SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jennifer Lawrence to quit acting for a year to 'fix our democracy'
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jennifer Lawrence to quit acting for a year to 'fix our democracy' Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
Well, that's a relief...

http://www.foxnews.com/enterta...x-our-democracy.html

Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Lawrence said she is taking a year-long break from acting to focus on activism and helping to “fix our democracy.”

The Hollywood A-lister revealed her grand future plans on Thursday while promoting her new movie “Red Sparrow.”

“I’m going to take the next year off,” Lawrence told Entertainment Tonight, “I’m going to be working with this organization I’m a part of: Represent.Us. It’s just trying to get young people engaged politically on a local level.”

She claims her activism work will have nothing to do with partisan politics. “It’s just anti-corruption and stuff trying to pass state-by-state laws that can help prevent corruption, fix our democracy. And then I don’t know what I’m doing next.”

The organization Lawrence got involved in claims to bring together “conservatives, progressives, and everyone in between to pass powerful anti-corruption laws that stop political bribery, end secret money, and fix our broken elections.” Its work focuses primarily on fighting corruption.

Lawrence has long expressed interest in activism, attacking President Donald Trump multiple times. In 2015, she said “If Donald Trump becomes president, that will be the end of the world,” according to Entertainment Weekly.

More recently, she suggested the devastating hurricanes in Texas and Florida last year were signs of “Mother Nature’s rage and wrath” at America for electing Trump and not believing in man-made climate change.

“You know, you’re watching these hurricanes now, and it’s really hard, especially while promoting this movie, not to feel Mother Nature’s rage and wrath," she said back in September.

Lawrence also joined dozens of other Hollywood stars to sign a letter urging Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-NY., and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., to pass a legislation to protect DACA recipients, The Hill reported.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We're not a democracy, genius. We're a constitutional republic. How are you going to fix what you don't even understand?

The arrogance of these halfwits. You're just an actor. That's all. You're just an actor. You aren't going to "fix" jack shit. Snap out of it.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
As the saying goes, "Well bless her heart". Yeah Jen...good luck with all that. Be sure to check your white privilege at the door!! Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
"I play dress-up for a living and I have something to say!"

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
We’re saved! Big Grin:

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's been acting? Huh, I mistook it for flouncing around saying "look at ma boobs"

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Wow, if she can get that done in just a year maybe we should elect her to be the President (just kidding of course).
They continue to amaze me by thinking that being good at playing pretend makes them a genius of some sort.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
This will be short lived. Once this imbecile moves away from the spotlight and realizes that it didn't follow her, she'll quickly abandon her mission to save us all Roll Eyes

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
It sounds grand and unassailable to say "fix our democracy" but the truth of the matter is that all she really means is "elect more democrats"

BTW if she wants to really eschew partisan politics and help pass state-by-state laws to fix broken elections, I wonder how hard she will work to pass voter ID legislation???

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
"I play dress-up for a living and I have something to say!"
More like - I read what other people write for a living and I I have something to say

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
She going to run around with her bow and arrow and root out all the corruption in the democratic party?

These hollywood types living in their pretend worlds, most unstable, emotionally damaged and quite a few cards short of a full deck.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't be too messed up if it'll only take a year.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
That's too bad. I actually like her. Seemed like a down to earth chick that you could get a shot and a beer with. Turns out she's just as loony as the rest of them. Confused

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s just anti-corruption and stuff...

Yeah-h, that’ll be great; bring me a cup of coffee when you come back.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Can't be too messed up if it'll only take a year.

It’s code for ‘nobody is hiring me right now so I will throw public tantrums until somebody does’.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
It’s just anti-corruption and stuff...

Yeah-h, that’ll be great; bring me a cup of coffee when you come back.

That's great! Once she starts her anti-corruption website we can send her all that inconvenient information on Uranium One and the Clinton Foundation.

That ought to keep her busy; right?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Wonderful! I hope she will extend to a year and a half so she can also end world hunger. Or-- though we would miss her acting genius-- (she's an actress, right?)-- if she could make it two years and cure cancer we would all be so grateful.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I know it's trite and frowned upon here, but I really DID say "Who?" and then looked her up. AFAIK, I've never watched anything with her in it.

Of course, her Barbie Doll looks (and, I suspect, matching intellect) certainly qualifies her to fix "our democracy". Roll Eyes

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
No one will miss her. someone will simply take those jobs.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Ambassador to Afghanistan!

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post