SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vultures are protected????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vultures are protected???? Login/Join 
posted
Glad I do not have this problem. Certainly there has to be a solution here. Any thoughts?

http://wgntv.com/2017/04/28/pa...s-roost-near-school/

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
They're just circling the rotting corpse of Petersburg.

But the parents could use a little education. They may be creepy and such, but vultures don't attack living creatures.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any migratory bird is protected by Federal Law.

I am glad they have never roosted near me.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Some years back, when I lived in Albany, NY, I had a flock of 20,000 crows living in the trees above my house. The number seems ridiculous, but they were counted by the state and it was confirmed.

Anywho, when I suggested that I'd just start shooting the bastards, a fella at the local Dick's said, "Oh you can't do that, they're "protected"".

WTF? Crows? Protected?

I killed the shit out of them until the flock decided it would be better to roost elsewhere.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
They're just circling the rotting corpse of Petersburg.

But the parents could use a little education. They may be creepy and such, but vultures don't attack living creatures.

Those are Black Vultures and yes,they will attack small living creatures such as newborn calves. The Turkey Vulture on the other hand only eats carrion.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I don't see why they would be.

Law schools are churning them out all the time.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Crows are unprotected about 4 months out of the year here, no limit.

All birds of prey are protected and have no oppen seasons.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course vultures are protected. Aren't legislators mostly attorneys?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those are Black Vultures and yes,they will attack small living creatures such as newborn calves.

Buzzards are problems for dairy and other cattle farmers because a buzzard will peck at a uterine prolapse when the cow is down after calving, and subsequently kill the cow.

Dairy farmers in Mississippi would consider them fair game - over twenty years ago. Also, sometimes dairy farmers would trap them in a huge baited wire trap, they would dispatch them with shotguns.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I live less than a mile from a regional landfill. We have a vulture problem from time to time. The smaller, more aggressive "Mexican vulture" will absolutely attack small helpless or injured animals. Myself and neighbors have lost newborn calves and "downed" cattle that might have otherwise been saved.

There are some "depredation" allowances, and there is a permit to be had from Austin....

For the most part, they don't bother my longhorns.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hudr,

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
For me, it's a treat seeing black vultures when I visit TX. Only turkey vultures around here.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
There are some "depredation" allowances, and there is a permit to be had from Austin....

MD has (or used to have) a depredation exception for crows, for farmers only if the crows were depredating their crops. They could only shoot them on their property. My wife used to enforce hunting regs on park property in Montgomery County MD. She once cited a group of hunters calling in and shooting crows in her jurisdiction, but they were right next to a farm.

No crows here in AZ, that I have seen. But we have plenty of ravens, turkey vultures, and all kinds of raptors. The GHO's will often sit on the peak of our roof and hoot at 3am. Really cool to hear.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post