to splash some milk on my face to cool things down.

Best wishes for safety for you and your family.

Rob

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    You might check out Damsel in Defense. They have some good stuff.

Posts: 9 | Location: Centerton AR | Registered: May 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of HayesGreener
    posted Hide Post
    I have given the Kimber Pepper Blaster II to my daughter and other family members. More accurate, better range than the little keychain aerosols

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
    Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ontmark:

Me it is a folder.

So I am going to order two Mace dispensers real soon. Only quality ones that come to mind is the one Kimber makes. Maybe it is just their ads in the magazine I recall.

Thanks
    Roy

If the Kimber is the one I'm thinking of it looks too much like a hand gun to suit me. I'd go with one of the other recommendations.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of HayesGreener
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Powers77:
    quote:
    Originally posted by ontmark:

Me it is a folder.

Thanks
    Roy

If the Kimber is the one I'm thinking of it looks too much like a hand gun to suit me. I'd go with one of the other recommendations.

yes they make one that looks a little like a handgun and they make another that is just a rectangular box

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
    Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    eh-TEE-oh-clez
    Picture of Aeteocles
    posted Hide Post

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Doin' what I can
    with what I got
    Picture of Rob Decker
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Aeteocles:
    Taser.

https://buy.taser.com/taser-bolt/

Depending on the jurisdiction those can be LE only or treated as deadly force. FYSA.

----------------------------------------
    Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    eh-TEE-oh-clez
    Picture of Aeteocles
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rob Decker:
    Depending on the jurisdiction those can be LE only or treated as deadly force. FYSA.

Yup, good idea to know your local laws. Personally, I wouldn't Tase, spray, hit, or shoot anyone unless it's escalating quickly to "lawful self defense".

Spray someone in the face for mouthing off to you and you'll likely be civilly liable for him stumbling into the street and getting hit by a car.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get on the fifty!
    Picture of Andyb
    posted Hide Post

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Music's over turn
    out the lights
    Picture of David W
    posted Hide Post
    My wife doesn't like to carry to places that have signs, me, I blow right by them. So, I ordered her a can of the Sabre that has the practice canister so she can give it a try and get used to it.

Thanks guys!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post