SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Audio Geeks: Your Input, Please?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Audio Geeks: Your Input, Please? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Went out and got the love of my life a new ride, today, as her old ride died. Talking about it, on the way back from the dealership, I allowed as how I was perfectly happy with my 2007 TrailBlazer. Get the paint dings/scrapes fixed up (bumpers and back hatch), see if the body shop can stop what is currently just surface rust on the inside of some of the door edges, get the back window replaced (half the defroster wires are dead), get it a new radio and I'm GTG.

Probably $3k worth of parts, materials and labour, in all. Maybe a bit more.

So, just out of curiosity's sake, stopped at a car audio place on the way home. Quoted a "basic" Sony unit with DVD player (for playing CDs), backup camera and two new rear speakers. (One is currently dead.) $580, installed. Do-able.

Looked up the unit on-line. Gets very poor reviews on Amazon. In fact: Looks like most all of the Sony line does. What appears to get the best reviews, in about the same price range, are Kenwood and Pioneer.

Don't need navigation. Would like CarPlay, but not at an additional couple hundred $$$. BT speaker phone capability would be sufficient. Mainly want better sound and a backup camera.

So, what say the experts? Who generally makes the best car audio units?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Crutchfield is a great resource both online and by phone.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I always liked Alpine and Clarion. I installed one of each in my wife and I's 1999 and 2002 Grand Prix back in the day. I think I also put in new rear 6x9s on my car. I haven't looked at current offerings in quite awhile, but one thing to think about is most aftermarket radios are much slimmer than the room GM has for their radio. So, you end up with this adapter kit that fills in the rest of the area. Some companies make larger radios that take up the whole space.

I miss but I don't miss messing around with these. My Grand Prix had the steering wheel controls, so I even had a doohicky that would take the signals from the steering wheel and replicate them as a remote control signal that was sent to the radio from a little box and IR light behind my gearshift in my console. I think aftermarket car audio will eventually become extinct as more and more manufacturers incorporate everything into their stock units.

Posts: 2513 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Alpine is nice, but the blue light is too overwhelming, even properly tied into the dimmer switch.

I'm a big fan of Kenwood head units, but the last time I REALLY did over a car stereo the only thing I left stock were some of the screws and speaker grills. Ended up with about 3000 watts and 31 speakers in a first-generation Eagle Talon (Mitsubishi Eclipse). No, I cannot hear some frequencies anymore Smile. Ran stereo as a separate circuit from all other electronics- including own alternator, battery, capacitor, fuse distribution blocks, etc.

SONY is pretty much the Ruger semi-auto line of car audio. Kinda clunky, fairly user-friendly, not the bestest or the fanciest, but they'll get the job done.

I'd definitely call Crutchfield- car stereos at the "just replacing parts" stage are pretty much plug-and-play. Most heads slide out with the removal of the dash trim and four screws. Crutchfield includes the wiring harnesses you need- they are AMAZING to deal with. Tell them what you drive, what bits you want to replace, and ballpark budget- they'll hook you up.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
That's my business, and I sell mostly Pioneer. Because of reliability, ease of use, and functionality. If you want CarPlay, sit tight a few weeks, as Pioneer has some lower priced NEX units that have CarPlay that will be shipping in a week or two. And the newer NEX units will have Waze functionality too.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I have a Pioneer 4100 NEX. It has CarPlay. I can take, or leave, that feature. If Apple would support Waze in the CarPlay ecosystem, I'd be happier.

I went through Crutchfield and took full advantage of their 60-day no-hassle returns. I bought a Kenwood unit first, and though I thoroughly LOVE their single-DIN units, their CarPlay unit was crap. The Pioneer 4100 NEX is a strong unit, and I'd recommend it, or whatever the 2017 equivalent is.

Word of advice: if you go CarPlay, make sure all your "stuff" is in all the official Apple apps: Music, Podcasts, etc. If you use Podcast Addict, or something else, your are only going to be able to hear your stuff through the basic Apple app.

CarPlay also makes it more difficult to switch between audio sources. For example, I have an iPod hooked up to the NEX unit. I need to be in the NEX interface to use that iPod. To make a phone call, I need to swap back to CarPlay. It's definitely a first-world problem, and not insurmountable, it's just a few presses, screens, and a minor delay.

Honestly, the single-DIN market is so fully-developed at this time, if I had a do-over, I'd probably just get another Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998 and call it a day. The programming and setting interfaces are clunky as heck, but the ease of use once it is programmed, is far better than the 4100 NEX. I was able to Bluetooth my podcasts and music, switch seamlessly to my iPod, and phone calls were no issue. Might look hard at the Excelon DPX792BH, if I absolutely needed double-DIN.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's my business, and I sell mostly Pioneer. Because of reliability, ease of use, and functionality. If you want CarPlay, sit tight a few weeks, as Pioneer has some lower priced NEX units that have CarPlay that will be shipping in a week or two. And the newer NEX units will have Waze functionality too.

There is the word you and I have been waiting for. Lower priced NEX units. The lower priced ones don't have navigation, you use your iPhone for that (even though inferior to Google maps). If they have WAZE, even better.

When they come out, I'm getting one for my wife's van, and add bluetooth phone, backup camera, dashcam video and voice control. A 2006 Odyssey with 2018 electronics. Perfect.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
To start with: I've no clue what "single DIN" and "double DIN" even means.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Ah, got it. Vertical size. Yeah: Need double.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's a nex unit?

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
That's my business, and I sell mostly Pioneer. Because of reliability, ease of use, and functionality.

What I was looking at was, for example, the Pioneer AVH-290BT, Kenwood DDX374BT, or similar.

quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
If you want CarPlay, sit tight a few weeks, as Pioneer has some lower priced NEX units that have CarPlay that will be shipping in a week or two.

I'm not in a hurry, but, I'm not certain I want CarPlay, either. Mainly I seem to hear a lot of complaints about how CarPlay frustrates the hell out of people.

(Looks...)

Might be good for navigation. (I don't use Waze, so I'm not worried about that.) Have almost no music on my phone because, unless you have a MS-Win or Mac computer: There's no way to get your music into iTunes. (Surprised the hell out of me, I tell ya whut.)

quote:
Originally posted by cheni:
What's a nex unit?

Pioneer unveils NEX, its Networked Entertainment eXperience with five new in-car receivers

Looking at prices: Way more expensive than I plan on going.

I don't need things like calendar and photos on my freakin' car radio fer crissakes.

I want:

• A decent receiver with decent audio that doesn't take a Master's Degree in Car Audio to operate while driving the car
  • Back-up camera support
  • Optical disk player or, alternatively, a USB port (that isn't sticking out of the head unit) with which to play MP3s (and, hopefully, better formats)
  • Full support for all the audio cruft the factory radio does (door chimes, OnStar, etc.)
  • Bluetooth connectivity so I can use it as a speaker phone a plus

Anything more than that is nice, but, not strictly necessary.

Banned
posted Hide Post
Pioneer, Alpine, Clarion, and Kenwood are good, the higher end Panasonic head units are probably the most reliable out there period, but don't sound as good as the best ones do. Best sounding head unit I have ever owned was a JVC that was the next to the top of the line. It sounded great, best FM tuner I've ever used. It had one fatal flaw though, it was super touchy about voltage spikes or surges, and would totally need a hard reset about once a month. Putting all the settings back in was a major hassle and so I ended up selling it. A friend works at a car stereo place and says it's rare any Panasonic stuff comes back, ever. When it's replaced, it's old, or someone damaged it when they tried to steal it. I have what is called "Sound Group II" on my car with a fairly powerful amp and subwoofer, and I've kept the factory head unit, along with the factory amps, which are plenty loud, but I have upgraded the dash speakers. The stock ones are pretty rough sounding, and a couple of hundred bucks to upgrade them to JL 3.5" drop ins along with some sound deadening (If you can swing it, I HIGHLY recommend it) in the dash and doors, and it sounds much better than it originally did. I did lose a slight amount of output due to the slightly less efficient speakers and sound treatment, but it's nice and smooth now, and the difference is obvious.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Go to www.crutchfield.com
Use their chat help section and ask. They will tell you what model folks have had the best luck with what you are looking paired with your specific vehicle.
Plus when you buy from them they provide all the required build sheets for install. Also a nice discount on all the gear and accessories.

If you do not need an optical drive and CarPlay I would go with the following Pioneer.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_....html?tp=20217&avf=Y
Looks like the harness to retain your OnStar and all the like is about $80.

You'll also want this little bugger so you don't have to bother wiring into the parking brake (that is for the Pioneer each brand model tends to use a different one)
https://www.amazon.com/MicroBy...eivers/dp/B00A9AQPUU

Or if you want an optical drive

I have an Alpine media (no disc unit) that I like a lot. It was silly cheap on clearance and did not miss the Disc at all. Just put everything on a USB drive or streamed from the phone.

$580 seems really cheap for the install of a head unit, backup camera, and speakers if they are using a harness that will allow for use of all factory features.

You will need to check the headunit size as your vehicle has a bracket in the rear of the dash that won't allow the use of deeper units without cutting the bracket.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2010Challenger:
Pioneer, Alpine, Clarion, and Kenwood are good, the higher end Panasonic head units are probably the most reliable out there period, but don't sound as good as the best ones do.

Thanks 2010Challenger. I think I'm narrowing it down to Pioneer.

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Go to www.crutchfield.com
Use their chat help section and ask. They will tell you what model folks have had the best luck with what you are looking paired with your specific vehicle.

Since I plan to use a local shop from which to buy and have installed, I'm disinclined to spend their time. But, thanks for the hint.

The reason I'm having it done is, while I'm in pretty good shape for my age, my body simply does not tolerate well the contortions required to do this kind of thing, any more. "Back in the day" I would've never considered having somebody else do this kind of thing for me.

quote:
If you do not need an optical drive and CarPlay I would go with the following Pioneer.
Looks like the harness to retain your OnStar and all the like is about $80.

Or if you want an optical drive

Model numbers noted. Thanks.

quote:
You'll also want this little bugger so you don't have to bother wiring into the parking brake (that is for the Pioneer each brand model tends to use a different one)

That's to allow it to play DVDs or other video streaming content, no?

I would've thought the vehicle being in "Park" would be sufficient? (Which, if it's wired into the vehicle's data bus, I would think it could tell w/o add'l sensors?)

Noted, anyway. Will discuss with whomever I choose to do the job.

quote:
$580 seems really cheap for the install of a head unit, backup camera, and speakers if they are using a harness that will allow for use of all factory features.

I was surprised by the number, too. (It's only the two rear speakers, btw, and that because the driver's side rear is dead.)

No matter. The guy has only Sony in double DIN units, anyway, and they seem to pretty universally rate poorly, so he's out. Luckily there's another very well-reviewed car audio place nearby.

quote:
You will need to check the headunit size as your vehicle has a bracket in the rear of the dash that won't allow the use of deeper units without cutting the bracket.

I actually came up with exactly the same two Pioneer units you recommended by entering my year and model, then scrolling down the list Crutchfield coughed-up, sorted by customer rating, looking at Pioneer.

The two are identical in all respects, save the latter one has an optical media player. I'll probably go with the latter, because I have the CDs.

They both have the green "Fits" check mark, so no modification required.

Thanks, everybody! Once again the SF Oracle comes through Smile

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I suggest you spend a few more dollars and go with the Pioneer AVH-X390BS. It is a much better sounding unit, has a 13 band EQ instead of 5 band, and comes with a remote control. It has some other features that might make a big difference to you, like the Pandora interface and others.

The 290 series are certainly better than factory head units, but they are decidedly stripped down units designed to hit a price point, and are not nearly as good as the 390 series. They will work, and give you a backup camera input and BT. But you get a LOT more radio for not much more money if you go the 390.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Noted, honestlou. Thanks for the input!

(But, creeping incrementalism: Went from $190, to $250, to $300 - just like that...)

While I've got y'alls attention: Anything I should be looking for, or avoiding, in particular, wrt the backup camera?

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I sell and recommend an Audiovox camera, actually branded Advent, model cam335 with a license plate mount(mount goes behind the license plate-all you see is the cube). It's a small cube camera, good image, and has a 3 year warranty. It is hardwired- I wouldn't recommend anything wireless. And it has several different line grids that you can choose from, or leave off completely. The lines can be programmed easily without having to get to the camera physically.

You don't need LED lights or anything extra on the camera. Just your reverse lights are all the illumination you need to clearly see what's behind you. There are some cheaper cameras, ie Rydeen, that are probably okay, but not as good. And there are more expensive cameras that don't really do anything else for you. You're not filming your masterpiece; you just want to see what's behind you.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That's what I was looking for. Thanks, again, honestlou!

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

quote:

That's to allow it to play DVDs or other video streaming content, no?

I would've thought the vehicle being in "Park" would be sufficient? (Which, if it's wired into the vehicle's data bus, I would think it could tell w/o add'l sensors?)

Noted, anyway. Will discuss with whomever I choose to do the install

Thanks, everybody! Once again the SF Oracle comes through Smile

Yes, it is designed to allow video playback and other features that may be locked out when the parking brake is not engaged.

Though the added benefit it saves trying to locate your brake sensor and running a wire to it. That just gets put on the reverse wire on the rear of the unit and no wires needed to go anywhere.
Generally saves a bunch of install time but since you are having the pros do it may not really matter unless you want the video capability while driving.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
... unless you want the video capability while driving.

I don't really care about video capability at all, except for the backup camera. Can't see myself sitting in the TrailBlazer watching videos of any kind.

(I'd want it to work, anyway, since it has the capability, but, I'd likely [almost] never use it.)

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Carplay is awesome for me. Plug the phone in, then I don't deal with it again until it's time to get out. Works very well. Siri does everything and I can focus on the road. When I first used it I didn't think it was a big deal. Left it alone for a month or so. Then started using it again, and I can do everything I need via Siri or touching the screen. Phone is plugged in and hidden away. Especially good when people text. She reads the text, asks if you want to reply, etc. I use pandora or my own tracks in the ipod portion of the phone for music.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post