SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Audio Geeks: Your Input, Please?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Audio Geeks: Your Input, Please? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Stopped by another highly-rated car audio (and other stuff) place today.

By the time he added-up Panasonic AVH-X391BHS unit, adaptor/harness and other cruft, a pair of Alpine SPS-610 speakers, Crimestopper camera and labour, we were up to $1040, before taxes. Taxes would be another $45. So close to $1100.

That seems more in line with what I would have expected.

I don't know if that's gonna happen.

I'll see what the body shop has to say about the body work I want done. If that comes in low enough: It might still be do-able.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Wish I was closer. I would gladly do the install for you. Shopping around we could have you done in the 6-700 ballpark.
I have done all my vehicles except the 2 newest. The wife's Highlander has the factory JBL system and it is about perfect. I wish I would have looked a bit more for a Sienna with the JBL upgrade. It is a little anemic. But I am going to swap out the main door 6x9s and add a subwoofer as it is lacking on the low end.
I am literally in the middle of a full install in my truck. Just did New head unit, 4 speakers, and am running the backup camera wires now.
My video cable is about 5' short only made it to the rear axle and with all the Radio Shacks out of business I am having trouble sourcing weatherproof splice connectors to wire the camera into my reverse light.

Hard part is done getting the wires behind the dash out of the truck, luckily on the Silverado there is a grommet in the floor pan that is easy to get to. Ran my loomed video cable and reverse trigger on the stereo along the frame and zipped tied it to some factory loom.
Made it to the rear axle and ran out of video cable.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks to this thread and honestlou, I got a great deal on some aftermarket speakers from Crutchfield to soup up my system.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I may try it, myself, after all.

Visited a body shop earlier today. Prognosis for my poor TrailBlazer is Not Good Frown.

The rust on some or all of the bottom and trailing edges of the four doors is probably bad enough that wiring or blasting it off would leave little or no flange. That wasn't the worst news, though. The worst news is the guy spotted something I'd missed: Paint's beginning to bubble in the aft lower corner of the passenger side front door.

Bottom line: Truck's toast Frown

As such: Makes no sense whatsoever to spend thousands of $$$ on body work, replacement glass or electronics.

I'm going to get a second opinion, but, I don't expect to hear anything different.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
All of my aftermarket head units have been Pioneer.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Got the 2nd opinion. Essentially same as the first. So that's it for my TrailBlazer: I'll be spending no money on it.

Shame. Right now it's still a sharp-looking truck, but, it's days are numbered.

Thanks for the help everybody! To bad it's gone for naught--at least for my purposes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Got the 2nd opinion. Essentially same as the first. So that's it for my TrailBlazer: I'll be spending no money on it.

Shame. Right now it's still a sharp-looking truck, but, it's days are numbered.

Thanks for the help everybody! To bad it's gone for naught--at least for my purposes.

Now you can put that money and planned upgrades towards something else that has been gently used during it's life and maybe rust free. Maybe looking into something that has lived it's life in the South away from snow and salt. It'd be worth the extra cost of shipping to avoid the problems that seem to plague older vehicles that are under attack from salted roads.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post