SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dishwasher shopping
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dishwasher shopping Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
We run ours twice a day and have to wipe or set out to dry a fair amount of the load.

Eek Eek Eek
How many dishes are you using?

We run our Bosch maybe twice a week...family of 3; one being a teenager

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to dissent on the Bosch. The lack of heating element *always* leaves wet dishes. We run ours twice a day and have to wipe or set out to dry a fair amount of the load. And about 1/3 of the time the soap dispenser does not open (it's very finicky about how much you put in and we never fill it more than 1/2 way). On top of that, the normal cycle is 2 hours 20 minutes Eek (that may be a factor of the most recent changes in gov't standards that force using less water, but result in longer cycles). It is, however, fairly quiet and does a decent job of cleaning.

I would not, however, recommend it.

Are you adding Jet Dry if so I wonder if it is not being administered properly for some reason in your machine.
As mentioned in my post if I am low on jet dry the dishes will still be wet.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions all. But, do I want a food grinder or just a filter? What about if I need parts? Shipped from Germany or available here?

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
I have to dissent on the Bosch. The lack of heating element *always* leaves wet dishes. We run ours twice a day and have to wipe or set out to dry a fair amount of the load. And about 1/3 of the time the soap dispenser does not open (it's very finicky about how much you put in and we never fill it more than 1/2 way). On top of that, the normal cycle is 2 hours 20 minutes Eek (that may be a factor of the most recent changes in gov't standards that force using less water, but result in longer cycles). It is, however, fairly quiet and does a decent job of cleaning.

Are you adding Jet Dry if so I wonder if it is not being administered properly for some reason in your machine.

No on the Jet Dry, as we don't care for those kind of chemical surfactants on our dishes. If we'd known we'd need to use the stuff before we bought, we'd have looked at another brand.

Posts: 700 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
As I understand, EPA regulations on low energy use limits dishwashers on energy usage, drying being the highest power draw.

Jet Dry type products help to dry with limited drying energy use.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Maytag is still the best thing out there.

For you current Kitchen Aid owners, you will not be impressed with the current crop

Finally 2.5 to 3.5 hours is a normal cycle time now due to the ultra low water use.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Bosch after all the reviews on SF. I would never get another one again. That thing would stink after 3 days. I cleaned the trap and used the dishwasher cleaners with no help.

We have a Samsung in the new house and no odor issues.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I asked Appliance Brad for dishwasher recommendations about 2-years ago. He recommended the Maytag, Model MDB8969SDH. Great washer, SUPER quiet. I would recommend this brand/model.

I have had the Maytag in my last 2 houses and would highly recommend it as well.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. I have checked out the Maytags and am impressed. 10 year warranty to boot. The hidden controls is 47 db and the standard one is 50 db. It all comes down to what my wife likes.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Petr,

Check your gmail, I sent you something may be helpful if you're looking at Maytag, Kitchenaid or any of the Whirlpool brands. I am a Whirlpool employee, and my preference is the Kitchenaid models with the garbage disposal. Good luck in your search.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you absolut! The Maytag I was looking at is the 8959 model with the food processor.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

No on the Jet Dry, as we don't care for those kind of chemical surfactants on our dishes. If we'd known we'd need to use the stuff before we bought, we'd have looked at another brand.

Pretty much with the government mandates, ALL brands need jet dry to work/dry properly. Also try using the finish tablets instead of liquid or powdered detergent. Every dishwasher I ever had, works great with the finish tablets.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
we have a samsung and it is so quite we don't even know its running

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I have a Bosch as well. It's not top.of the line but it is quiet.
One cool thing that happened to me. I noticed my sink.was clogged while the dishwasher was running so I went to get a plunger too late the pump freed the clog for me.

As a side note I got the model with buttons on top of the door. This way no kids can push buttons by accident or adults for that matter.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I had a Bosch in Calgary, and used Jet Dry but it left spotty dishes and didn't clean all that well.

I bought a top of the line Kenmore in Anchorage and it was quiet, cleaned well, and dried well. I liked it better than the Bosch.

My current house has a GE and I like it better than the Bosch too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post