SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    public restroom if you own a business
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

public restroom if you own a business Login/Join 
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Many moons ago I worked at a busy gas station. To say that people are pigs in a public restroom is a huge understatement. One of our workers put a sign in the woman's restroom that said "Please remain seated during entire performance". Eek
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
Anyone who has ever owned a business will tell you what happens in restrooms provided for the general public, or even for employees. It is never pretty. It is always expensive to repair and clean up.

The only term that is accurate is "predictable".

In one of the companies I worked for, there was a big contingent of workers from one nation. Every week, there was at least one toilet that needed to be worked on. It's like people were purposely plugging it with whole rolls of toilet paper. But it wasn't intentional. There were some who would drape the cracks in the stalls with toilet paper, apparently for privacy. And you can tell, they would squat over the bowl with their feet on the toilet seat.

The guy in charge of facilities was complaining it was costing at least $10,000 a month to fix the bathrooms.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
No public restrooms, if at all possible. Far too much liability, and aggravation.

For the decent human beings, who are inconvenienced, I understand. I'm getting to the age where peeing is a fairly frequent occurrence, myself.

But, the truth is, most of the people who come in screaming for a restroom, are drunk off their ass, and will wreck a place, deliberately.

(We do let parents of children take their kids to use the restroom.)

I think the degradation of the public, is corrosive. Once thugs, addicts, and drunks, and lunatics were allowed to be loose in public, they degraded the behavior and tone of everyone.

I agree with equality under the law, but I think society should be free to discriminate in any fashion, and manner they so chose.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I think this is regionally dependent, based on local laws. For instance, in Florida, EVERY place of business has a public restroom. I have lived here for 30 plus years and I can hardly ever recall a business not having a public access restroom. I "think" they are required here.

That said, I've been up north and its very hard to find a public bathroom in many cities. Everyone tells you to screw off if you ask for the bathroom.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a business that’s open to the public, and don’t have a restroom I can use then I won’t trade with you. I understand having trouble with homeless and drug addicts but I don’t look like either. I dress well and am clean.

I was in an Austin record CD a couple of years ago. It’s known to have a great supply. Yes I still buy CDs. I had driven about 30 miles to visit the store and take care of other business.

At 72, I get a full bladder after an hour on the road. As I was paying, I asked the cashier, the hipster in Lumberjack drag, where the john was. We don’t have one He said.

I stopped the transaction and walked, leaving over 100.00 of purchases.

I had to walk down the street to a bookstore, my next scheduled stop, to use a restroom.

If you’re open to the public, and I’m a paying customer, and you don’t allow, then bye.

I will go to the online ratings, and this area has local forums for senior citizens, and I describe the business as “ Senior Citizen Hostile”.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Point if interest. If we are traveling in Texas on the I35 or I45 corridors, we always plan our bathroom breaks to stop at a
Buc ee's. They have the cleanest, well maintained bathrooms I've ever seen at a road side stop. 10+ stalls and urinals, all sparkling clean. Plus we can pick up some beaver nuggets to munch on.

10? Must be the small BucEes on 290 outside Austin.
I think all the others have closer to 20+, and sparkling clean.

Last one I was in, is the one on I10 just west of Baytown (East Houston). Still under some renovation, but still packed & clean.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
almost 41 yrs of retail,

1st,, generally speaking, women are far nastier than men ever thought about being,

worked in a store were a customer was nicknamed old stinky,

he had some bowel issues, and while he did make it to the restroom, he usually shit all over it,
I'm talking projectile type wet sticky kind, he literally painted a line 360 degrees around a stall one day and left his tighty not so whities in the floor,

went thru a remodel once, brand new restrooms in the building,

lady came in that worked at a group home, and brought a handful of her special needs live in's with her, (normal thing, they are usually good natured and deserve getting out in the public)
well one guy, a very happy fellow, had to go,
and so did his friends,
he was not fast enough to grab a stall so he shat in the urinal,
and infront of the urinal,
and , while standing with the door open to the public, and his pants around his ankles, he shat in his pants ,

laughing as he did so,

I've had food poisoning that cause me to empty my insides out, and I swear I have never seen anyone shit that much,,

the person that brought them got him cleaned up and in the van,

I was fortunate and had my 2 worst baggers ever working that night, and they got restroom duty,

one quit in the middle of the cleanup, the other was good enough to finish before he quit,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Disgusting but funny animated drawing that seems accurate. Don't click if you think you'll be offended:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals...f8649eabb3204a61.gif

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Disgusting but funny animated drawing that seems accurate. Don't click if you think you'll be offended:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals...f8649eabb3204a61.gif

That image represents the truth.
It actually made me laugh out loud.
Smile

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
About 100 years ago, I worked at a gas station that didn't have a public restroom. We had a toilet in the "manager's closet/office" where she would count money and do reports. Her seat was the toilet.

One day an old guy came in and asked to use the toilet. I told him we don't have a public restroom and he'd have to go across the street to the pizza shop. He said "oh no, I'm not gonna make it" and he ran back and locked himself in the office. I knocked and told him to get out of there. I had to take care of customers so I had to leave him in there. He came out and tried to pay me $50 and apologized. I told him to beat it before I called the cops.

The manager came back a few minutes later from making the daily bank deposit and goes to the office.

"OH MY GOD!! WHAT THE HELL?!? THERE'S SHIT EVERYWHERE!!!"

See, you had to be nimble to squeeze between the makeshift desk and the toilet tank and the old man wasn't.

I couldn't hold my composure and laughed my nuts off as the manager retched over and over trying to clean the office. HAHAHA.

Yeah, the general public is vile. I'd never offer a restroom to the public unless compelled by law.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I've worked part-time at a small mom & pop, ( well.. just the mom anyways ) gun shop for last six years or so. There's a very small bathroom for the employees in the back, though we do let trusted/long-time customers/First Responders on duty, etc, use it along with the occasional parent with small child. The front door of the store has a sign posted that states: 'No Public Restroom'.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
A friend was a janitor and told me, in fact he told everybody who would listen, that the ladies restroom was always much nastier than the mens.

Having said that, my previous employer was a home health care pharmacy and infusion service. We had 93 employees in the building, about 85 women and 8 men. No kidding. The women were always bitching about how nasty the ladies room was, even though it was cleaned every night by a pro crew. It got nasty in the first few hours every day.

Most of our patients were in home, but we had 4 treatment rooms in our building for patients who walked in for treatments. That meant we had patients who would need to use the restrooms.

This was in a warehouse style building, with only one mens and only one ladies room. One mens room was fine as there were only 8 male employees. The ladies either needed a restroom 5 times the current size, or one or 2 more added, but that never happened due to "oh gee that costs too much to do".

So having said all that, and I've never forgotten this and never will til my dying day, I hear the intercom click on and a female voice exclaimed, in a very pissed off and disgusted tone of voice:

"EWWWWW there's blood on a toilet seat!!!! Get your ass back in there and clean it up, whoever did it!!!!!"

I was mortified and was trying not to laugh when the big boss came through and said who the hell was that on the intercom. Well I knew who it was because I recognized the female voice but I just shook my head no.

A few minutes later the big boss called an emergency meeting, ladies only to attend, to never ever do that again, as we had patients in the building as well as some visitors in the big bosses office.

So yeah, ladies are normally very clean, but when you get a bunch together in an office, they get nasty in the restroom. I'm informed that most will "hover" over the toilet instead of sitting, and they sort of miss. Disgusting.

After a day or two the big boss came by and made a comment about it.

My reply was why not just hire a fulltime woman to be a restroom attendant? Keep it clean all day long?

His reply, predictably, was nope, costs too much.

Oh the joys of working with a lot of women!!!!

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I am part owner of a small software company. We have restrooms in our building that are mostly the used by employees, but also the occasional client. They aren’t really open to the public. That said, we have some folks who desperately need to see a GI doctor. These boys explode regularly. My kids and I clean the restrooms every weekend. I figure it is good for the kids, and for the employees to see I’m not to good to scrub their shit. We don’t usually have the utter devastation you see in public restrooms, but any toilet that sees 20+ asses a day is going to get gnarly.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My first job was at a Dunkin Dounts in the late 1980's. Someone took a shit in the men's room and smeared their shit all over the walls. Thank god I didn't work that day. A female co-worker was. The owner told her to clean it up. She refused and told him she would quit before cleaning that up. He cleaned it himself.

No idea why some people are so disgusting.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I was the cart jockey of a Target store when I was in high school. My job was to get the carts out of the parking lot, clean the bathrooms, clean up any spills in the store, empty the trash cans, and to get supplies for the cashiers (bags, register tape, etc)

One idiot pooped all over the mens bathroom floor from one end of the bathroom to the other end. And then covered a stall top to bottom in piss and shit.

Manager told me to clean it up and I asked to see where it said in my job description that I would subject myself to biological waste without proper protective gear.... crickets. Told him I would quit before I cleaned it up. Manager cleaned it himself.

So yeah I guess being a manger has some perks Smile

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
This thread delivers.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't blame businesses for not having public restrooms, but I was in a gas station to buy gas - in other words, a CUSTOMER - and needed to use the restroom. They had THAT one closed, they said, because of covid. That's bullshit and they will no longer get my business.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was in a gas station to buy gas - in other words, a CUSTOMER - and needed to use the restroom. They had THAT one closed, they said, because of covid.

As this nonsense first started, I was out working and stopped at a fast food restaurant to buy lunch. No dine in, no restrooms, but you could walk in to order at the counter.

I inquired as to how I was supposed to follow CDC guidelines and wash my hands prior to eating. Blank stares.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

I think this is regionally dependent, based on local laws. For instance, in Florida, EVERY place of business has a public restroom. I have lived here for 30 plus years and I can hardly ever recall a business not having a public access restroom. I "think" they are required here.
Not sure how you define "public access." Here in Florida, I know of many retail stores, quite a few are in tourist areas, that restrict use of restrooms to employees and customers. Not for use by the general "public" who wander in off the street just to use the restrooms.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Our offices have restrooms for the employees. Fortunately the general public does not come into our building, but we do allow business associates and truck drivers making deliveries to use the facilities. We've never had problem.

On the other hand...

I worked at my uncle's gas station as a teenager. It was located at a busy interstate exit. This was the old-fashioned, full service station; I'd fill the tank with gas, check under the hood and wash the windshield. I also cleaned the restrooms. Some people are disgusting and, believe it or not, the women could be worse than the men. In the summertime, you could scrub the bathroom top-to-bottom and within a few hours, it could look like it had never been cleaned.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post