SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Needle disposal boxes coming to some Starbucks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Needle disposal boxes coming to some Starbucks Login/Join 
posted
Interesting story here.

Needle disposal boxes will be installed at some Starbucks locations after employees signed a petition asking for them to be put in.

The company says that they will be installed at some locations because employees have found discarded bloody needles and syringes in bathrooms, USA Today reports. More than 3,750 workers have signed a petition asking for the boxes to be installed in “high-risk” bathrooms.

Starbucks says it trains its employees how to deal with needles safely, Business Insider reports, but the petition claims that “employees risk getting poked, and DO get poked, even when following ‘protocol’ of using gloves and tongs to dispose of used needles left in bathrooms, tampon disposal boxes, and diaper changing stations.”

Starbucks’ bathrooms are now open to the public, which some workers say has made them more prone to safety issues.

Starbucks also says employees are not forced to clean up needles if they are found, but the petition claims that sometimes a refusal to do so is met with “a veiled threat” that the cost of bringing in a hazmat team will come from the store’s budget, meaning “even less staff coverage on an already short-staffed floor because no money to pay them.”

Employees also say getting poked by a needle hidden in a trash bag is a real concern when taking out bathroom trash at some locations, and some have reported having to take antiviral medications after getting poked to protect themselves after potential exposure to HIV and hepatitis.

Starbucks says it will look at foot traffic and other factors when deciding where to install sharps-disposal boxes and will also experiment with using heavier-duty trash bags or removing trash cans entirely from some bathrooms. (How a policy change kept 120 people from getting HIV.)

LINK: https://wgntv.com/2019/01/10/n...g-to-some-starbucks/

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
No f'ing way in hell I'm picking up used needles in a bathroom for Starbucks minimum wage...

Their "veiled threat" would get me telling them to fuck right off in a real hurry

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They could just do something sensible like, oh I don't know, not letting the dregs of society take up residence inside their bathrooms. But then I guess that could be racist, so lets go ahead and continue to subject employees to this filth. Good reminder of why I never go to Starbucks anymore. Dunkin coffee is better anyway.

Posts: 327 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Nothing new.
Both Cabela's and Chick Fil A here have sharps containers in their bathrooms.
Granted the clientele using those boxes is slightly different but sure beats someone else getting stuck.
Though I doubt the addicts will bother to drop them in the box.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Buy a frappuccino and get HIV/Hepatitis for free Eek

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Belief it not, there are diabetics like my daughter that use the boxes for legitimate health reasons.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Belief it not, there are diabetics like my daughter that use the boxes for legitimate health reasons.
I'm sure that is true, but I doubt that the druggies will use them, even if they are installed.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pre meal insulin is a common medication for diabetics and disposal of the needles in a sharps container is convenient for those so affected. I understand the junkies probably won't be inclined to use them because they often reuse syringes but for those folks that legitimately use them it is a nice gesture.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:

Bless your daughter, sending good thoughts her way. I hope you and your family do very well in the new year.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've seen them in a few places before.

I wonder what is Starbucks reasoning or really where are the needles coming from that are causing the problem.

The boxes I have seen in other places seem to be more for the diabetic crowd. I have a feeling Starbucks new policy on bathroom use and hanging out in their stores is attracting a different crowd.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I actually went off on a guy in the men's room at Cabela's. He was making some absolute over the top comments about the sharps disposal container. I asked him if he ever heard of diabetes and suggested that with his current body weight and age he might want to research it.

Yes, Starbuck's may be attracting urban outdoorsmen with their current policies. But there are legit reasons for having a sharps disposal container.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
But there are legit reasons for having a sharps disposal container.

My significant other got stabbed deeply with an insulin needle while cleaning one of the restrooms at her restaurant.

I'm seeing sharps containers at more and more places. I suspect many go unnoticed by those who don't have the need to use them.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Reap that which you sow.

There's an article about one or two locations in the Hillcrest area of San Diego closing this week because of the "new" occupants.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Originally I was no fan of Starbucks based on burnt tasting $4 coffee.

Now there seems to be so many more reasons to avoid them, is that considered progress?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I didn’t get the impression that insulin users are the sole focus here. Otherwise, why isn’t Starbucks installing receptacles in every store with a bathroom? This is clearly in response to their business model of allowing transient drug users to squat on premesis.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I am diabetic, not insulin requiring, but I do understand the need for disposal boxes.

As far as starbucks and their policy, could care less. Was forced to drink some of their coffee on a international flight several years ago. Cured me, and my wife of Starbucks crap.

I find it a little weird when our grandson who lives with us will not drink coffee here, but will spend up to $7 for a cup of that shit at starbucks.

Perhaps the situation could be improved if management at starbucks, and other public places, actually did their jobs and impressed the druggies with the idea of police intervention if they continued to use the restrooms as away from home "shooting up" stations.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I didn’t get the impression that insulin users are the sole focus here. Otherwise, why isn’t Starbucks installing receptacles in every store with a bathroom? This is clearly in response to their business model of allowing transient drug users to squat on premesis.

Yep. This isn't about diabetics, this is about heroin users. This is why liberal ideas suck.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find it a little weird when our grandson who lives with us will not drink coffee here, but will spend up to $7 for a cup of that shit at starbucks.

I find it more than a little weird, I think it's truly bizarre that this younger generation of 20 somethings (millennial or post-millennial) spend whatever they have on frivolities like an over-priced cup of coffee but don't seem interested in saving up some money to 'get ahead', court a spouse, save for a house, and start family formation.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Good, Starbucks can die for all I care.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post