SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jennifer Lawrence to quit acting for a year to 'fix our democracy'
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jennifer Lawrence to quit acting for a year to 'fix our democracy' Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
There seems to be an endless supply of these morons. Have the communists been tinkering with our water again?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ianfiniti:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We're not a democracy, genius. We're a constitutional republic...

This isn't the first time I have seen this response to this sort of thing on this site.

Am I missing something? Last I learned we were both an democracy (albiet an indirect, or representative democracy) AND a republic, they aren't mutually exclusive...

Can someone explain this point of view to me, have I been wrong all this time?

That is right. We are both.

A republic is a government where power derives from the people - as opposed to a monarchy or dictatorship. This implies voting, whether directly or indirectly, but it isn't specific about how that is implemented.

We are also a representative democracy, meaning we elect representatives that then make policy and law. We have a form of democracy. Direct democracy can't work if you have to make more than a few decisions, and are dealing with more than a few hundred people.

Our democracy, as Chellim notes, is limited by the Constitution. Which is what people mean when they say we are a Constitutional democracy.

I guess to completely describe our system you could say we are a constitutional representative democracy, and a republic. Republic is the most general descriptor of that string, and is almost redundant once you know we have some form of democracy.

In contrast, Great Britain is nominally a monarchy, although in practice it is an indirect democracy as well. They call themselves a constitutional monarchy, although, best as I can tell, they don't mean that the power of the government is limited by a constitution (which they don't have), but that the monarch's power is limited by the elected parts of government. Of course, nowadays, the monarch's power is almost completely eliminated by the elected parts of the government.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jayhalsey:
I enjoy her pictures. And by "her pictures" I mean:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Her best work appears in a google search (Images) Her Daddie must be proud of her exhibitionism...

the ones that she takes on her phone and uploads to the cloud.

Those may be better even than her acting. She should stick to that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I know it's trite and frowned upon here, but I really DID say "Who?" and then looked her up. AFAIK, I've never watched anything with her in it.
I haven't either.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We're not a democracy, genius. We're a constitutional republic. How are you going to fix what you don't even understand?

The arrogance of these halfwits. You're just an actor. That's all. You're just an actor. You aren't going to "fix" jack shit. Snap out of it.

This is what I was going to say.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
In the Catnip movies she played the part of an archer.

AFAIAC, she took to archery like a duck takes to knitting.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Jennifer is a hometown girl, so she’s well known here; but no one is paying any attention to her at present, as the big brouhaha today is that the NCAA has taken away the 2013 UofL championship win thanks to “Slick Rick” Pitino’s “infractions” of the rules on “recruiting”, among other things.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have the utmost confidence that she will clean things up in less than a year. She seems so cerebral and junk.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
This actually explains it all.

quote:
Jennifer Lawrence Is a Middle-School Dropout

Jennifer Lawrence is an objectively successful human. The 27-year-old actress won her first Academy Award when she was just 22 and she's also been nominated three other times. It turns out that she didn't have a traditional path to success, though. In a new interview with 60 Minutes, Lawrence revealed that she dropped out of school when she was just 14.

"I dropped out of middle school. I don't technically have a GED or a diploma. I am self-educated," she explains in the interview.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyl...opout-204800301.html

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
I know it's trite and frowned upon here, but I really DID say "Who?" and then looked her up. AFAIK, I've never watched anything with her in it.
I haven't either.

flashguy

That's because y'all are old farts Razz (I'm well on my way to becoming an old fart, too.)

She's one of the most in-demand actresses going today. That doesn't mean she has a single political opinion worth a damn, but if ya haven't heard of her, it's just because you haven't been paying attention to new movies movies for the last 8 years.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Although it goes back several pages, I just wanted to thank darthfuster and repeat what he posted:

quote:
She's already off to a flaming chariot ride down the wrong path. The problems we have are the consequences of a toxicity in our culture. She and her fellow travelers are the greatest part of that toxicity. The corruption she seeks is in the lowered standards of abandoned morality and the great turning away of the 60's and 70's. We are now where those with eyes to see said we would be if we embraced moral decay. There is no amount of fixing consequences that will solve the core problem. The correction she hopes for is the only one she will not make.

Perfect. Thanks!

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Although it goes back several pages, I just wanted to thank darthfuster and repeat what he posted:

quote:
She's already off to a flaming chariot ride down the wrong path. The problems we have are the consequences of a toxicity in our culture. She and her fellow travelers are the greatest part of that toxicity. The corruption she seeks is in the lowered standards of abandoned morality and the great turning away of the 60's and 70's. We are now where those with eyes to see said we would be if we embraced moral decay. There is no amount of fixing consequences that will solve the core problem. The correction she hopes for is the only one she will not make.

Perfect. Thanks!

I might add that most liberals are either unwilling or incapable of realizing it is the values they promote that produce the problems in society they denounce.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Wow! A double "hear, hear!" to all of the above! Well said Darthfuster.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jennifer Lawrence to quit acting

Excellent!

quote:
to 'fix our democracy'

Awwww, damn.

Well, it sounded good for a minute there.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
I haven't either.

flashguy
That's because y'all are old farts Razz (I'm well on my way to becoming an old fart, too.)

She's one of the most in-demand actresses going today. That doesn't mean she has a single political opinion worth a damn, but if ya haven't heard of her, it's just because you haven't been paying attention to new movies movies for the last 8 years.
I haven't paid much attention to movies in the last dozen years, because there haven't been any worth seeing. I don't "do" movies with "social messages" or that are "chick flicks" or incorporate excessive gore. I don't watch Anime, either, and kids' movies are not for me (no children). I like good action movies and war movies that don't try to press social issues.

oddball, if she is "self-educated" it explains a lot.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I sure won’t miss her.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
I sure won’t miss her.

I confess that my 80 YO memory is getting kind of thin, but I have very dim memories of someone with her name. What she did, does, is a complete blank.

Of course, the last time I/we went to a movie theater was when Dr. Zhivago first came out. Which would have been in the late '60s or early '70s.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Do you think this might explain anything?
quote:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm222...io?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm:

Is really good friends with Amy Schumer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bas she's a decent actress, seems she needs to stick to what she knows.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She should run for congress. She pretends to be someone one day, then the next, she's someone else. Maybe she's a republican?

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post