SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jennifer Lawrence to quit acting for a year to 'fix our democracy'
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jennifer Lawrence to quit acting for a year to 'fix our democracy' Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, Jennifer who?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Please

Have mercy, huh?

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the fact that her last few films tanked had nothing to do with this decision.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
She's already off to a flaming chariot ride down the wrong path. The problems we have are the consequences of a toxicity in our culture. She and her fellow travelers are the greatest part of that toxicity. The corruption she seeks is in the lowered standards of abandoned morality and the great turning away of the 60's and 70's. We are now where those with eyes to see said we would be if we embraced moral decay. There is no amount of fixing consequences that will solve the core problem. The correction she hopes for is the only one she will not make.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In one year, Jennifer Lawrence will be one year older and have more wrinkles. That's about it.

And, honestly, I could not name one single film she's been in. That's the truth. If she stopped acting altogether, I woudn't even notice.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
She's cute but beyond that I don't give a shit that she even exists. There are other good looking actresses that keep their opinions to themselves so we'll be just fine without her.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I know who she is, she is cute, I don't care about her political or social views and her claims that her activism work will have nothing to do with partisan politics is patent bullshit.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Lawrence will be working with Represent.US, an "anti-corruption" organization that seeks to "get money out of politics," because every issue they "care about is blocked or skewed by our rigged political system." Lawrence has made appearances on behalf of Represent.US before, pushing their "Anti-Corruption Act" to "end secret money" and "stop political bribery."

It likely will not come as a shock that Represent.US is heavily funded by far-left donors like the Rockefeller Brothers Fund and the George Soros-sponsored TIDES foundation, neither of which are particularly interested in getting money out of politics — both pump millions (if not tens of millions) into various Democratic campaigns and "progressive policy initiatives".

https://www.dailywire.com/news...-order-emily-zanotti

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24071 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Allow me to clarify.

The name didn't ring a bell, so I had to google her. She didn't look familiar so I looked at her movie list, and I haven't seen any of them. I don't know who this famous actress is and would probably walk right by her and not even notice her.

Back when I was a kid the premise that you could make an impact or change the world was all about becoming part of a great organization that changes things, or maybe getting good enough to invent something, or lead a team that can have a real influence to make lives better.

Today that premise seems to be that if you don't like something, or it isn't the way you want it, you absolutely MUST try and change it through protests, activism, social media, and if you don't get your way do it more or louder. We're devolving into a nation of individualistic brats with no understanding of the issues that they oppose other than that they don't like it.

I'd prefer they just go back to posting on twatter about the design in their double espresso latte this morning and leave "the changing the world" to the smart experienced people.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
There must be some measure --- how stupid does one need to be in order to not realize one is stupid?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I just use these as teaching moments for my kids and their friends.
See kids, these people's job is to pretend for a living. They are in movies but also do commercials for anyone who will pay them enough. That's why people like Leo Decaprio and Jen Lawrence speak at award shows and such. They are paid to do so and try to pass off these commercials as their own view in hopes that their celebrity will sell these ideas.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Lawrence, unfortunately, she's betrayed her Louisville roots and has gone all-in with the Hollywood crowd, much like Welsh actor Michael Sheen who did the same after Brexit.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I like Lawrence, unfortunately, she's betrayed her Louisville roots and has gone all-in with the Hollywood crowd, much like Welsh actor Michael Sheen who did the same after Brexit.

IF she headquarters her efforts in Los Angeles, there will be plenty of knuckleheads that will follow her.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Her best work appears in a google search (Images) Her Daddie must be proud of her exhibitionism...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
An edited statement from Jenn:

“ Jennifer Lawrence said she is taking a break to ‘fix our democracy’.”

She claims her activism work will have nothing to do with partisan politics.

Its work focuses primarily on fighting corruption.

In 2015, she said “If Donald Trump becomes president, that will be the end of the world,” according to Entertainment Weekly.

More recently, she suggested the devastating hurricanes in Texas and Florida last year were signs of “Mother Nature’s rage and wrath” at America for electing Trump and not believing in man-made climate change.

‘She’ urged Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-NY., and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., to pass a legislation to protect DACA recipients, The Hill reported.

And … I don’t know what I’m doing...”

And to repeat in the first verse she assures us that ‘her activism work will have nothing to do with partisan politics’.

OK, so I edited a bit, it still says what she says. I think all of us should be thrilled and delighted that important people like Jenn, the Jenn-dog, Jenn-a-roonie, the Jennster will give up their contributions to the arts and humanities and give us a year to save us. Anybody who says otherwise is a stupid-head and karma will send mom-nature to fuck them up.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not the first time she's made a big announcement.
Jennifer Lawrence Wants to take an Acting Break and Milk Goats

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I don't know who this famous actress is and would probably walk right by her and not even notice her.

Well, she is exceptionally good-looking, so you'd probably notice her. Wink

But otherwise, yes. Why she thinks she has anything to offer that can fix our representative democracy is beyond me.

She is a better than average actress, and originally seemed in interviews to be a charming and fun person. But she has increasingly made herself obnoxious on political matters. So much so that I have soured on her, and I am usually able to separate entertainer's performances from their actual lives.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She has already solved the World's shortage of nude selfies.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Her and Shiba Lapoof should shack up and raise un-inoculated libtard children.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Publicity stunt.

Seems to be working too, at least a little bit. So far in this thread I've counted two members who googled her that otherwise wouldn't have.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post