SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The future of SIGforum
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The future of SIGforum Login/Join 
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I don’t think we should count on any change in management here for some time to come.
You guys remember Para’s “What if we could live our life over?” Thread?
We’re about to see Para doing just that.

This is tremendous insight.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thanks for keeping us informed. I started with another firearms related forum in 1999. I became the moderator of a sub-forum within the larger entity. It was bought out, just as para described, by one of those media entities trolling the web looking to make a dime (and sell advertising). The whole nature of the forum changed and I left, several years ago now. There’s no doubt that most members recognize the value of what we have here. Never forget.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Hate to think the time will come but it is inevitable.

Thanks for what you guys do, and for making plans to keep it going even when we are all gone.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I don’t think we should count on any change in management here for some time to come.
You guys remember Para’s “What if we could live our life over?” Thread?
We’re about to see Para doing just that.
This is tremendous insight.
I have this technique I use to ward off nostalgia that I call My Own Personal Time Machine. It works like this: Project yourself into the future. That is to say, imagine yourself years from now, looking back on yourself at this present moment. In this way, one can be present in the past, by imagining now as being the past. It's kind of an odd idea, but it works to help me appreciate today as I might appreciate it when I look back at today, years from now.

Today, I heard the name 'Art Buchwald' mentioned on TV- Antiques Roadshow, I think. I said "Art Buchwald? That's a name I haven't heard in many years." He was a political satirist, and if you've never read his work, you are missing out, because he was funny as all get-out. I punched his name into a search engine, came across a site with some of his quotes and I'll be damned if he didn't have the very same idea about dealing with nostalgia as I. Now, this concept of MOPTM is something I've held for years and I came up with it on my own, but Buchwld matches my concept almost exactly.
quote:
We seem to be going through a period of nostalgia, and everyone seems to think yesterday was better than today. I don't think it was, and I would advise you not to wait ten years before admitting today was great. If you're hung up on nostalgia, pretend today is yesterday and just go out and have one hell of a time.
That's so cool. To be clear, this is not something I heard Buchwald say and then adopted it as my own. This is parallel development of a concept.

The problem, though, is that if you think you've run out of road, your time machine ceases to function, because in order to think of the present as the past, you have to be confident that you'll be here in the future. Take a few ticks to wrap your mind around that.

Well, the docs and nurses have repaired my time machine and here I stumble onto this quote today. It's nothing spooky; it's merely coincidence, but it makes me smile.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous." - Albert Einstein

For what it's worth, and all that.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I would have thought the Picasso drawing would be worth more.
But yeah, Art Buchwald. He was actually funny, unlike Herblock.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, you saw that? Yeah, I think that was the segment where the appraiser mentioned Buchwald.

quote:
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it.
quote:
The best things in life aren't things.
quote:
Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.
quote:
An economist is a man who knows a hundred ways of making love but doesn't know any women.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Best Wishes for a Healthy Future.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I don’t post often but do keep a browser window to the forum open constantly and enjoy the escape and camaraderie SIGforum offers multiple times a day. Based on how I’ve seen you run the forum over the years I know you didn’t post this update to receive praise from the members but thank you (and LBJ, LDD) anyway. It’s very clear that you genuinely care about the quality of the forum and have invested many, many hours in its stewardship.

Best regards,

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para, lbj and crew. Thank you very much for being a truly great place. A calm port in a storm.

I don't have the words, to express how much this place "feels like home ".

The people of this forum are helpful and knowledgeable about just about everything. I learn new stuff all of the time.

Thank you all for the hard work, SIGforum has been a bright spot in some troubled times for me.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Para. This is my home. No place I'd rather be.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thank you for ensuring the future of the forum.

As someone else said so well, this is a place to come for advice on just about anything, share your deepest fears and problems, and not be met with heckling or trolling by some little freak with a hard on for causing trouble.

It is a unique place, and I do value it, come for advice, occasionally comment, but mostly read and learn.

Thank you.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Wow, I got kind of busy at work and missed this whole thing. I've always appreciated how you've wholeheartedly defended this place from all the troublemakers.

I am not sure that I've had many conversations with LDD over the nearly 20 years I've been here but I know that I can trust parabellum's choice. parabellum, I hope you're well.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para, LBJ and LDD. Enjoy the forum and appreciate the way its moderated. Hope each of you enjoy many more good years on this earth.

Eric aka Hangtime

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Thank you for all that. As others have said, it is a relief.

When I read about your health problems, my immediate (second) thought was about the forum, and your thoughts and concerns about its future are simply further confirmation of how fortunate all the members here are to have you running it.

I could not said it as well!!!

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para for letting everyone know about future of Sigforum.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Mike, I hope to spend many, many years chatting with you on this forum.

Thank you for planning ahead to give us our little piece of sanity on the internet after you are gone.

Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for thinking it though and getting it organized Para.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Long a Buchwald fan, thank you! That made me smile. ...morituri te salutamus...

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
OO-RAH!

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post