SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thought of the Day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thought of the Day Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
I splurged and recently acquired "The Complete Story of Civilization" by Will and Ariel Durant after using one of his quotes as QOTD.

I've made it through Volume 1, "Our Oriental Heritage" and am plowing through Volume 2, "The Life of Greece." Here I encountered this:

quote:
The life of thought endangers every civilization that it adorns. In the earlier stages of a nation’s history there is little thought; action flourishes; men are direct, uninhibited, frankly pugnacious and sexual. As civilization develops, as customs, institutions, laws, and morals more and more restrict the operation of natural impulses, action gives way to thought, achievement to imagination, directness to subtlety, expression to concealment, cruelty to sympathy, belief to doubt; the unity of character common to animals and primitive men passes away; behavior becomes fragmentary and hesitant, conscious and calculating; the willingness to fight subsides into a disposition to infinite argument. Few nations have been able to reach intellectual refinement and esthetic sensitivity without sacrificing so much in virility and unity that their wealth presents an irresistible temptation to impecunious barbarians.

Around every Rome hover the Gauls; around every Athens some Macedon.

This work by the Durants is 11 Volumes, more than 11,000 pages, some of it stupifyingly dull, but much of it fascinating, and every now and then, some real gems.

"The only thing new in the workd is history you din't know." Harry S. Truman

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Douglas Adams put it this way:

quote:
“The History of every major Galactic Civilization tends to pass through three distinct and recognizable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and Sophistication, otherwise known as the How, Why, and Where phases. For instance, the first phase is characterized by the question 'How can we eat?' the second by the question 'Why do we eat?' and the third by the question 'Where shall we have lunch?”

This is, of course, in his "Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy" which is anything but stupifyingly dull, albeit without much in the way of actual history.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JALLEN: I am glad you are enjoying it. He has many delightful quotes scattered throughout. I learned something new in every volume.

Posts: 201 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Once a nation gets soft and comfy, it will lose. It may not be immediately but it is clearly apparent throughout history. I've been recently delving into pirate history and how did the world finally squash (the majority) of it? Through brute force. Hanging pirate after pirate destroying ship after ship. There were no negotiations and pardons didnt last long.

Struggle bears the greatest fruit in nature. There are millions of examples, two off the top of my head are tobacco and wine. Some of the best grapes and tobacco are grown in places that they shouldnt, the struggle brings out the best in them.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Struggle bears the greatest fruit in nature. There are millions of examples, two off the top of my head are tobacco and wine. Some of the best grapes and tobacco are grown in places that they shouldnt, the struggle brings out the best in them.

In other words, the strong oaks grow where the strong winds blow. Wink

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:

In other words, the strong oaks grow where the strong winds blow. Wink

That is a great aphorism. I don't recall ever seeing that before and it just tells me there is more to learn. thanks for that.

Posts: 6387 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post