SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jennifer Lawrence to quit acting for a year to 'fix our democracy'
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jennifer Lawrence to quit acting for a year to 'fix our democracy' Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
... I am usually able to separate entertainer's performances from their actual lives.

I used to be able to do that. Not so much, any more. E.g.: I'm disinclined to ever rent another movie with Liam Neeson in it and I've seriously considered giving away our collection of "Bourne" movies on DVD and BD, as I don't know as I'll ever watch them again.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Just a year? Oh please, why don't you take a decade or two and go away

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Saw this on the news last night and am still laughing. Anyone who's ever watched an interview with the rocket surgeon couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of this mindless nitwit's opinions on anything.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
No one will miss her. someone will simply take those jobs.

rscalzo - your avatar is huge!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
....And then I don’t know what I’m doing next.”

I think she's way ahead of herself.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
No one will miss her. someone will simply take those jobs.

rscalzo - your avatar is huge!

Wow! Is it ever!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
JJJLLAAWWW to the rescue! Great, I'm sure the system will have a dramatic metamorphosis with her shrewd and able guidance.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
....And then I don’t know what I’m doing next.”

I think she's way ahead of herself.

I hope it involves a goat!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8614 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Publicity stunt.

Seems to be working too, at least a little bit. So far in this thread I've counted two members who googled her that otherwise wouldn't have.

Very true, at least in my case. Devious little ...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Quite an undertaking on her part. I assumed she must have qualifications such as a PhD in Political Science, Economics or Public Policy, but when I looked her up on Wikipedia, it said she dropped out of high school at age 14, and years later was allegedly home schooled for two years to get her high school diploma. She's got her work cut out for her.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Hollywood encounters the concept of the Constitutional Republic...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another "useful idiot" .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The only person in recent history to enter politics with honest intentions was Guy Fawkes.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
The only person in recent history to enter politics with honest intentions was Guy Fawkes.

tac

Big Grin

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ianfiniti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We're not a democracy, genius. We're a constitutional republic...

This isn't the first time I have seen this response to this sort of thing on this site.

Am I missing something? Last I learned we were both an democracy (albiet an indirect, or representative democracy) AND a republic, they aren't mutually exclusive...

Can someone explain this point of view to me, have I been wrong all this time?

O, here will I set up my everlasting rest and shake the yoke of inauspicious stars from this world-wearied flesh. Eyes, look your last. Arms, take your last embrace and lips, of you, the doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss. Here's to my love.

Posts: 83 | Registered: August 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I missing something? Last I learned we were both an democracy (albiet an indirect, or representative democracy) AND a republic, they aren't mutually exclusive...

Yes....

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
-- Marvin Simkin, "Individual Rights"

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
But she has increasingly made herself obnoxious on political matters. So much so that I have soured on her, and I am usually able to separate entertainer's performances from their actual lives.

I too can usually separate an entertainer's voting stance, but when they try to become de facto leftist politicians themselves, or when they think they are so fucking important to change public opinion or policy using their celebrity status, I will not deal with them as a customer.

I have never seen this actress in a film. I vaguely know what she looks like. Much of the time, I am glad that I'm hopelessly ignorant of much of today's pop culture. She sounds really stupid.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy her pictures. And by "her pictures" I mean:

quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Her best work appears in a google search (Images) Her Daddie must be proud of her exhibitionism...

the ones that she takes on her phone and uploads to the cloud.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've never seen any of her movies and she doesn't "ring my bell" but what I have seen and read she seems to be just another Hollywood type that's a bit full of herself.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post