SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time to refresh the screened in deck. Suggestions on supplies and materials.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to refresh the screened in deck. Suggestions on supplies and materials. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Screen is ripped in a few places and stretched out everywhere else.
I am going to pull the railings restain the wood then put up new screen.

So first things first.
What is the best way to strip/prep the wood. The majority of the wood is in decent shape since it is covered.
A few stair board will be replaced. I have read power washing is bad and I have heard it is not.
So what should a do to get the wood ready for new stain??
I have a power washer and 15” surface cleaner attachment if needed.

I am going to spray the stain as the rails have tons on spindles.
What stain and what sprayer (I have a very good compressor).

What are good drill bits for drilling out nails and screws. I foresee having to drill out some nails and screws to get the railings off.

What is a good replacement screen. I’d like it to be pretty durable so critters don’t chew through it (if that is possible) and would like it to keep out as much dust and pollen as possible.

Not looking forward to this job but needs to be done.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
This tool saved my ass when I had to take apart our lower screened patio to get a hot tub in there. I bought some Bosch metal cutters for it, cut through the nails like butta

https://www.ryobitools.com/pro...ulti-tool-attachment

I will be following this thread as I have to do some of the same work on our decks and patios.

BTW, I also bought an angle drill head for it, I know I will need it someday. Ridgid brand stuff fits as well

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Excellent tool suggestion.
I was figuring I would have to drill because I don’t think I could get the reciprocating saw blade on there flat enough due to post spacing without tearing up the wood which I don’t want to do.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Timely thread, my new house has an amazing patio area that is framed for screens but no screens. All the screens will need to be custom made as they are large 81" tall x 42" wide.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
As far as stripping the wood, it depends what is in it. You said restaining, so I’m assuming it’s a lacquer or something similar.
If that’s the case I would use TSP. It works really well at stripping/cleaning wood, provided the finish isn’t super thick.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
As for screen I like the fiberglass type. I buy a roll of 48" wide that covers mine with enough left over for a couple extra pieces.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what is it stained with now? That will determine best way to remove.
Power wash with the widest-angle that will get the job done. I have an 1800psi electric & the 40* nozzle didn't do shit to cabot stain after using TSP & stripper. 25* didnt do much, 15* worked, but was too slow 4000psi gas & 40* worked great.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
No clue it was on when I got here.
The covered portions aren’t bad. The exposed parts aren’t so good. Just want to keep them close.

Pardon the mess.

————————————————