SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help! Christmas lights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Christmas lights Login/Join 
posted
Bought a new single strand of C-9 lights, 100 ft. To line the roofline, as I’ve done in the past. Strand comes with a 5 amp fuse.
As soon as I plug in the lights through a grounded extension cord, the fuse blows, lights out.
Tried another extension cord, another outlet, same result.
In the past I’ve had three separate 25 ft strands, connected together, with no problem.
Called the place I got them (Colorado). Guy assured me it was probably a bad strand and that the 5 amp fuse was adequate. He sent me a new strand off the show room that he said was working.
Another hour taking down the old strand, unscrewing, then screwing in the bulbs, plug it in and blows immediately again.
Except for the additional 25 ft and a single strand of lights, all is the same.

Calculates that at 7W per bulb and 100 bulbs = 700 W should require about 5.6 amp fuse (came with 5), I tried a 6 amp and still blew.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Merry Christmas! Frown

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
How long and what gauge extension cord?

Same outlet?

I would try the strand on another circuit, first without and then with the extension cord.

Then if it still good, try the same way on the original outlet.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
700w/120v=5.83a

Very close to 6a so if the bulbs are drawing slightly more or you house is below 120v coming in you might be exceeding the 6a fuse, definitely exceeding the 5a. Try running two extension cords. Hook up 2 or 3 to one and 1 or 2 to the other.

Also as the monkey stated if its a long run then you have to deal with voltage drop. The voltage drops the further you run wiring. So if the extension cord is 16awg, then the xmas lights are 16 or 18awg and plugged in a long distance from the panel to outlet to strings you can easily exceed 6a.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
700w/120v=5.83a

Very close to 6a so if the bulbs are drawing slightly more or you house is below 120v coming in you might be exceeding the 6a fuse, definitely exceeding the 5a. Try running two extension cords. Hook up 2 or 3 to one and 1 or 2 to the other.

Also as the monkey stated if its a long run then you have to deal with voltage drop. The voltage drops the further you run wiring. So if the extension cord is 16awg, then the xmas lights are 16 or 18awg and plugged in a long distance from the panel to outlet to strings you can easily exceed 6a.

This. I had a similar issue and my dad said to tie in another extension cord and my GFCI quit popping in the house.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
How long and what gauge extension cord?

That was my problem the other day...
I blew my extension cord. I used a heavier gauge and they are working again.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Them thirsty l'il lights need a bigger straw to suck all them electrons.

Too skinny a straw, the straw collapses, and then it's lights out.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks much guys! Great insight and think I’ve put your ideas together for a plan that will work.
Tks SigMonkey, you’re right, should’ve plugged directly into wall first off, make sure they work at all. Will then get a shorter length extension cord of heavier gauge wire. That should do it.

Merry Christmas!! Happy again Smile

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are these LED lights ?

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never mind , I looked them up . C-9 is the old school bulbs .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
They do make LED C9 bulbs, but if they're drawing 7W each they're not LED.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post