SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The future of SIGforum
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The future of SIGforum Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
LDD thank you for picking up the reins.

Para, best wishes on your recovery and thank you for this wonderful board.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Long live SIGforum.

I echo this sentiment. Thank you, Para, lbj, and LDD for your long-running ownership and leadership of a truly unique and independent destination on the Web.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I love it when a plan comes together.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Not that it matters in the least...but I've never once thought of continuation procedures for the forum! We get used to things and people become institutions that we think will always be.
We sometimes forget that behind these avatars/usernames, there are very real people with very real lives.

Thanks for sharing a hope-filled message of how the future of the forum is in good hands.

Thanks to LDD for stepping up to the challenge!

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've received a couple of emails graciously offering to assist LDD with the purchase of the forum if and when it becomes necessary, so I wish to clarify the matter of his future ownership. I suppose it's true that a forum such as this might be worth a pretty penny, but I will never know its actual monetary value (many years ago, after receiving a third solicitation from someone wishing to purchase the forum, I finally got the point across to them by stating that they coud have it for $645,000 USD and a speed boat).

Members shouldn't be concerned about the transition of the forum. There may be a legal trust established for this transition, or there may be a sale of the forum to LDD for the sum of one dollar to satisfy legal technicalities- this will be worked out in the near future. Other than that, the forum is being given to him. LDD has long since earned this ownership with his dedication to the forum, his excellent articles posted in the forum, and his trips to SHOT and his most excellent coverage thereof.

Now, what LDD will need assistance with are the monthly bandwidth fees. He will provide the details to you when that time comes, which, as we all hope, will be years from now.

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
...and a speed boat. Nice touch!

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect that if financial help is ever needed the members of this Forum will do what they always do, when asked for help----They Stand Up as I will and pledge all they can to keep this wonderful place going.

Prayers for good things to come for both Para and SigForum!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I suspect that if financial help is ever needed the members of this Forum will do what they always do, when asked for help
Without any doubt in my mind, I know this is true, and it is a great comfort to know that many of you love this place enough to make sure it never disappears.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Were you being facetious about the speed boat? Big Grin

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
IIRC, I beleive I asked for a "really nice" speed boat.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I suspect that if financial help is ever needed the members of this Forum will do what they always do, when asked for help----They Stand Up as I will and pledge all they can to keep this wonderful place going.

Prayers for good things to come for both Para and SigForum!!!

Couldn't have said it any better, except to quote Spock: "Live long and prosper!" Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don’t mind me asking, knowing less than nothing about running a forum and being more of running my mouth kind of guy, do bandwidth fees get paid to the cable company, like Comcast? Is it like a cell phone where big months you have to pay overages? Would it help LDD if we started chipping in early? Hate for the lights to go out because a bill was missed.

Stupid questions but I never gave the cost of running a forum the slightest bit of thought before you brought it up. Stupid I know.

If it’s none of our business please disregard.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nothing needs to be done. The forum will not go offline when I die. It may very well be that I have to ask you guys to kick in at some point in the not too distant future, but you needn't worry that the forum will disappear suddenly. If we get in a bind, I will let you know.

posted Hide Post
Asking for a speedboat must have been a really long time ago. There have been numerous people here advising others to not get a boat recently.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Roger. Wilco.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I am really glad to see that you have a continuity plan in place.

You have over 20 years into this place and I know you mentioned you had owned other forums previously.
It takes a lot of dedication and a vision to build a place like this and for that I am thankful that you have done so.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Para, I know I; like many others here would be more than willing to chip in to help you cover bandwidth costs. I'd even do a monthly or yearly subscription if it were needed and if there was a way to do it. God knows I've received more than any amount you might ask worth of free advice and other information from this forum over the years.

I'm sure it may be a tough thing to try and ask, especially with as many years as the forum has gone without but it's not something you really should have to shoulder, especially with things going on that you have mentioned both here and in past threads. We're all behind you and always will be, just remember that.

Posts: 6348 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
IIRC, I beleive I asked for a "really nice" speed boat.

Something like this maybe. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The forum will not go offline when I die. It may very well be that I have to ask you guys to kick in at some point in the not too distant future,

by Para

December 24 th sounds like a great date.
it's a Thursday.

Just in time for the New Year .

It's good for me any way ,
I will pencil it in Wink

now is a great time to start saving up ,
any later and the whole holiday jazz will be getting in the way .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
LOL, a really nice speed boat.

Remember that lines from Smokey and The Bandit.
"A fast car. Faster. Even faster." or something like that?

A VSV ...

Okay, enough speculation.

Like many here, I will be ready and able to assist in future events.

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post